Really big colony

tomaalimosh

Warlord
I tried the colony feature the other day, and got a little crazy with it. It was a continents map, and all may wars were on the other continent from which I managed to conquer about two thirds. first I got the romans, and after the conquest I made a colony - Arabs.

Hmm, nice... next I killes the babylonians. Independence - again Arabs... I thought it would be a different nation, but no.
Well I managed to keep friendly relations with them, they are my vassals, but they are second to me at score, have bigger land area and population, and they won the UN presidency from me :(. I mean... that's humiliation. Then they start teching better than I was, and they don't want to trade (the techs are red). Good thing I had a cultural victory very close, otherwise they would have had me at space race :)

So... be careful with the colonial system. It can backfire big time.

Or you can move your capital to the new continent and then make your "old land" the colony. Correct me but doesn't this work, haven't tried it myself since i never had more cities on another single continent than on my starting continent.

:)

If I would have done that, the colony would have had all the wonders and culturally rich cities (that eventually won me the game).
But nice idea :)

Yeah, the colony feature needs more work.

Or you can move your capital to the new continent and then make your "old land" the colony. Correct me but doesn't this work, haven't tried it myself since i never had more cities on another single continent than on my starting continent.

It is probably a hell lot of work...Specially to develop the cities again. And in cultural victory it is NOT worthy it...

EDIT: cross post with tomaalimosh.

You liberated those cities back to him did you not?

Instead of actually granting a new independence to a new state/race?

You liberated those cities back to him did you not?

Instead of actually granting a new independence to a new state/race?

No I didn't

I waited until I had about 4-5 cities and then granted independence

And it still went to the same colony...
This may be bugged.

I thought It would create another vassal.
probably if it's the same continent, it makes the same civ...

With me I create new civs each time... it kinda feels like a mass ethnic clensing to me when I do it

were they on the same continent?

or ... relatively close in time (I granted independence to 4 groups of 4-5 cities within... 50 turns, on the same continent... maybe that's what caused it... )

I know the feeling... the first time the Arabs appeared, they had Rome, Mediolanum, Canae, Antium and Arretium as cities :)

however... I thought that making the Arabs as a colony of Persia was a nice touch :)

Two were yes (iirc), the other one was on a group of islands.

There's no way a vassal of yours can win the space race. All you have to do is keep them from researching one of the last spaceship techs like Ecology or Fusion and they'll never be able to build the last piece. Just go into the diplomacy screen and say "Let's discuss something else..." "Why don't you research..." Future Tech 12 or anything but Fusion. :mischief:

Ummmmm hasn't the USA surpassed great Britain technologically, and largely follows its own policies?

Even the rest of the Commonwealth while loosely following Britain's lead in Wars eventually makes its own decisions.

Latin America No longer listens much to either Spain or Portugal....get my drift?

off opic but i can only make one colony the rest end up in the hands of other nations or just doesnt work

off opic but i can only make one colony the rest end up in the hands of other nations or just doesnt work

In one landmass yes.
But if you have other cities in other landmass that is not the landmass of your first colony, then yes, you can make more colonies.

You can start as many colonies as the game allows civs and the map allows. On an archipelago map with few civs, I once started 9 colonies.

You might have reached the maximum number of civs in the game (18 overall, alive or destroyed) or you're trying to start a new colony on the same continent you have another already.

On the same continent, you might not get the option of giving conquered cities to your colony if their capital is farther to those cities than the original owner's capital. You might have to wait until the conquered city is no longer revolting too - it happened to me a few times - I couldn't give a city to my vassal right after its conquest - only back to the original owner, but when the revolt phase was over I could give it to my colony (no longer to the original owner, as his capital was farther)

I've had it happen to me before too where I "Grant Independence to X cities" and it gives the cities to my colony instead of creating a new colony. I'm not sure what causes this.

I've had it happen to me before too where I "Grant Independence to X cities" and it gives the cities to my colony instead of creating a new colony. I'm not sure what causes this.

This happened to me as well.

I agree, colonies on the same landmass join an existing colony, whereas colonies on a different landmass create a new Civ.

There is a kind of small bug I noticed. As the posters above said, the game will offer you to grant independance to some cities but will actually liberate them to one of your vassals.

It happens when you're not supposed to be able to grant independance (the two times it happened to me, this was a "one colony per landmass" situation). The resulting event (liberation of your colonies) is not bugged, it's just the menu that has a glitch - the "grant independance" option shouldn't have been triggered.

well i normally play Terra maps, so i make a colony in south, then i start making cities in north, use the world builder and split the landmass into two, then i form another colony in North since its a technicly a different continent now, then i go back to world builder and join the continents, you could do that depending on map size on continents to i guess

Top Bottom