Realism Invictus

One thing that helped when that happened for me was to reduce the graphics to low. On high graphics, I could barely end my turn without a CtD, but after turning the graphics down, it happened maybe once or twice for the remaining ~10 hours of the game. Did you give that a try?
I don't really remember if I did, I think so and it didn't change much. Also it just feels wrong to me to set the graphics settings to "low" on a 17 year old game, just out of principle :nope:;)

Also, since we're kind of a small, informal group on this thread, I would be willing to play multiplayer with others ITT if there is any mutual interest. Not sure exactly when that would be possible, but since human interaction makes for much more interesting diplomacy, that would be plenty of fun, I think.
Excuse my ignorance but I tried looking up the meaning of ITT, I found the acronym used in several Civ forums but never explained. I'm assuming it means some form of "real-time" multiplayer instead of PBEM?

ITT = "in this thread"
Well that was a much simpler explanation than expected :lol: But I'm correct in assuming you mean some form of simultaneous online play vs PBEM, right? Because I agree that actually chatting while gaming makes for much more fun diplomacy.

One thing I have noticed while playing, not just this recent version, is the feeling that early recon units rule the battlefield in their time. I'm talking especially about the skirmisher, which you will get fairly early on, and keep on using for quite a while. Whenever I'm attacked during that era, the only real quick and cost efficent defense is a skirmisher spam. Even for offensive actions, so removing any active stacks the AI might have roaming around that could threaten your city attack stack, it's often the number one choice.

One of the reason for that, in my opinion, is that, unless I'm overlooking something here, there is not a single unit that acts as a defense against recon straight out of the bat. Every other unit category has its organic counter - spearman vs charge mounted; heavy infantry vs shock; archers vs range mounted etc. There is nothing like that for recon troops, so without a specialized promotion there is no direct counter to it. The only unit of that era that gets any bonuses vs recon units are the composite archers, but they only get a bonus when attacking recon units. The chances of that actually happening are quite slim though for various reasons (them being usually used as city defenders, having only 1 movement vs the skirmishers 2, etc).

Combining this with their cheap cost, no need for any special resources, and their organic bonuses (+50% attack vs. melee, various terrain bonuses) they seem a bit overpowered for me and sadly almost make some other units obsolete:
  • Charge mounted units to quickly attack and do collateral damage on that nasty stack coming to threaten your lands? One spearman in there and maybe they are even moving through hills/forest - forget about it. It'll likely get killed before it even got a chance to do any damage whatsoever. Coupled with the fact that the usefulness of their ability to flank siege units is greatly reduced due to how siege units work in RI combat: In vanilla CIV4 a weakened catapult would be less effective in attacking your stack of city defenders. In RI however siege units are tagged along for their ability to bring down city walls and for their siege combat aid bonuses. Therefore it doesn't really matter if they are at full health or not. And I don't think I have ever seen a siege unit be outright killed through flanking damage.
  • Range mounted instead? Replace spearman with archer or skirmisher, especially on defensive terrain, and basically everything just mentioned also applies here.
  • Heavy/shock infantry? Quite expensive, slow, and mainly used to defend/attack cities. Will also have a hard time attacking stacks on defensive terrain.
The cheap and lowly skirmisher however will do great attacking against pretty much everyone, especially on favorable terrain, which is pretty much everywhere in this era because forests/jungle are still abundant. And even if you lose a couple they are much faster to reproduce than other units.
Charge/range mounted still have their uses as rebellion crushers, but not so much in actual combat I feel.

In my games I would bet that during this era skirmishers account for 80%+ of all enemy units killed outside of city combat. I'm not really sure if that is really a realistic representation of combat/wars during this time in history, and since this is the Realism Invictus mod after all... ;) When I think of skirmishers I am thinking of light troops harrassing the enemy formations so the heavy infantry/mounted troops have a better chance of defeating an already weakened/disorganized enemy. However I am not thinking about them charging into battle headfirst and straight up dealing the killing blows themselves.

