Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. DisposableHero

DisposableHero Chieftain

Can anyone explain what the Totestra script seeds are? Are these pregenerated maps?

Sergey_Kalinin likes this.
  2. Hafenguy

Hafenguy Chieftain

Hi folks,

i trid realis invictus 1st. time and like it very much.
    After a short while with civ 5 and vox populi I finally came back to civ 4 . It is so better, civ 5 seems like playing on railroads.
    Now Im very curious to try this app.

But before i could do that I have two questions:
    - is there a way to install blue marble? I tried the tipp from rkade8583 to change the fond size and it worked very well. Now I guess there has to be a way to install the graphik files with blue marble?
    - The best way i could learn to play with new civ versions is by a story.
    Is there anywhere a Realism Invcitus story in german?
    I already tried the german civforum but there isnt anything like that.

So thank you very much in Advance for your answer.

PS: sorry for my bad english

3. WaywardRogue77

WaywardRogue77 Chieftain

Does anyone know if the Europe scenario map can be finished all the way through? What about the large earth map scenario? I know the huge world map scenario (which is absolutely awesome) sadly can’t really be finished without tons of crashes etc. I have a top end Pc (128gb ram, top graphics card etc) and was just wondering if any of you have finished any of the above scenario maps. (I simply love the scenarios way over random plays. They are so awesome!)
    I also appreciate any who have worked on this mod. It is simply the best mod I have ever played. Period.

4. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

A bit more feedback, mostly thoughts about balance.
    1) I don't think a monument should go obsolete. First, for an earlygame culture building there is a storyteller circle. If I expand quickly and run out of storyteller circles I build monuments but it's extremely rare. Second, it becomes discontinued before I start filling cities with buildings. Technically it's because of my game settings preferences (I play with raging barbarians) but still a culture only building in the earlygame has a quite low priority. Third, in real life people have been erecting monuments all the time. It doesn't feel right to be constrained to an ancient era.
    2) Is there a way to show +4:gold: only from existing great works of art when hovering over the National Art Gallery?
    3) Pigs as a resource is horrible. I almost never make a pasture on pigs and if I do I either don't connect the resource with roads or sell it right away. +1% of epidemic is already nasty but the pasture is also bad. A regular farm makes more food on pigs with irrigation systems. A windmill makes more stats on pigs than pasture even without tech or building support.
    4) Is there a way to decouple the promote+heal function like it's done in civ5? The combat system is very polarizing and I think this change is mild but strong enough to help with the system.
    5) I think that units in the heavy infantry line in their current form are useless. Not only there are not enough melee units in games but also there is a mechanic that protects stacks from such types of units. They are even bad versus slave or serf revolts. Why would I build 1:move: swordsmen with 6+25%:strength: vs melee when I can build 2:move: skirmishers with 4+50% and feature bonuses or 3:move: horse archers with 5+50% or 2:move: cataphracts with 7+25%? I think there is no point or sense to give heavy infantry more power vs melee. I've thought of giving them the ability to target melee units in combat outside cities.
    6) Found a discrepancy in the system that shows leader's AI personality. In this save (after the turn is ended) I'm being attacked by an Israeli Kingdom lead by David. But our relations are green (he is pleased). And Civilopedia states that he never attacks on pleased relations.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  5. 46852

46852 Warlord

Is the "ahead of time" bonus behaving correctly for everyone when loading and saving different games? If I make for example an industrial start custom game, then immediately load another game from an earlier era, this game now has the industrial era "ahead of time" bonuses active.

6. PaperPaulo

PaperPaulo Chieftain

Is Seafarer an overpowered trait that needs to be split into 2 new positive traits?
    If yes, one would cover the economical benefits of Seafarer and another would cover the military benefits of Seafarer, right?

Military benefits for (new) Dominator such as that free promo on naval units that originally belongs to (old) Seafarer AND +3XP to all military air units AND 50% faster production to military naval and military air buildings, AND extra air capacity for stacking planes/missiles within cities.

Economic benefits
    for (remade) Seafarer would be the rest of (old) Seafarer bonuses except that free promo on naval units, AND 50% faster production to economic air buildings

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  7. Muninn

Muninn Chieftain

I was having a different issue in my own game, but I suspect the cause is the same thing resulting in this behavior for yours. For me, I noticed that the bonus was working correctly when going into classical era techs, but I was confused when medieval techs didn't have any sort of cost adjustment in 4th century BC.

