Realpolitik 2014

Lighthearter

President of the United States
Since time immemorial, your people have lived a nomadic life. And you have lived with them – as an Immortal, one of that race sometimes called Gods. But you’re nothing more than a man who cannot die.

But that gives you power. And now that your people are deciding to settle down . . . form a government . . . choose a leader . . . .

Do the math – Politician.

Welcome to Realpolitik 2014. I am Lighthearter, in case you didn’t notice my name over there. Realpolitik is a simple enough game – the first one I ran when I came to these forums.

First, I as always yield all credit for the game to TRP on the Paradox Forums. I didn’t invent Realpolitik, but I sure did spend a LOT of time working on it.

First, ground rules: Don't be an ass. That's basically it, and I reserve the right to penalize or even outright kick anyone I deem to be breaking this rule, without explanations. But I'm sure we'll get along fine :p

The History of Realpolitik
Spoiler :
There have been four Realpolitiks run by myself so far. The first one was called Realpolitik CIV, and is the only one I ran based on Civ 4: Beyond the Sword. It proceeded for 280 turns, as Great Britain, and was regarded at the time as one of the best forum games(this was four years ago, when IOT was also still just emerging). It is still held in high regard by any of its players I am still in contact with on a regular basis.

The second came in two phases, both for Civilization 5 Original. Realpolitik 2: Novus Ordo Seclorumr first saw a beta test playing on a true start location earth-map as Russia. There was some experimentation with Governors, NPC voting and a few other odds and ends in the beta, which escalated to large-scale mechanics in the full game(Realpolitik 2: Dark Storm Rising, played as the USA). Despite the success of some of these mechanics, the game did not last as long as the original.

Realpolitik 3 was a disaster, also on Civ5 Original. I will not speak of it beyond that most of the ideas it experimented with were absolute crap. It was played as the Mongols, the Romans and the Aztecs as part of an attempted hotseat game for multiple factions. It inadvertently gave rise to the Action Chatroom(AC) genre, but it was not a good Realpolitik game.

Realpolitik: Star of the Shogun was an attempt much more in line with the original than most previous stabs at a sequel. It was played in Civilization 5 Original as the Japanese. There was some good effort from both GM and players, but the sins of RP2 and 3 were too fresh in my mind and I was not all prepared to run a long-term game. It died a quiet death not long after it started.

Over this period several other Realpolitiks were run. I don’t know exactly how many, but I know Arya126 ran at least one and Sonereal ran at least two, and I believe there was another one or two I am forgetting.

And this brings us to the here and now: Realpolitik 2014, played on Civ 5 Brave New World. I hope to keep this game going longer than the previous entries and recapture some of the magic of Realpolitik CIV – most of the crazy mechanics of the past games have been cut, in favor of a simplistic approach that gradually adds new mechanics as technology advances in the game.

The essentials of the game: We’ll play a game of Civilization 5 Brave New World, from start to finish. Every 15 turns, I’ll post an update on the state of the country, and everyone will get a chance to offer their opinions about what should be done. The player elected as the President will then send me a set of orders for the next 10 turns and we repeat the cycle. Every 30 turns there will be an election for the next President, after a certain initial period.

That’s the core basic idea, but there’s a lot more to it. Let’s go over the Fundamentals, then the Government, the Opposition, NPCs, Elections and everything else, shall we?

The Fundamentals of Play:

At the start, everyone will vote on the nation we play as, as well as the difficulty level and the other nations that will be in the world. We are using YAGEM’s “Large Earth Map with TSL” with 41 City-States(minimum separation) and 22 main civs. I have played several games with these settings before and I assure you my computer can handle it.

Civ Choice:

Since the victory path of a Civ5 game is HIGHLY dependent on your civilization choice, I will be changing from my norm with these games and allowing the players to decide what civilization we will use. In RP1 we played as Britain, RP2 was the USA(And Russia during the beta test of the concepts), and RP: Star of the Shogun was Japan. All four of those civilizations WILL exist as AIs on the map, unless one is chosen to play. I do NOT own the Inca. If there is a vote that is highly inconclusive, we will default to a coin flip choice between Polynesia and the Celts, my personal favorites. You have 2 votes – pick your favorite and a reasonable backup option!

Choice of Difficulty:

I am not a good CiV player. But I’m not a sucky one either. Choose the difficulty you want for our game here – be aware that due to the nature of the game in the thread vs the game in the GAME, we have a host of advantages(and disadvantages) that the computer will not have. For example, you cannot directly control the national military nor can you specifically respond to individual trade deals. On the flip side, later in the game Politicians can purchase units and buildings in cities for no cost to the nation. You have only 1 vote for Difficulty Level.

