Really useful combo? Wernher von Braun + Carl Sagan

iammaxhailme

Emperor
Scientist Carl Sagan gives 3000 production towards space race things. Werhner von braun gives + 100% production towards space race things, so I think this means he doubles them. I popped Werhner first and then Carl and I think it gave me 6000, as I could make two mars things in two turns (each costing 3000).

I popped two GPs that give 100% to space things and then did Carl Sagan. I got 3 pieces of the Mars habitat done over the next 3 turns. That seems OP, but it is hard to pull off, I suppose.

I got them both and with the overflow calculations I got all 3 parts built in 1 turn each with left overs to 2 thermonuclear devices. Something is not right in the math.

Last night, I got the two GPs that gave +100% production for space projects, which I'm very thankful for O_O I don't recall the hammer costs for each step, but I know that each module of the Mars colonization required 3000 cogs. Even with the most productive city I could find in my empire, even with about 10 trade routes feeding out of it to maximize the amount of cogs I was generating, it was taking my city 7ish turns to build each of those modules. Without those GPs I would've very likely lost to Religion or by time.

Seems like you pretty much need great people to pull off the space victory in less than a billion years, shouldn't be that way.

I'd be fine with a bit of rebalancing, but if you get production and science buildings/districts, you can get these great people much easier, and you should be building those districts anyway for a science victory. So it's still a pretty nice synnergy with what you would otherwise be trying to do.

The idea is to snatch those GP away from your contenders, I suppose. You can keep track of the great persons that each civ recruited. If you let a player take all three of them you probably are sitting duck while they fly to Mars.

People complaining that building space race projects takes too long are just bad at the game.

Finished a science victory on Epic last night, and by the time I built my last two Mars modules they both took 7 turns to complete, each in a different city. So that's 3.5 turns on Quick, which is actually way too fast and would be very hard for an opponent to stop in time.

Production isn't too slow, tech is just too fast.

People complaining that building space race projects takes too long are just bad at the game.

I think what's happened is a shock based based on how we approached civ V. This is what happened to me anyway:

First game: "Hmm, I'm going to get campuses and lots of science because that's how civ V worked! Oh my gosh, everything is taking forever to build!"

Second/third game: "Ok, so I've learned my lesson, I'm going to spam industrial districts and commercial harbors like mad to keep up my production! Hmm, it's still taking a while, but my cities are so stuck without it!"

Fourth game: "Ok, I'm going to try out these area of effect bonuses, lets see... Aha, so that's how you do it, this really doesn't take that long!"

Maybe afterwards I'll learn how many area of effect bonuses is actually optimal and tweak the formula a bit to see if I can get things to work better and fit in some culture/science/encampment districts in there.

Seems like you pretty much need great people to pull off the space victory in less than a billion years, shouldn't be that way.

With the proper policies and 3 factories, the difference for me was about 10 turns, standard speed. Not unbalanced in my opinion, but I had planned way way way in advance to build my cities in that way, in fact I overplanned and ended up building 4 spaceports instead of the 2 I ended up using. Oops.

Anecdotal I know, not all individual playthroughs are like that, seems like there's a large spectrum and we'll need to play more to figure it out, and the devs will need to think it through very thoroughly rather than just cut down on production costs and introduce other imbalances, IMO.

Top Bottom