The cause is due to some python code in Assets/Python/CvEventManger.py. In the methods "onLoadGame()", "onGameStart()", and "onEndGameTurn()", there's some code

if (gc.getGame().getTurnYear() > -2001 and (CyGame().getAheadOfTimeEra() < 1):
    CyGame().setAheadOfTimeEra(1)
    for iTech in xrange(gc.getNumTechInfos()):
    if TechInfo.getEra() == 1:
    TechInfo.setAheadOfTime(50)​
    elif [... code continues for techs from other eras]​
    elif (gc.getGame().getGameTurnYear() > -1201) and (CyGame().getAheadOfTimeEra() < 2):
    [code continues for other eras]​

As far as I can tell, instances of "CyGame()" in this block of conditionals should instead be "gc.getGame()".

8. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Introduced a more gradual 50% decrement a couple (?) updates ago. I don't think I'll go more granular than this, but 50% seems to ensure less jumpy transition.

Addressed in the separate thread you created in the subforum.

I don't think there is a fixed yes/no answer to your question. Generally, the crashes start happening when (note it's not a direct casual relationship, but rather an indicator) a certain save game size is reached. The bigger the map and the more civs there are, the faster it will happen - and for smaller maps / less civs the game ends before this happens. In modern times, when any PC can run Civ 4 comfortably, it is more or less independent of the hardware specs (though from what I've seen reported, different OS can make an impact), as this is simply an inability of Civ 4 engine to deal with lots of RAM that needs to be allocated. Europe map is definitely smaller than huge world, so I'd say there should be hope of that. Sorry, but that's as definite an answer as I'm able to give.

The short answer is, it doesn't. It just becomes a part of the city square - if you look at the city square building, it always has a monument of sorts in the centre. Think of it instead as "Monument" -> "Monument with a City Square around it" upgrade.

Not that I know of; would have done it that way if I could.

Hm. That might actually be true; I'll see what can be done.

Again not that I know of.

I think you're misrepresenting here; 1 swordsman has 65 base cost, while 1 cataphract has 90 base cost, and a skirmisher 50 - so yeah, 2 skirmishers or a cataphract are probably both better options, but they are appropriately more expensive. And TBH neither would be a better option when attacking a city for instance. An axeman is slightly better than a swordsman in this situation (6.25 vs 6 if the defender is not a melee unit), but a swordsman has an edge over an axeman here in defending against a potential counter-attack and in providing more aid (and benefitting more from promotions as they are percentage-based, so more base strength=more increase). In general, the heavy infantry line, of which swordsmen are the first, is intended to form the core of an offensive army or support a defensive force as a second line of defense (more aid due to more strength, less specialized defender than spearmen/archers). The bonus vs melee is not really there as an intended specialization - its intended specialization is "a high strength infantry unit".

I've tried upping the "No war probability" in cases where it says so from 100 to 120, which will probably handle some edge cases. But generally speaking, war declaration AI is quite obscure and the pedia displays stuff that is true to the best of my knowledge of how it's supposed to work.

Tried some more stringent checks for such cases in the latest update.

I don't know why you feel that's the case. It wouldn't have worked at all and there'd be no maluses if it were so.

9. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

Totestra lets you set the RNG seed. Theoretically, if you use the same known seed, it should generate the same map (mainly for debugging purposes though I've never tried it). Also, (unless I'm confusing scripts), there should be an out of the way tile somewhere near one of the poles which has a label containing the map's RNG seed (again for debugging purposes).

One other "known" issue with Totestra. Per the script's original thread, Totestra maps need to be generated using the Play Now! button and not the Custom Game button. Your mileage may vary, but it appears that the script author never (publically) "fixed" this, and I wouldn't expect Walter to do so either. That said, sometimes through brute force and repetition I can get a custom game map to generate successfully (a failed/"error" mapgen is all grassland with no hills or water). It seems more likely to work with Number of Continents set to Few (whenever I try Some it fails).

Note that if you use Play Now! then Revolutions and Barbarian Civs will default to Off. An alternative is to go into Worldbuilder (I zoom in all the way to minimize spoilers) and manually set the game options you want.

10. Walter Hawkwood

You're talking about regular Totestra, not the RI Totestra I adapted for the mod? It consistently generates custom games for me. I remember how regular Totestra would only work with Play Now (and even then not always), but I feel like I've fixed it. Are you saying you're getting the same issues with RI Totestra?

11. zoob

zoob Chieftain

I really enjoyed my last games with various leaders on world map large.