So translated into RI mechanics I think I would suggest a nerf to their strengths, maybe reduce their base strength to 3, drop the 50% bonus against melee units and maybe even their terrain bonuses that they come with. Instead let them give combat aid in the form of extra first strikes and better performance on "their" terrain (forests/jungle/hills).

What do you guys think? Thanks for listening to my TED talk :p

Last edited:
Just to get a few comparisons.
On which maps and with how many players and at what speed do you play? I have always played bts (or base) on a large map with about 11 players. I wanted to avoid huge empires and prefer to manage 5-7 cities. (without new conquests)
But with RI it seems to be too crowded for me.

Fascinating. Maybe that has to do with the habitability afforded by the Sea of Okhotsk? In the Arctic Circle, I doubt (though am completely guessing) that the local fishing is not good enough to sustain any kind of large population when reliable infrastructure out of the region is so weak due to ice and snow, but Kamchatka has an enormous coastline around a massive sea which isn't (by another guess) perennially frozen.
In reality, just Narvik is a non-freezing port - because the Gulf Stream flows past it. In the North Pacific Ocean, an analog of the Gulf Stream washes Alaska - that's why it's warm and cozy there... That is, I wanted to say, white silence :D.

Conversely, the cold Kuril Current flows along the Pacific coast of Russia. Therefore, with a similar average winter temperature, it is colder in Petropavlovsk and the surrounding area.

As a result, the Sea of Okhotsk is almost completely covered with ice even now, the same applies to the north of the Bering Sea. A strip of ice appears along the Kamchatka coast in winter - Petropavlovsk is a freezing port.

But yes, even with this, the catch off Kamchatka is huge - just need icebreakers :). However, the city did not grow so big because it served seiners a little. In Soviet times, Petropavlovsk, firstly, had a powerful fish processing industry. Secondly, the shipyard was actively working, repairing and building fishing vessels, up to the largest.
In addition, there is a port serving the northern sea route and a military base. As a result , the population of the city was almost 270 thousand people.

Since then, fish processing has been moved to suburban villages, and until recently the shipyard was engaged only in repairs. The number of troops and fleet in Kamchatka has also decreased.

However, in the post-Soviet period, the number of people employed in the service sector has sharply increased. In general, the current population is quite stable.

In general, the trick is that where Europeans (in a broad sense) will build a point of minimum service for fishermen, in Russia they will build a full-fledged city with industry, offices and related infrastructure. Simply because the population does not have to be driven to the temperate north with sticks or gigantic payments. For a rather banal reason. Between the Baltic and the Sea of Azov, Russia's western border is neatly drawn along the January isotherm minus 8. It's not that the Soviet government looked at the climate map when drawing the borders of the republics – it's just that ethnic Russians totally dominated not only in cities, but also in rural areas beyond this border. The nuance is that the same isotherm separates the southern, relatively densely populated areas of Sweden and Finland from frankly empty territories. At the same time, winter in the style of Swedish Norland in Russia is a very warm option. A fairly dense population with millions of cities, etc. is maintained up to the minus 20 isotherm.

What do you guys think?
The guys think that in fact the pre-industrial war was very different from what mass culture demonstrates. Now there will be quite a lot of boring theory.
So, unlike games, there were almost no characters armed only with "short" one–handed weapons, i.e. classic swords, axes, maces, etc. - outside of a very specific niche. For example, a medieval guy flashing in mods without armor, in an iron hat (chapelle) and with a short sword is a surprisingly accurate image ... of a squire. And not in the sense of the title, but in the sense of the canonical function of "give-bring-go to the rear". Such a "support unit" is described, for example, by documents of the Teutonic Order of the mid-13th century.
And only in the Renaissance, classical "swordsmen" - rondachiers more or less massively appear. In general, this is an application for pikemen
Spoiler :

(in China, with its love of long shaft weapons, the history of the "rondashiers" is more intricate and longer, but the peak is also in the Renaissance).