Choice of Rivals:

I know that the atmosphere of a Civ game is almost as dependent on who you’re murdering on turn 15 as it is on who you play as. To that end, you have 2 votes for AI nations that will populate the world with us(please, no votes for England, Russia, USA or Japan, as those four are all confirmed). Pick your two favorites. The top four civilizations will be placed in game alongside us, and the rest left random.

Once all that is done, and we’ve confirmed who we are, how dangerous the other guys are, and who some of them are, we will have our first presidential election. Now we move to the basics of elections and political parties and coalitions.

Parties:

When you join the game, you can either found your own political party or join an existing one. There is a cap of 9 Parties. Outline your stance and what kinds of victory and development you will pursue, supply a party symbol and color if you want, and generally have fun roleplaying – it will net you bonus Political Capital, which we’ll go over later.

In elections, you can only vote for Parties, and you have 2 votes to start with. Voting for the same party twice is not allowed. Thus, it’s important that we have at least four parties for a healthy political atmosphere.

Coalitions:

Because everyone has two votes, Parties can league together to form Coalitions, which are united fronts of several parties. Coalitions put up candidates for President in each election. Once you place a vote for a party, it CANNOT be withdrawn, but that party can leave its coalition and join another one during elections. Be careful with your votes.

NPCs:

In the first election, there are no NPC voters, as the people are too much in awe of their Immortal overlords to believe themselves worthy of even being in the same room as their “gods”. However, once the Classical Era dawns, people will begin to make their voices heard. Every city in the Empire has a number of votes equal to 1/3 of its population, rounded down, up to the player count. See the section on Political Capital for information on how to gain NPC votes in this fashion. In addition, there may be NPC political “movements” and parties starting in the Classical Era that vote based on their own agenda, and can join Coalitions with like-minded Politicians. As time passes, Great People and even your City-State Allies can supply votes in elections.

The First Election:

In the first election, which will start as soon as the voting for civs, rivals and difficulty ends, it’s just you players putting someone in the Presidential Palace. The President can make whatever promises he wants, whether he intends to back them up or not. Whichever Coalition earns the most votes wins. In a tie, I will use an RNG to pick the winner. Once the President is in office, he must pick three other players to serve as his Military, Domestic and Foreign Advisers, respectively. They have no direct power, but as Advisers they have a third vote in the next election and an increased income of Political Capital, presumably at the price of loyalty to the President. But, we all know stories of traitors in power, don’t we?

The President himself has two additional votes in the next election, and earns even more PC than his Advisers. The President may also place two votes for the same Party, but only two. After the election, the President asks me for screenshots and data and after examining the information and conferring with anyone he wants(or no one at all!) shoots me a PM with a plan for the next 30 turns. At the end of that timeframe, I will post updated screenshots and details about what has transpired.

The President remains in office unchallenged until the dawn of the Classical Era(Unless Stonehenge is built, which will enable elections early but not NPC voting). At that time, I will progress to the next multiple of 10 turns, and then save the game, take screenshots(Our territory overview, each city screen, the tech tree, the policy tree, and a couple other things), and begin the first true election. After that updates will be every 15 turns(A “turnset”) and elections every 30(a “term”), and will remain as such until the end of the game.

The Opposition Leader:

The Opposition Leader(OL) is usually the opposing presidential candidate, but not always. He manages the Opposition’s actions and political responses to the President, and coordinates electoral and political strategy for “next time”. Whether he is or isn’t the defeated candidate, it’s likely he will be the next one. It is possible for there to be two or more separate oppositions, but their strength degrades with disunity, so it’s usually better to try and negotiate toward common ground against the Government.

Political Capital:

Right, about time I explained THIS, isn’t it? Political Capital is used like money, you might say: it’s a numerical representation of your power in the nation. Everyone earns 40 for every turn in the game, except Advisers(60) and the President(75).

Political Capital at the start may only be used to invest in Cities, and even then only after the discovery of Writing. Once NPC voting begins, the Political Capital invested in each city will be tallied, turned into percentages, and NPC votes will be awarded to parties based on those percentages – for example, in a 12-pop city with 4 parties each having invested 300, each will have a 25% investment and receive one of the city’s four votes. It won’t always be that clean, but the same math will be used. Once the Classical Era hits, PC can be used to purchase Buildings and Units, for the same price as they would cost in Gold in-game. PC has even more uses further down the line, but right now you don’t know about those.

