Realistic Culture Spread Bug

MrCynical

Deity
There appears to be a bug with the way the "Realistic Culture Spread" option works. It breaks if a city is captured. An example:

Realistic Culture Bug.png

Aterpuerca is the original capital I founded, and shows the typical irregular RCS spread, reaching out to the tiles with resources. Istanbul is a captured city, and instead displays the stock Civ 4 culture spread pattern - equal in all directions, ignoring resources. This also results in far more tiles included (Istanbul is only on about 1500 culture, but already controls about as many tiles as Aterpuerca does with over 15,000 and an extra expansion.

Looking over other games, this seems consistent. RCS is never applied to captured cities. Here's another case:
RCS Bug2.png

It's slightly less obvious due to overlap here, but again. Lautoka is founded, and shows RCS. Naulette is captured from barbarians, and expands evenly in all directions. Naulette also now includes sea and even ocean tiles in its cultural borders. With RCS on, culture of player founded cities is incredibly reluctant to include a sea or ocean tile unless it contains a resource, regardless of how much culture the city has. To an extent which I'm not convinced is working as intended either. For example:

RCS Bug 3.png

This city has over 40,000 culture, and has now had something like three culture expansions that did not actually gain any tiles. This behavior is continuing even after I've researched Seafaring tech, which logically should make sea tiles "usable", so I think there may be a second issue with RCS here as well.

I'm currently on SVN 11464, but looking back over old saves this issue has been around for some considerable time.

Top Bottom