At the same time, our squire runs with a sword because he gave the spear to the master. In other words, the classic pre–industrial melee is either spearmen or figures with two-handed weapons. Moreover, the spear is also the default weapon for soldiers with compact bows.
It was a long introduction, now to the point.
At the same time, spearmen in reality are very diverse and, most importantly, are divided into two large classes. A spearman familiar to popular culture is a conditional hoplite of the the time of Pericles - a guy with a large shield and a long "shock" spear. However, the elementary form of a hand–to-hand fighter common from pole to pole is a guy with a "universal" spear. Which you can, but not necessarily throw.
Spoiler :

It is relatively short – as tall as a fighter or a little taller, thin (a shaft with a diameter of about 2.5-3.5 cm). At the same time, the tip is sufficiently suitable in size and shape so that it can not only be stabbed, but also secant blows. The reference Western examples are the Germanic framea and its derivatives.
At the same time, it is hardly worth clarifying that
1. Such weapons are much more suitable for actions in small detachments, from ambushes, in thickets, etc. That is, exactly what they mainly do in sparsely populated areas like Tacitus' Germania, etc.
2. It is better adapted to the psychology of a typical militia member, who generally does not like hand-to-hand combat and prefers throwing.
This is compounded by the fact that the protection of a typical ("elementary") user of this thing is limited ... yes, a small shield without any frills in the spirit of three layers, etc. For poverty + the need for mobility and work in small groups. At the same time, such shields are well penetrated by the same spear with a successful hit. They "fence" with similar shields, trying not to expose them to a direct blow in hand-to-hand combat.
Tactics – in the style of Greece of the heroic era or the opponents of the Zulus. That is, the main type of battle is a shootout with spears in a sparse formation. From time to time, the heroes run out closer to the enemy to throw a spear more accurately – and immediately run back. Therefore, the real, top–of-the-line hero is fleet-footed. Classical hand–to-hand combat as the norm of life is for ultimate, divine heroes.
Everything in general is suitable for a poor, undiscilinated, but not completely unprepared individually fighter. As a result, this is the main barbaric unit. In civilized regions, "settings are reset" to it as a result of any troubles like the Bronze Age catastrophe or the collapse of the Roman Empire.
In the application to the current reality. It is quite easy to notice that the bulk of the early spearmen (and to be honest, hand–to-hand units in general) actually depict generalists. However, they are positioned as shock spearmen – and their functions are practically reproduced by throwers.
And yes, considering how far and how long the mass stamps have gone from reality, this is probably the most adequate option. Since schoolchildren stopped being tormented by the whole Iliad and Virgil, a nightmare has already come :crazyeye:. Then the game designers came – and hell followed them. In general, it is possible to make a realistic mod and it will even be in demand by five or six people. But the rest will demand conditional "swordsmen".

Last edited:
Do you mean the transportation range limit for resources - at least "automatic"? Yes, a topic for a fair amount of thoughtfulness - considering that for a very long time they traded mainly luxury goods over long distances
No, that is not what I'm working at - simply because I do not have the skills to do it......

If any are interested in reading what I'm actually doing - you will find it below:

Spoiler :

What I am doing right now is, that some buildings not only need certain ressources but they also consumes them (kind of upkeep/maintainance costs) - and if the ressource isn't present in the needed quatity, then the buildings, that goes "short" of it do not produce anything.

You already know from the original version, that Steelworks consumes iron and coal and produce steel. In my "extended" verson, the carpenter consumes timber (primetimber) and produces naval. Naval you might ask??? Why that??

Well, as I have written many times, I'm not skilled enough to add new ressources (bonus-types) or buildings. I had to find a way to reuse what's already in the game.