Governmental Actions:

Being, you know, the Government, the President and his cronies can execute several potentially very powerful actions to various ends.

Martial Law: Any city with a garrison inside it cannot vote in elections. This includes Politicians who use that city as a Home City(See Politician Actions).

Crackdown: If the Opposition is staging a Riot in a city under Martial Law(See Opposition Actions), a Crackdown will disperse the Riot by force, resuming Martial Law, but at the cost of increased unrest among NPCs. It will also imprison the Politicians leading the Riot, which can be useful with elections coming up.

Ban Party: This action designates a single party as banned, and prevents NPCs from voting for them, though Politicians still can.

Emergency Powers: This action, which requires a 2/3 majority vote of all Politicians, extends the President’s time in office indefinitely and can only be repealed by the President himself.

Ban City-State Voting: This action will prevent City-States from casting votes in the election. See City-States. Requires a majority vote of all Politicians if not under Emergency Powers.

Ban NPC Voting: This action will make all NPC Parties unable to cast votes. See NPC Parties. Requires a majority vote of all Politicians if not under Emergency Powers.

Opposition Actions:

The Opposition, essentially all parties that are not part of the coalition in power, have a few tricks of their own that they can use to prevent the government becoming a dictatorial clique. Some are responses to certain Government actions, whereas others have individual purpose.

Stage Riot: This action is a response to Martial Law. A Politician can lead a riot in a city that is being suppressed, which has a chance of forcing the Military out. More participating Politicians will increase the odds of success. However, a Crackdown may ensue, especially if the government wants to Jail the Politicians leading the Riot.

Seize City: The Opposition, through bribery or force, takes control of a city. This may be public or secret, depending on the wishes of the OL. Once it is done, if it succeeds, the Leader issues a set of orders for that city to follow. The Opposition is in control until the Government either places Martial Law on the city or the Opposition hands control back.

Recall Vote: Can only be proposed by the OL. If a 2/3 majority of Politicians support the Recall Vote, an immediate Politicians-only election will be held. Cannot be performed while Emergency Powers are active.

Armed Revolution: Politicians attempt to seize power by force from the President and his Advisers. Everyone chooses sides in the thread after this action is declared. Forewarning: All Politicians on the losing side will be Jailed(Cannot vote until released) once the dust settles, and production across the Empire is disrupted quite badly for the next turnset, so this is a measure of LAST resort.

Politician Actions:

There are a few actions an individual Politician can perform. While not as powerful as those of the Government or Opposition, they do have some pronounced effects. The Opposition Leader or Advisers can perform these actions as well, but the President must live in the Capital and manage the world of politics.

Establish Home City: Pick a city in the Empire. This City is your Home City, and as long as you’ve stayed there for more than one turnset your party is guaranteed 1/3 of the city’s votes for every election you live in the city. Unfortunately, if the city is placed under Martial Law or conquered by enemies, you lose the ability to vote until the situation is resolved. A maximum of two Politicians can make their home in any one city.

Move to City-State: Move to a nearby City-State. You lose one vote due to being away from the halls of power, but the City-State is guaranteed to vote for your party in the next election if you’ve stayed there longer than one turnset. It also gains 1 additional vote regardless of your relationship with the City-State, 2 votes if it is a Friend, and 3 if it is Allied. However if City-State voting is banned, you lose all ability to vote until the ban is repealed, though you could move back to the Empire. If WAR breaks out between the City-State and the Empire, your votes are removed until the conflict is ended. Only one Politician can live in each City-State.

Raise Volunteer Unit: You can choose at any time to outfit a unit of any type. It must be one the Empire has the technology to build, and cannot be a Unique Unit from another Civilization. The unit will start with 9 promotions, which you can choose down to the last detail, and you can name it as you see fit. It will start either outside the Capital or outside your Home City if you have one. While you are in the field, however, you lose both votes due to being caught up in military affairs. You can supply a general order for your unit “My Caravel will explore” “My Artillery will support the troops defending the capital” but these orders can be superseded at will by the President. To regain your votes, simply return to the halls of power. Your unit will be disbanded.

Become an Officer: This action instantly creates a Great General or Great Admiral. However, you lose both votes due to being away on military campaigns. You do NOT have control over your avatar in game, being in service to the Imperial military. To regain your votes, simply return to the halls of power. Your unit will be disbanded.

