realistic tech system

Vertico

Prince
As it is total Realism mod, I would share my one of the biggest desire of civ: different tech system.
I don't know if it is possible now or if it would be possible in BTS, but anyway, just share this idea.

Why are we able to chose a given technology to research, when it is still unknown to our civ? How the scientist know if they would like to invent The Wheel, when they have no idea of wheels? In history, most of breakthroughs were done accidentally.

I always wanted to have a randomly discovered technologies. You choose the general way of research like: war, astronomy, humanism, religion, etc. and then when have enough bulbs, you got a randomly selected tech - of course with all restrictions of cause and result like it is now

What do you think?

That sounds very good to me, although I can't say that I can imagine how it can be done technically - with all techs having different costs. Now our goal regarding techs is simply (I love how it sounds, as it's extremely hard :)) to rewrite the tech tree to better suit the mod and be more realistic. There'll be at least x2 techs compared to vanilla. Then we can start thinking about how they should be discovered (and spread, by the way).

To counterpoint you, though, I should say that the role of the player in-game is a role of a supernatural entity guiding a civilization. You are immortal, you can directly control all the troops and citizens, you can see the world from space... Why can't you know all that there is to discover and put a general idea in the head of your scientists, really? :D

- Now, guys, I want you to invent the wheel. See this round thing? I'll give you a thousand years to figure out what it does. I'll check back then. :old:

Many inventions of world was made durining inventors sleep and than just details were made when awake. So who controlls your dreams ? If your Japanese, than Ieyasu Tokugawa according to TR World Map ;)

Actually researching in some general area wouldnt be much more realistic either. Its not that they wanted to invent the wheel, but it also didnt happen that they wanted to invent "something" then all of a sudden it became a wheel.
On the other hand researching ancient techs is not realistic itself. There werent many wise old men sitting around all day trying to think up some better way of transportation.

Just use my imagination, not sure if this is possible:

1. Introduce general tech branches which would work like future techs: military, culture, engineering, astronomy, religion, philosophy, physics

2. Standard tech would exist normally but would be hidden from researching

3. Each general tech branch would produce Great People

4. Great People would be used to discover standard techs in given branch, ie: Great General would be able to discover military techs, Great Physician - to discover techs connected to natural science etc.

What if, instead of applying research points to a particular technology, they were applied to a general "research pool". Every turn any research points(beakers) generated are added to this pool.

Each turn run a check, and any technologies that cost less research than you have in the pool have a chance of being researched that turn.
If they get selected as researched, you get the new tech pop-up, and your Research Pool is deducted the current value of the technology.
Each turn only one tech can be chosen as researched. If you have enough in your pool for any tech you have the prerequisites for then you are guaranteed to research one of them (at random) this turn.

The chance that an eligible technology will be researched would have to be fine-tuned in game. Too low of a value and research points would pile up in the Pool and not get used quickly. Too high of a value and research would become too predictable, since only the cheapest technology would be researched.

What if, instead of applying research points to a particular technology, they were applied to a general "research pool". Every turn any research points(beakers) generated are added to this pool.

Each turn run a check, and any technologies that cost less research than you have in the pool have a chance of being researched that turn.
If they get selected as researched, you get the new tech pop-up, and your Research Pool is deducted the current value of the technology.
Each turn only one tech can be chosen as researched. If you have enough in your pool for any tech you have the prerequisites for then you are guaranteed to research one of them (at random) this turn.

The chance that an eligible technology will be researched would have to be fine-tuned in game. Too low of a value and research points would pile up in the Pool and not get used quickly. Too high of a value and research would become too predictable, since only the cheapest technology would be researched.

you mean something like SMAC blind research?
hmm...interesting idea - even if this will not be implemented so soon, at least this idea need to be analyzed...

I think that one of the advantages of being humans is to define a research path that best suites our strategy.

This idea of a "blind research" as you call it, seems ... well, if i say stupid i don't want offend anyone, it's simply my thought.

I have to agree with BLubmuz. Research is part of your strategy, taking it away only limits your options, which is not any good.

Actually if we really want to think further this non-direct control idea, then we could also make your cities building thing randomly, and your units moving as they want only directed by relations and enemy positions. Or we might just as well simulate everything automatically, so you could sit and watch your civilization getting built. ;)

I liked that Blind research thing from old SMAC game, and it could be improved by adding some factors to it. I mean when comes to that "general beaker pool" check, maybe natural resources inside your cultural borders may be one of the factors. Example: You are focusing your research on military, and when it comes to "pool check", you will get Horseback Riding with Horses inside cult. borders, or Bronzeworking with bronze etc. Just an idea

Top Bottom