So let's "follow" how the ressource PrimeTimber end up as Naval (Supplies) in my game:
You have the ressurce PrimeTimber somewhere on the map. You build the improvement LoggingCamp upon the ressource. Here I take it, that this is the place, where the "crude" lumber is "processed" to Timber (as this is the word, that is used in the CIV4BuildingInfos.xml file). The Carpenter then consumes 1 Timber and produces 2 naval. When a Sawmill is available, 1 Timber produces 4 naval. Partly because it's needed in the cities for many buildings, partly because I presume the "waste" is lower.
Naval is my game is timber processed and "consumed" by a carpenter/sawmill and turned into boards or planks. But Naval is also Hemp (Cannabis) processed to ropes (for ship rigging), whereas Cotton has been "moved" in that sense, that it isn't used for naval equipment anymore but only in the TextileMill for fabric.

Some (here we goes again..... "Some") might say: This is a Civilizationgame - a stategy- and wargame. Not a SimCity game. Well I can tell you, this certainly makes some aspects of this game much more interesting. Fx I just got one of my carpenters destoyed by an enemy spy. And due to that, several other buildings stopped producing anything as they needed (consumed) this "naval" ressource

Civ4ScreenShot0076.JPG

Now the spies are able to make your "living" really troublesome. This is somewhat different from being annoyed, because a "stupid" AI continues to steal your gold or destroy same kind of building again and again. Think if this was in modern time and you suddenly lost access to Steel - in the middle of a hot war?????? But actually you can loose anything: Happiness, production, gold.... what-ever.... for a shorter or longer time. This can be serious(!) matter......

I say: I do like this "change" and I'm sure it's worth spending quite some more time of mine to make it better.

Last edited:
Is anyone else still having issues with the same event recurring every few turns? Normally it's the crashed airplane, but in this game, I get a volcanic eruption in my capital's BFC literally every 10 turns or so, which destroys about 3-5 improvements each time. That is a serious drawback, having to spend half the game with that land unimproved. Even though I think that's a sensible event every few centuries or so, for it to happen that frequently is implausible and also pretty debilitating in the game. I might play with events off next time, but am asking since someone had mentioned this problem not too long ago.

Are you playing the Totestra map by any chance ? I cannot remember this happening on basic fractal maps ?

I wonder why MG units receive no defense bonuses from forts... An oversight, perhaps?

I can't figure out why they don't get the promo in technical terms. They're certainly UNITCOMBAT_GUN. They should receive it. They don't even have the "doesn't receive def bonuses".
Any help?

Edit: Hmmmmmmmmmm! The only culprit I can see is "can only defend" modifier. Because even siege units should receive the fort bonus, but they don't - with the exception of Helepolis, which can attack. Same applies to Helicopters - the ones that can attack get the bonus, but the ones that can't - do not. Mighty interesting, that is.

Edit2: Well, I'm afraid there isn't much in the XMLs. Essentially Fort Aid isn't avaliable to defensive units - which is quite funny, imo. All "can only defend" units still get all other promotions - Recon Aid, for example.
I'm afraid the rest is in the core .dll, which I'm not competent enough to go mess with. But I would like to formally request a remake of this system. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3478.png
    3478.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Small graphic bug report: the 'floating' olive juice of olive grove.
无标题.png

Sounds a bit weird, but for me it seems like RI is easier than BtS. In my actual game on King i am 600BC and I am the 1. nearly tech leader and the 2. is 200 points behind me.
It feels like the game is done, am I right?

Perhaps im that powerful because I took all the cities of the aztecs in the early game.
That was easier than in bts too.

Just to get a few comparisons.
On which maps and with how many players and at what speed do you play? I have always played bts (or base) on a large map with about 11 players. I wanted to avoid huge empires and prefer to manage 5-7 cities. (without new conquests)
But with RI it seems to be too crowded for me.
I'm open to any suggestions, but yeah I think your idea (large map, ~11 players) sound reasonable.