Join the Clergy: This action requires the Empire to be the founder of a religion. You instantly become a Great Prophet and can either Enhance the Religion or spread the faith. You lose one vote if the former, due to being engaged in theology, and both votes if the latter, due to being away preaching the faith. You can only do this once.

For all “Lose votes” consequences: those votes are for the NEXT Presidential Election, and any Recall Votes or Special Elections in the meantime. You will get them back AFTER the election, even if you return to the capital before the election. Red tape, you know?

The March of Technology:

As Technology advances, new abilities will open up. Some will be publicly announced, but others will be revealed to the President via PM, and he will decide whether to share the information. There is one specific Technology and one specific Wonder per age that give unique bonuses in the thread.

Ancient Age: Writing and Stonehenge
Classical Age: Philosophy and The Oracle
Medieval Age: Theology and Notre Dame
Renaissance Age: Printing Press and Forbidden Palace
Industrial Age: Archaeology and 3 Factories(Only non-Wonder)
Modern Age: Radio and The National Intelligence Agency(Only National Wonder)
Atomic Age: Computers and The Pentagon
Information Age: The Internet and The Great Firewall(Only one from a previous Age)

The only two whose powers are known are Stonehenge and Writing. I won’t list the effects here(you’ll have to read the rest of the rules to figure it out). The powers of the other techs and wonders will have to be discovered the hard way. In the event another civilization beats us to the wonder listed(for all except Industrial and Modern ones) I will reveal in the thread what the bonus would have been.

There are a few changes whose effects are known as time passes, even if we do not know exactly what the changes DO:

-Classical Age enables NPC voting, NPC Movements and Elections if no Stonehenge
-Medieval Age enables Special Operatives, City-State voting, City Wishes and Vassals
-Industrial Age enables Ideology choice, which has political effects

Everything listed here will be publicly explained when we enter the listed Age. Most have something to do with Political Capital. There may be other secret changes for the President or Opposition Leader’s ears only.

I believe that’s everything. If there are questions, let me know. I’m more than willing to update this post. The next two posts are reserved, the first as a Party list and election history and the second one just in case.

Civilization: Poland
Difficulty Level: Prince

Current Coalition In Power: Solidarity (ELECTIONS UNDERWAY)
President’s Party: Cult of the Watchtower

President: Omega124 (ELECTIONS UNDERWAY)
Military Adviser: Dem Taqat (ELECTIONS UNDERWAY)
Foreign Adviser: Red Spy (ELECTIONS UNDERWAY)
Domestic Adviser: Terran Emperor (ELECTIONS UNDERWAY)

Opposition Leader: Arya126

HALL OF PRESIDENTS:
Omega124 - Turn 0-Turn 80. 1st President of the Polish Empire. Advisers Dem Taqat, Terran Emperor, Red Spy.

Party Name: The Guardian Party
Description: The core belief of the Guardian party is to protect the nation and its people. This belief is achieved through a variety of means, such as ensuring our culture is the foremost in the world, always staying on top of technology, and never letting our military lag behind in numbers or quality. This will allow the Guardian Party to employ a flexible platform at any given time, as while generally conservative on most issues, it recognizes that the most important issue is the survival of our nation and its people.
Symbol:
Spoiler :

Color: Navy Blue
Members: Arya126
Founder: Arya126
Leader: Arya126

Party Name: Pious Party of Poland
Description: Focuses on making getting Poland organised in its faiths and using it to advance Poland further, along with taking us in one with what ever we set our spiritual connection to. Proclaims stability and welfare for citizens. Along with faith we encourage culture for its importance in allowing us to find the truth (plus piety tree) and technology can allow us to carry out divine favour. Will encourage charity.
Symbol:
Color:
Members: Ailedhoo
Founder: Ailedhoo
Leader: Ailedhoo

Party Name: Social Democratic Party
Description: The Social Democratic Party will fight for the rights of the proletariat, the common people!
Symbol:
Spoiler :

Color: Red
Members: West India Man, SouthernKing
Founder: West India Man
Leader: West India Man

Party Name: Cult of the Watchtower
Description: The Cult of the Watchtower is a brotherhood of Immortals that reject the idea that immortals are gods, or even are entitled to rule over the mortals. Mortal society is best run by mortals; immortals should just sit back and let them survive without any gods or masters. Providing for the citizenry is also paramount to the Watchtower way of life; tending to the nation's happiness and culture is our number one priority. The army, especially at peace, should be barebones at best, and we reject any and all aggression perpetuated by our nation by any means.
Symbol:
Spoiler :

