Really furious!

RRRaskolnikov

Goldfish
Hi folks :),

A brand new game... of civilization V!

Links to turn-set reports:

Game version: regular edition (not sure if there are compatibility problems... edit: there are many and tiresome with that)

Game settings:

Mapscript: up for discussion. standard size
Normal Speed
Level: to be discussed.
Leader:Bismarck
Silly restriction: We may NOT build any military units during the whole game!!! :cool:
Victory condition:
Spoiler :
Domination of course :rolleyes:

First strategy comment:
Spoiler :
The idea is to put the german unique ability to test and get the maximum out of it, which means implementing kind of a barb camp farming. Also, we will need to exploit militaristic city-states unit gifts to be able to bring this home. So keep that in mind when we discuss level, map, and settling strategies. We need to take care of our city-states and our little barbies :lol:

Beating the AI (or getting beaten :mischief:), discussion, and fun are the focus of this game... 24/72 rule apply...

I will post a save later when we agreed on final settings...

Roster:
Need 5 brave souls to take on this...

Raskolnikov
nuts 2
nuts 3
nuts 4
nuts 5
nuts 6

Cheers,
Raskolnikov :hatsoff:

I will play. I just played my first game with Bismark as leader, so I think I have a handle on how this ability works. I think getting (social policy) honor early is very important, as it shows you where barbarian camps respawn. I would suggest getting that, then saving for patronage, teching to enable those as soon as possible.

I think we could do this with only a few cities (even one, but I think two or three is best, depending on the difficulty level and if we want to try for some wonders, since we will have to build those in our own cities), and just puppet every city we conquer. We definitely will want at least one coastal city that we built or annexed.

-Iustus

sounds fun--count me in. But I'm just getting started on civ5 so expect lot of weed

Have yet to play a civ V game into the ADs but if that's not a problem I'm in.

OK, pretty cool, roster closed! Welcome on board everyone!

I will play. I just played my first game with Bismark as leader, so I think I have a handle on how this ability works. I think getting (social policy) honor early is very important, as it shows you where barbarian camps respawn. I would suggest getting that, then saving for patronage, teching to enable those as soon as possible.

I was to post something like this: both honor and patronage are very good. I am a fond of the doubling xp social policy in particular. Though I guess we have time to refine strategies. :)

I think we could do this with only a few cities (even one, but I think two or three is best, depending on the difficulty level and if we want to try for some wonders, since we will have to build those in our own cities), and just puppet every city we conquer. We definitely will want at least one coastal city that we built or annexed.

I usually (usually is 5 games :D) build a few cities before going on pupet farming spree but Bismarch looks perfect for a no settler strategy (though the map will dictate most of our choices here I guess). Though I like to annex them once happiness allows. Welcome on board.

sounds fun--count me in. But I'm just getting started on civ5 so expect lot of weed

Good to have you here Ungy! Don't worry, I have no problem with weed... ;) And it's all about having fun exploring a new game!

I'll do it, sounds like fun. :)

Welcome on board!

Have yet to play a civ V game into the ADs but if that's not a problem I'm in.

Nice to have you here Rusten. No restrictions on finish date, no :D

i'd like to join, this variant looks fun
for level I think emperor+ would be good - V seems easier then IV

If you can't build units, building wonders seems best (most buildings are quite expensive, both in hammers and maintenance)

I do like the G-Lib > Civil Service slingshot (If there are rivers)

Yet another member of the Taxman game! Welcome on board. Not too sure about the wonders honnestly. I've been playing emperor and immortal and the lib is built by 2000 bc nearly all games. I'd rather focus on making money and scientist (but open to anything of course!). But let's wait for the map :)

Final roster (the order might change depending on avaibility and wishes):

Raskolnikov
Iustus
Ungy
Mango Elephant
Rusten
Emperor Peter

alternate: TheFragLeader

We need to decide a level and a mapscript. I see something in the range emperor/immortal/deity (give your preferences, I know some of them already though, mine would be immortal at least -and I noted yours EP-) in a pangea or continent mapscript. Let's get started!

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

I'll add you as alternate then. :)

edit: @Iulius: one of the added benefit of honor is also the cheapest upgrades (last branch iirc), mandatory with this variant I think.

I'll add you as alternate then. :)

edit: @Iustus: one of the added benefit of honor is also the cheapest upgrades (last branch iirc), mandatory with this variant I think.

Agreed. We probably will not get there on this map size, but the Pentagon is useful for the same reason. (I just did something like this on a large size map and it was useful). I think it can be a bit easier to get the later game wonders.