The guys think that in fact the pre-industrial war was very different from what mass culture demonstrates. Now there will be quite a lot of boring theory.
So, unlike games, there were almost no characters armed only with "short" one–handed weapons, i.e. classic swords, axes, maces, etc. - outside of a very specific niche. For example, a medieval guy flashing in mods without armor, in an iron hat (chapelle) and with a short sword is a surprisingly accurate image ... of a squire. And not in the sense of the title, but in the sense of the canonical function of "give-bring-go to the rear". Such a "support unit" is described, for example, by documents of the Teutonic Order of the mid-13th century.
And only in the Renaissance, classical "swordsmen" - rondachiers more or less massively appear. In general, this is an application for pikemen
Spoiler :

(in China, with its love of long shaft weapons, the history of the "rondashiers" is more intricate and longer, but the peak is also in the Renaissance).

At the same time, our squire runs with a sword because he gave the spear to the master. In other words, the classic pre–industrial melee is either spearmen or figures with two-handed weapons. Moreover, the spear is also the default weapon for soldiers with compact bows.
It was a long introduction, now to the point.
At the same time, spearmen in reality are very diverse and, most importantly, are divided into two large classes. A spearman familiar to popular culture is a conditional hoplite of the the time of Pericles - a guy with a large shield and a long "shock" spear. However, the elementary form of a hand–to-hand fighter common from pole to pole is a guy with a "universal" spear. Which you can, but not necessarily throw.
Spoiler :

It is relatively short – as tall as a fighter or a little taller, thin (a shaft with a diameter of about 2.5-3.5 cm). At the same time, the tip is sufficiently suitable in size and shape so that it can not only be stabbed, but also secant blows. The reference Western examples are the Germanic framea and its derivatives.
At the same time, it is hardly worth clarifying that
1. Such weapons are much more suitable for actions in small detachments, from ambushes, in thickets, etc. That is, exactly what they mainly do in sparsely populated areas like Tacitus' Germania, etc.
2. It is better adapted to the psychology of a typical militia member, who generally does not like hand-to-hand combat and prefers throwing.
This is compounded by the fact that the protection of a typical ("elementary") user of this thing is limited ... yes, a small shield without any frills in the spirit of three layers, etc. For poverty + the need for mobility and work in small groups. At the same time, such shields are well penetrated by the same spear with a successful hit. They "fence" with similar shields, trying not to expose them to a direct blow in hand-to-hand combat.
Tactics – in the style of Greece of the heroic era or the opponents of the Zulus. That is, the main type of battle is a shootout with spears in a sparse formation. From time to time, the heroes run out closer to the enemy to throw a spear more accurately – and immediately run back. Therefore, the real, top–of-the-line hero is fleet-footed. Classical hand–to-hand combat as the norm of life is for ultimate, divine heroes.
Everything in general is suitable for a poor, undiscilinated, but not completely unprepared individually fighter. As a result, this is the main barbaric unit. In civilized regions, "settings are reset" to it as a result of any troubles like the Bronze Age catastrophe or the collapse of the Roman Empire.
In the application to the current reality. It is quite easy to notice that the bulk of the early spearmen (and to be honest, hand–to-hand units in general) actually depict generalists. However, they are positioned as shock spearmen – and their functions are practically reproduced by throwers.
And yes, considering how far and how long the mass stamps have gone from reality, this is probably the most adequate option. Since schoolchildren stopped being tormented by the whole Iliad and Virgil, a nightmare has already come :crazyeye:. Then the game designers came – and hell followed them. In general, it is possible to make a realistic mod and it will even be in demand by five or six people. But the rest will demand conditional "swordsmen".
Uhm, thanks for the input I guess 😁
My goal wasn't really to start a discussion about historical army equipment and fighting style, and more about whether other people also think that the skirmisher unit is a bit overpowered within the game mechanics, especially early on when it first appears. If that's my exclusive opinion then that's fine with me too, it won't ruin this great mod for me :)

Started the industrial age 200 years before it originally started in our world. (Prince Difficulty)
It would be interesting to see how global warming changes the world when humans have 200 more years to poison the planet
Screenshot_4.jpg

Sounds a bit weird, but for me it seems like RI is easier than BtS. In my actual game on King i am 600BC and I am the 1. nearly tech leader and the 2. is 200 points behind me.
It feels like the game is done, am I right?