Here's some feedback to help improve RI:

* Elephant Taming should have Horseback Riding as prerequisite -> right now it has Animal Husbandary. ET as an early classic tech everyone will have AH until that point, so current prerequisite is unneccesary. Having HR on the other hand might delay having strong war elephants early on a bit

* Experimental: Trade on river to Sailing, Trade on Coast to Shipbuilding -> I think it is a good idea to delay early on automated resource access and city connected trade a bit. This values hand-made roads more although workers might be busy doing other things.

* Statue of Zeus without Pagan Temple -> right now, I see SoZ as rather bad early on wonder because of the prerequisite. At this point of game you have 3 cities at most, so you gain only 2 additional buildings max. I think about making the wonder ~20% more expansive and remove the building prerequisite

12. 46852

46852 Warlord

Ahead of time seems to work better now, at least with preliminary tests, thanks Walter! :)

One thing I've noticed in my games that the "exploration of new world" period on random maps is somewhat short, or even non-existent. Would it make sense to move map trading to be activated as late as Navigation in renaissance? This was a quick easy fix at least for me, and it created an exciting period of exploring the new continents and it's nations with explorers, missionaries and spies after finding them with ocean-faring ships.

13. WaywardRogue77

WaywardRogue77 Chieftain

ah ok ty so much for the reply. I’ve had so much fun with this mod!

I do have one question. How much would it take to say, remove all civs and land except for Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa? (Basically no America’s, nor anything south of Asia/Middle east, even leaving North Africa would be ok).
    I plan to just edit the huge world map in worldbuilder and save it, then use that as my custom scenario. I wasn’t sure though if doing so (covering everything in ocean or mountains and deleting all units etc in the areas I don’t want) would break the code behind the mod scenario in some way or not? It doesn’t seem to, at least not on load and after playing through a few turns.

Basically trying to have a scenario that is somewhere in between the Europe scenario and the huge earth map one.

BTW, playing the latest SVN mod, I LOVE the confederacy civic! Awesome stuff

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  14. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

Totestra always seems a bit moody. I'm still getting error maps when I start a custom game. Play Now seems to work more reliably. Since I dropped down to Few Continents from Some both seem more likely to work. If I had a guess, your version is more "stable" than vanilla Totestra, but since failed maps take a very long time (I think the script is "giving up" if it takes too long/too many iterations to complete) to generate, my sample size is fairly small.

15. Zap0

Zap0 Chieftain

For some reason all my melee units as Themistocles (Protective/Seafarer) of the Greeks start with the cover promotion. SVN 5303. Could there be anything that causes this? Cause I don't know what would cause this.

16. Snowygerry

Snowygerry Prince

There is a random event that does that - "Tower Shields" iirc.

Zap0 likes this.
  17. Walter Hawkwood

All actually rather reasonable suggestions, to which I'll give my consideration. Elephant taming, given its specific applicability and limited numbers of elephants one can field, was specifically made "beelineable". The prerequisites are this was specifically so that one can start researching it very early on.

Again a very reasonable suggestion - as well as something that puts map exchange spam further away, so I'm all in favour.

You can try doing it yourself in Worldbuilder then save as a map.

BTW, did an experiment yesterday, left a Europe scenario game autorunning and didn't see a single crash up to the modern era when Egypt won cultural victory, and for 50 turns beyond it.

If you run into those again, I'd love to see the logs. While I agree that (with all due respect to the author who AFAIK is a veteran programmer) the insides of Totestra are an unfathomable mess in places, I thought I got it to at least run successfully all the time. Will do some more experiments of my own too.

As Snowygerry pointed above, it's likely you got an event and didn't notice - as simply starting as Themistocles doesn't replicate that.

18. WaywardRogue77

WaywardRogue77 Chieftain

Nice! That’s awesome to hear. I’ll do it
    Also, I played through to almost the Industrial era on the Europe scenario, and on Legendary speed at that. Only had one crash near the end. (I basically lost at that point so didn’t go any further). So definitely doable. ty for your time!

19. Zap0

Zap0 Chieftain

Come to think of it, I do remember that event firing and thinking "oh, I don't have any melee units deployed right now, what a waste!" I didn't realize it would apply for all subsequently built units too!

Something else I've been meaning to mention is that I like the new tech voiceovers, they have a decent audio quality - that didn't always used to be the case in the past (the last set sounded fine too, however). What prompted the change?

20. czechball

czechball Chieftain

How do you add new civs into this mod?