For the big sprawling empire of puppet states, the following are also useful:

Social Policies:
Honor (combat bonus vs barbs and reveals respawns, we need this first), Honor: Military Caste (garrison happy), Patronage (whole line: we need to buddy with city states to make us units), Patronage: Cultural Diplomacy (more happy from luxuries), Order: Planned Economy (unhappy for city count halved), Freedom (population unhappy halved, this is a huge one for large empires, almost required), Commerce: Protectionism (more happy from luxuries)

Wonders:
Forbidden Palace (unhappiness for city count halved; zero with Planned economy)
Pentagon (half cost upgrades)

-iustus

Question: Can we build a warrior (or scout) if our starting one dies? Assuming scouts count as military units?

lurker's comment: Personally I'd say no, as that goes against the variant. Looks like I'm too late for this one, so I'll just lurk. Should be very interesting.

I was thinking that if we lose our warrior before we get any other units, then we would have lost. I suppose that is not 100% true, if we have already discovered a military city state, but if not, then there is no way to win, so early moves with the warrior need to be careful, as he is irreplaceable. An alternative would be to say that if we are ever down to zero units, we can build one scout.

I assumed we'd play Pangea to make sure we get at least 1 militaristic city state. Point of the SG being to make some use of the militaristic city states which are not very popular.

@Iustus: No warriors nor scouts :) So, yes we better not loose that first warrior... (if it happens via bad luck or missclick, we can always restart if it's early but I would prefer to stay in spirit and don't build anything). Warriors survive more easly in this game than in civ4 though.

@Methos: Cool to have you on the lurking side! See you in another game. :)

Anyone has some kind of statistic regarding military cities? I think continent would add another challenge to the game (as EP said), but I share Rusten concerns about finding enough military city-states in our land-mass. (I had 3 in my last continent map but I need to check if this is the regular case or not - I assume 16 CS option so 8 per continent so at least 2 militaristic per continent but wanna check- :p)
I will have a look at the ratio on different maps waiting for more opinion. We should have a save today and get going if everyone chime in!

Cheers,
Ras

Social Policies:
Honor (combat bonus vs barbs and reveals respawns, we need this first), Honor: Military Caste (garrison happy), Patronage (whole line: we need to buddy with city states to make us units), Patronage: Cultural Diplomacy (more happy from luxuries), Order: Planned Economy (unhappy for city count halved), Freedom (population unhappy halved, this is a huge one for large empires, almost required), Commerce: Protectionism (more happy from luxuries)

Wonders:
Forbidden Palace (unhappiness for city count halved; zero with Planned economy)
Pentagon (half cost upgrades)

I agree both mentionned wonders are very good. I think we will have a thought at them once we are there. THough I had difficulties for now to unlock a load of doctrines. Something like 9/10 per game. So as we are unlikely to focus on culture, we will have choices to make regarding civics. It is hard to unlock honor, patronage, bit of commerce, and then full order :D. But I agree everything you noted is usefull for our variant. Maybe some are better than me at generating culture. :)

edit: an advantage of pangea would be to find more "friendly" and "neutral" city states. Those cost less to keep allied (the rate at which influence points decreases depends on this).

OK, pretty cool, roster closed
I usually (usually is 5 games :D) build a few cities before going on pupet farming spree but Bismarch looks perfect for a no settler strategy (though the map will dictate most of our choices here I guess). Though I like to annex them once happiness allows. Welcome on board.

About puppets: In this multiplayer game I had, I conquered 2 city states close to my cap (they both had multiple happy resources) after I had 2 scouts upgraded to archers early.
This increased my science and money so much I was running away with the game before I even built a settler. So they help at first, until they build too many expensive buildings.
But I understand you can annex puppets and then raze them when you want. If you then have a settler ready, you could immediately resettle the area. No need to wait for a courthouse.

Confirmed City State

Militaristic City States

Almaty [Kazakhstan]
Belgrade [Serbia]
Budapest [Hungary]
Dublin [Ireland]
Edinburgh [Scotland]
Hanoi [Viet Nam]
Sidon [Lebanon]
Tyre [Lebanon]

Cultured City States

Allied Cultured City States give +6 Culture per turn

Brussels [Belgium]
Bucharest [Romania]
Florence [Italy]
Geneva [Switzerland]
Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia]
Lhasa [China (Tibet)]
Monaco [Monaco]
Seoul [South Korea]
Vienna [Austria]
Warsaw [Poland]

Maritime City States

Allied Maritime City States give +2 food in your capital and +1 food in all your cities as well as any resources they have access to

Cape Town [South Africa]
Copenhagen [Denmark]
Genoa [Italy]
Helsinki [Finland]
Oslo [Norway]
Ragusa [Italy or Croatia]
Rio de Janeiro [Brazil]
Singapore [Singapore]
Stockholm [Sweden]
Venice [Italy]

Considering we can put 28 max ingame, this seems to be complete... Thus we can expect 3/4 on a stardard size map (I intend to play the regular setting: 16 CS for a normal map). If you think that some AIs can kill some before we can do anything, or the possibility that they all end up on the other continent, I think we have no choices but pangea (no, Rusten didn't influence me :mischief:). Thoughts?

PS: naval units not allowed of course :goodjob:

Top Bottom