Perhaps im that powerful because I took all the cities of the aztecs in the early game.
That was easier than in bts too.
Start new game with rebelions and separatism option on if you feel that you can easy handle Monarch

this could be nice additional option: effectiveness of raw materials depends on population

Resources
A single resource can only support a finite population. If your population grows too large and a single resource can't satisfy the demand all health, happiness and production benefits are reduced accordingly. Additional resources of the same kind are then required to mitigate the resource shortage: If one pig would grant you only +0.7 :health: because of high population, two pigs will give you the full +1.0 :health: bonus. Production speed for units and buildings that rely on a resource is reduced in the same manner. Movement speed using railroads is reduced with a low coal and oil ratio. Researching technologies improves your resource ratio, reflecting your increased ability to foster and distribute resources. This change is a boon for small realms who can keep up their 1.0 ratios easily. However playing a large realm is more fun than ever as your constant struggle to connect new and old resources keeps you on the lookout for good settling positions and trade deals.

finally, building a city to stock a fourteenth source of fish would make sense
also these all "recycle centers" , gas and nuclear plants would apply (I feel that the level of health in the modern era is overstated, in modern era i never have problem with unhealthy, i even dont need build these modern plants to reduce :yuck:)

Start new game with rebelions and separatism option on if you feel that you can easy handle Monarch

Separatism can be countered by 1-2 mil units if you tick the "avoid unhappiness/unhealthiness"
It's mostly a problem for the AI who likes conquering stuff it doesn't need

My goal wasn't really to start a discussion about historical army equipment and fighting style, and more about whether other people also think that the skirmisher unit is a bit overpowered within the game mechanics, especially early on when it first appears. If that's my exclusive opinion then that's fine with me too, it won't ruin this great mod for me :)

For whatever my input is worth, I kind of agree with you for the most part and think that a nerf wouldn't be a bad idea, but they're still not exactly a trump card: their vulnerability to archers is significant and since their terrain-contingent bonuses are exclusively offensive and since their effectiveness in attacking cities is generally underwhelming or not worth the risk if the unit in question is sufficiently promoted, having just one archer in a stack (or in a city, which you would likely be using as a garrison anyway) is a pretty solid safeguard IMO.

To Pecheneg's point, though, maybe it is more or less deliberate that the skirmisher is a desirable, high-utility unit? If the elite cavalry and heavy infantry are supposed to constitute the specialized core of a preindustrial army, then it makes historical sense to me that irregulars and "skirmishers" (adept hunters and the like albeit armed with simpler missile weapons) would form the bulk of most of its headcount, besides. In pure gameplay terms though, since their only definite counter already has a dominant niche as a city defender, it means that they become rather expensive to build for armies in the field. That makes for some interesting choices, because then you have to choose which cities to properly defend and which to leave more or less vulnerable (especially under the Slavery and Serfdom, one of which you are likely to be running for most of the midgame).

I think your ideas are good though: a nerf to 3:strength: would put them more or less on par toe-to-toe on flat terrain with contemporary classical heavy infantry, like the swordsman. Their movement and terrain bonuses would still leave them with hefty advantages of mobility and a mitigated defensive bonus for units hiding in the woods or in hills. Personally, I think their stack aid contribution is the best thing about them, and I rarely attack with them directly for that reason. With the full Recon Aid III bonus, even dirt-cheap irregulars walk out of the gate with 2-3 first strikes (in addition to probably a promotion or two from barracks/aggressive leader, etc.). Making that even more pronounced seems too unbalanced with respect to what the unit is modeling in real terms, and would eliminate something that makes pretty good sense in that regard, like their bonus against melee.

