1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic Research - Extreme V. 2.01

Eurekas and Inspirations are now vital to research.

1. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

UncivilizedGuy submitted a new resource:

Realistic Research - Eurekas and Inspirations are now vital to research.

Read more about this resource...

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Uhm, so if you boost 98% or 99%, does that not mean that China's boosts are twice as much? Sounds like quite a big powerup to me.

Edit: Thinking about this, if you'd want to keep the power level the same, would it not be better to increase the costs 10-fold and then give 95% normally and 96% to China? That would mean exactly the same costs if you have the boost, but 10 times more expensive without.

3. UncivilizedGuy

You are actually right. The second column of techs is only 40x more expensive. So when I tested the sailing boost the difference was smaller. The second column of techs is cheaper because I experience a bug when the cost is above 2000. Oddly it only occurs with that one column. I'm going to take a close look at this tomorrow. I need to make some changes to some Eurekas and Inspirations anyway.

4. ctudor

ctudor Chieftain

this might be interesting. atm i am using civics and technologies x10 mode on quick gameplay, but this might be a better replacement....

5. UncivilizedGuy

6. UncivilizedGuy

After some experimenting I followed your advice. 10x is still a ridiculously high number. The boosts are still absolutely necessary. Thanks for the math.

7. UncivilizedGuy

8. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Now Norway becomes the worst Civ, since it has Longships so cannot finish the boost requirement for Shipbuilding. (Which requires 2 galleys)

Interesting.

Also, on Continental map, you can never expand your civic tree before your find the other continent, interesting.

9. UncivilizedGuy

Yeah this mod isn't ideal for the AI. It was an experiment that I was curious to see how it would play out. Sometimes I get these crazy ideas and then when I implement they don't turn out as I had hoped. Most of the time my crazy ideas don't even make it to completion.

10. Seileach

Seileach Chieftain

this mod is just brilliant, boosts should matter more :)

i was wondering, would it be possible for each tech or civic to have three boosts instead of just one, each giving 30%? (i would keep the 10x cost increase, having all three boosts would put you at vanilla unboosted costs, which should be fine to make games a bit longer.) take the example of Sailing, instead of having one coastal give a boost of 90%, we could have the first three coastal cities giving a boost of 30% each, thus making a difference between a civ with lots of coastal cities and a civ with just the one.

first, there's the question if this is possible at all. i really don't know if techs and civics can have more than one boost.

if it is possible, the mechanism could probably be something like one boost for having one coastal city, another for having two coastal cities and another one for having three coastal cities. don't know if this makes sense...

combined with your Immersive Eras mod, one of the boosts for the pivotal techs of each era could be the pivotal civic for the same era and viceversa (if you haven't done this already, i really haven't checked).

i tried doing this myself, but to be honest, modding Civ VI seems to me much more confusing than modding Civ V :D

11. UncivilizedGuy

I have toyed with the idea of interconnecting the civics tree with the tech tree through boosts but in the end I keep going back to realistic boosts. It is not possible to have multiple boosts for a tech unfortunately. I did have that idea and right now there is no way to do that. A workaround for your idea would be to have three techs that total up to the same research cost of one tech. Then you could have three separate boosts.

12. Seileach

Seileach Chieftain

thanks for the quick reply :) i may have a go at your workaround suggestion, maybe with a two split instead of three, if i can find an elegant way to do it

13. Seileach

Seileach Chieftain

tried to have a go at the two-split techs and civics, with no success :( i can't even create a single new civic

i tried this:

Code:
    <GameInfo>

<Types>
            <Row Type="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_II" Kind="KIND_CIVIC"/>
        </Types>

<Civics>
            <Row CivicType="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_II" Name="LOC_CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_NAME" Cost="40" AdvisorType="ADVISOR_GENERIC" EraType="ERA_ANCIENT" UITreeRow="-2"/>
        </Civics>

<CivicPrereqs>
            <Row Civic="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_II" PrereqCivic="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP"/>
        </CivicPrereqs>

<CivicQuotes>
            <Row CivicType="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_II" Quote="LOC_CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_QUOTE_1" QuoteAudio="PLAY_CRAFTSMANSHIP_QUOTE_1"/>
            <Row CivicType="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_II" Quote="LOC_CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_QUOTE_2" QuoteAudio="PLAY_CRAFTSMANSHIP_QUOTE_2"/>
        </CivicQuotes>

<Boosts>
            <Row CivicType="CIVIC_CRAFTSMANSHIP_II" Boost="50" TriggerDescription="LOC_BOOST_TRIGGER_CRAFTSMANSHIP" TriggerLongDescription="LOC_BOOST_TRIGGER_LONGDESC_CRAFTSMANSHIP" BoostClass="BOOST_TRIGGER_NUM_IMPROVED_TILES" NumItems="3" Unit1Type="UNIT_BUILDER"/>
        </Boosts>

</GameInfo>

it doesn't work :( i tried piggybacking my new civic on the existing civic, so i gave it the same text fields (Name, Quote, TriggerDescription, etc), i figured there would be no harm in using those for the original and the duplicate civic. could that be what's causing the mod not to work?

or am i missing something else required to create a new civic, something that is not in Civics.xml?

i'm guessing creating a new civic or a new tech is pretty basic modding, but i can't get it to work and i found no tutorials on adding new civics or techs :( if you could help me that would be really great

cheers!

14. UncivilizedGuy

When you say it's not working, I need to know exactly what you are experiencing. Is the mod not loading? Is it crashing? Is the Civics tree scrambled? Did you create a modinfo file?

The Cost and the UITreeRow will need to be different than the original Craftmanship civic (I'm assuming you used the same parameters) otherwise your new civic will show up underneath the original civic. Those two parameters determine where the civic appears in the tree.

15. Seileach

Seileach Chieftain

the mod doesn't load, i get sent back to the main menu.

however, i didn't know that the cost determined horizontal placing, that's probably it. i suspected it could be that, but it was one of many possible sources for the error, so i thought best to ask first :)

i will try that :) thanks

16. Seileach

Seileach Chieftain

changed the cost from 40 to 50, that should put it in a free space in the next column...

still not working, i don't get sent to the main menu immediately, but i get sent there eventually...

i created the mod with ModBuddy, so i have a functioning modinfo file.

i tried looking at the logs, but it all reads gibberish to me...

i think i will probably give up on modding Civ VI, it's just too convoluted and frustrating, at least compared to modding Civ V