Really? This has just gotten sad...

lol

Somehow I suspect someone has missed how private companies work. When they sell several million units, it's not exactly feedback that something is wrong...500 people having a cry out of a playerbase which reaches into the millions, isn't exactly going to make much of an impression. :)

I think that it's just to each his own. I know a diehard competitive RTS player who has struggled for a month trying to make himself have fun in SC2. But he couldn’t. He said that “cartoonish graphics” just kept ruining it for him.

Oh my. Does a cartoony art-style challenge their manhood, or what?

To be brutally honest, that's my theory. When I hear someone rant on and on about cartoony graphics I can't help but picture someone with a big fluffy hat and The Mystery Method tucked under his arm :D

I'm sure that's not fair and there are normative specimens who have a bug up their butt about it, but yeah, I picture a hopeless PUA who weighs either 75 or 400+ lbs when I first think about it.

( I used to be super super fat, too, so I'm not saying that makes them a bad person, just a silly one. )

Introspection isn't always easy, and there's a lot in this world to wear and frustrate. Sometimes it's easier to just pick an easy target and go crazy than actually figure out your problems and solve them. At least they aren't being destructive.

Or maybe they are just bored and want to see if they can try and rattle some cages.

I don't see why anyone could legitimately be so emotionally invested in the aesthetic choices for Civ6 though.

Introspection isn't always easy, and there's a lot in this world to wear and frustrate. Sometimes it's easier to just pick an easy target and go crazy than actually figure out your problems and solve them. At least they aren't being destructive.

Or maybe they are just bored and want to see if they can try and rattle some cages.

As much as I like to vent and joke about this sort ( Maybe for similar reasons in my own right? :eek: ) this is precisely where fanwarriors come from.

They also completely miss the point that there's a reason why it's so-called cartoony: With lots more going on on the map with districts and whathaveyou a better 'readability' of the graphics is necessary to easily distinguish everything.
(Although it's ironic in this light that hills are actually harder to spot)

People are different. Some people like BDSM, some people can't stand cartoony graphics. That's ok, diversity is a good thing.
Of course, 500 is far not enough audience for full rebuild of graphics, something like 500,000 would cause some thought in Firaxis.

Good point, and it would be nice if they have enough devotion and competence to focus their effort into making a mod like Blue Marble for Civ4

they want the game to be as indistinguishable from other games as possible. i remember the last major video game awards or whatever for game of the year, it was something like bloodborne, mgs5, witcher 3, and mario maker. mario maker was the only one without the gritty realism style. it's pretty sad

i don't think a petition was successful for 'fixing' diablo 3 graphics either

they want the game to be as indistinguishable from other games as possible. i remember the last major video game awards or whatever for game of the year, it was something like bloodborne, mgs5, witcher 3, and mario maker. mario maker was the only one without the gritty realism style. it's pretty sad

i don't think a petition was successful for 'fixing' diablo 3 graphics either

No, but it did spawn, or at least greatly contribute to an extremely successful alternative in Path of Exile. Of course there's a lot of gameplay considerations there as well.

Graphical style is personal taste. It's not right or wrong.

I personally like Civ5's style more, but think I will be able to live with Civ6's style.

Well, everyone is entitled to have an opinion, if written in a respectful way.

My question is: Will it matter what a tiny minority (500 possible players) think about the art design of a game meant to be sold to millions?

IMHO no, having in mind the costs that would entail remaking all the art, it's not worth it. Specially having in mind the fact that the same minority may not like the new "realistic dlc".

This is stupid and downright un-elegant. Crass. Classless.

I mean, I understand that artstyles can make or break a game. I also disliked for example, when Diablo took a cartoony style, because it made it look far more generic and tonally off-putting.

But there are cartoon styles and cartoon styles. And Firaxis artists's have made an incredible job here. Civ 6 looks far less generic than 5, the leader animations are incredible and far more expressive than on any civ entry, and the map is far more readable thanks to its stylization.

People who dislikes a cartoony style due to it being cartoony per se, rather than due to any other consideration is no better than the whole "Nintendo kiddy" brigade.

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up”- C.S Lewis

No, but it did spawn, or at least greatly contribute to an extremely successful alternative in Path of Exile. Of course there's a lot of gameplay considerations there as well.

Ah yes, Path of Mannequins.

PoE's gameplay is really complicated and, despite having played it some, I don't feel that I understand it well enough to critique it.

Graphically, though, it's absolutely hideous. It has that horrible "mannequin" look, replete with horrid stiff animations and just a general lifelessness. Diablo 3 has a sort of SNES-on-steroids feeling, very fluid and bombastic. Diablo 3 completely outclasses PoE if we're talking about graphics.

If your taste says that PoE looks better than Diablo 3 then, with all due respect, I take you as seriously as a redneck who prefers a McDouble to expensive sushi.

This is stupid and downright un-elegant. Crass. Classless.

I mean, I understand that artstyles can make or break a game. I also disliked for example, when Diablo took a cartoony style, because it made it look far more generic and tonally off-putting.

But there are cartoon styles and cartoon styles. And Firaxis artists's have made an incredible job here. Civ 6 looks far less generic than 5, the leader animations are incredible and far more expressive than on any civ entry, and the map is far more readable thanks to its stylization.

People who dislikes a cartoony style due to it being cartoony per se, rather than due to any other consideration is no better than the whole "Nintendo kiddy" brigade.

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up”- C.S Lewis

I love that C.S. Lewis quote.

Also, I don't think Diablo 3 looked "generic" at all. It looked like World of Warcraft, and that triggered the "I liked Blizzard before Blizzard was cool!" hipstergland in everyone's brain. I also think the memory of Diablo 2 being particularly dark was a mis-memory, having more to do with it being sort of fuzzy looking due to the limitations of the rendering style. In actual fact, side by side, it looks rather similar to Diablo 3, even surprisingly so.

But yes, I agree emphatically about Civilization 6. I've been excited about the art direction since day 1. Anyone who says it looks like generic mobile art isn't really sharp-eyed enough to critique art direction, IMO.

Top Bottom