As it is though, they kind of have an awkward utility arc: they arrive as early as the ancient era in the third tier of techs and are uber-powerful when they appear; then they slowly depreciate gently, remaining good throughout the classical era and even decent a good ways into the medieval era just in terms of raw strength against melee, notwithstanding terrain bonuses or mobility. Then, in the late medieval, they become weak against pretty much everything in direct combat while still remaining highly useful as stack auxiliaries because of their Recon Aid. That leaves a pretty big gap in time between when they become virtually obsolete as direct attackers and their category replacement of Explorers appear; so, while their actual battlefield usefulness seems properly modeled by their eventual worthlessness in direct combat, that is not at all reflected in their ability to provide magic first strikes to every other unit indefinitely.

The only other unit in the game that has a similarly long shelf-life that I can think of is the Horse Archer, but unlike the Skirmisher, it doesn't follow an inverted S-Curve of usefulness where its usability in battle eventually expires completely, because it upgrades linearly at each point that it would otherwise become obsolete. Longbows would annihilate the regular Horse Archer but its upgrade appears at the same time as Longbows, for instance. Then you get Pistoleers earlier than Line Infantry, keeping the cavalry competitive against other unit categories. So, the Skirmisher does seem a bit overpowered to me, but it's still got a couple of definite weaknesses, including the death of ability to conquer cities at a phase in the game when warfare generally favors the offensive otherwise.

Also, I don't agree with you about Spearmen being a particularly decisive counter to charge mounted. I would more put it in terms of they can usually hold their own against heavy cavalry, which is otherwise completely dominant against foot units in the open field. If you pair the Cataphract and Spearmen (peers of the same era) for instance, the former still has a mild advantage on flat ground (10.5:strength: vs. 8:strength:), notwithstanding flank attacks and collateral damage. It makes sense to me that spearmen are supposed to be good, solid all-purpose infantry in RI since they're only slightly weak against their categorical counter and slightly buffed against the most likely city defenders, not specialized cavalry-killers. When you consider that other infantry is particularly vulnerable to heavy cavalry (especially Axemen against Chariots), that jack-of-all-trades nature seems to show up more apparently, to my mind at least.

Regarding the multiplayer, I am actually not a fan of Discord specifically and other "hub" platforms seem somewhat unnecessary and likely to be problematic if we have a lot of people playing simultaneously. Some kind of real-time chat seems good enough for me, especially since the game is turn-based.

this could be nice additional option: effectiveness of raw materials depends on population

finally, building a city to stock a fourteenth source of fish would make sense
also these all "recycle centers" , gas and nuclear plants would apply (I feel that the level of health in the modern era is overstated, in modern era i never have problem with unhealthy, i even dont need build these modern plants to reduce :yuck:)

That would be great if that could be implemented in RI! One of the only disappointments I have about the direction the mod took the vanilla game (and that's one relatively small thing against many enormous improvements IMO) was the removal of corporations, which did incentivize the acquisition of several resources and made multiple instances of the same thing important, without reworking it into something else or replacing it with something that also did this. I know that's kind of a stab at the multi-tier industrial buildings which the mod did add, but since one instance of a resource has infinite domestic utility, and you're either not going to want to or be able to trade numerous other resources to the AI, there's basically no point in trying to get more than one or two of each resource, while the corporations mechanic in the vanilla game did approximately model the greedy drive to get more and more of the same raw materials as witnessed with real world industrial nations.

I see that the vanilla corporations were kind of gimmicky (although I thought they were fun and not immersion-breaking), but scrapping the whole thing without replacing it with some other "more resources = more benefit" corollary mechanic sacrificed a bit of the late-game fun IMO. Too bad it likely won't ever be worked in, but something like that seems like it would perfectly fill the gap.

due bug i need to remove two austrian cities because game freeze to death and dont react on anything. (ethernal "waiting for other civs")
anyone can check why AI just stop after one turn?

edit: city of vienna make whole game freeze. but why?

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Does anyone know how to modify the required number of buildings in the Quest of Event, like the number of stables in 'Horse Whispering' quest? I have checked CIV4EventTriggerInfos.XML and CIV4EventInfos.XML but can't find the code. TBH, it's really hard to satisfy these quests in World Map with so many civs and cities.:think:

Top Bottom