Color: ???
Members: Omega124
Founder: Omega124
Leader: Omega124

Party Name: Insanely Mad Warmonger's Party(IMWP)
Description: IMWP is about the establishment and protection of our democracy via strength. All men, Immortal or Mortal, should have a say in their government. We will have many enemies, internal and external, they will try and destroy us. The only way to liberate the whole world is to be strong. Through victory the whole world will be free.
Symbol:
Color:
Members: NinjaCow64
Founder: NinjaCow64
Leader: NinjaCow64

Party Name:Populist Progressive Party
Description: The Populist Progressive Party fights for the will of the people, to see that the people of Poland have their liberties, and their rights as a person.
The Populist Progressive Party seeks to establish a meritocratic state and to see the skilled advance in society.
The Populist Progressive Party seeks to build Poland up, to create the strongest production base, and have a world class economy and industry, so that Poland can out produce the world.
The Populist Progressive Party does not see the need for a giant army to defend ourselves, we just need the industry to build a giant army when we need to defend ourselves.
The Populist Progressive Party seeks to advance in technology peacefully, so that we may be able to defend our selves and give our people the highest quality of life.
Finally The Populist Progressive Party seeks to create a government based on compromise and unity between the multiple factions within Poland, that we may unite as one people, and come to agreement on how this great nation may be run.

Symbol:
Color:
Members: Terran Emperor, Sonereal
Founder: Terran Emperor
Leader: Terran Emperor

Party Name: Socialist Worker's Alliance
Description: The Socialist Worker's Alliance stands for the rights and welfare of common workers of the nation, while firmly supporting nationalistic and militaristic policies in order to safeguard national interests against other nations. Their economic policy involves concentrating national resources for the construction of new infrastructures and improvements to support the growth of the nation, which in order will further fulfill the needs of the people. In terms of foreign policy, the party strongly supports interventionist actions against other nations when it comes to securing national interests, through both diplomatic and militaristic means.
Symbol:
Color:
Members: Reus, Robert Can't
Founder: Reus
Leader: Reus

Party Name: Golden Liberty
Description: Golden Liberty will emphasise protection and extension of freedom to all proper Polish citizens. We feel as though the government exists to protect these freedoms and ensure the safety of those calling Poland home. A strong army should be maintained to protect our nation against outside threats, and it shall not be used to dominate and subjugate other peoples. By doing this, we shall make Poland a free and peaceful, but safe, land for those who wish to call it home.
Symbol:
Color:
Members: Red Spy, Mosher
Founder: Red Spy
Leader: Red Spy

Party Name: Party for the Immortal State of Poland(ISUP)
Description: Party for the Immortal State of a United Poland, an aristocrat, pro-immortal party that acknowledges the people's desire to recieve orders. We as Immortals know that the best and wisest shall rule, and that discipline and work are most important in the blossom of a new society, disregarding the unhappiness of the people.
A conservative, religious party that beliefs our nation will triumph through the strong cultural bond of Poland, always having the national interests as the first priority, expanding the Polish culture and border as far as each one can get.

Symbol:
Color:
Members: DevilHell
Founder: DevilHell
Leader: DevilHell

Coalitions:

Solidarity(Cult of the Watchtower/PPP/Golden Liberty)
Strength of Freedom(IMWP/TGP/SDP)

Civ Votes:

(For the lurkers: The votes are flying fast in IOT chat. Trying to keep it all written down so apologies for the fast changing.)

Denmark: 5
Poland: 4
Greece: 3
Polynesia: 2
Arabia: 4
USA: 1
China: 1
Brazil: 1
Morocco: 1
France: 1
Germany: 1

Venice: 6(REMOVED)

AI Votes:

Germany: 2
Celts: 2
Portugal: 1
Rome: 2
Venice: 1
Poland: 1
Brazil: 1
Polynesia: 1
Shoshone: 1
Aztec: 1
Greece: 1
Zulus: 1
Sweden: 1

Difficulty Votes:

Deity: 3
Prince: 7

Join the game and let's get to backstabbing each other!

-L

Reserving party. Will finalize party based on nation we're playing.

I vote we play Venice, with Morocco as back up. For NPCs, I vote Boudicca and Maria (Portugal).

EDIT: Also, Diety for difficulty, because I want to see some chaos.

I believe that this should be in the NES Forums. It seems like that type of thing.

I believe that this should be in the NES Forums. It seems like that type of thing.

I can just imagine the NES community's reaction, especially Luckymoose's, to this comment. Repeat of the IOT-NES merger backlash, but even more silly. XD

AKA, no, it shouldn't. Not by any long shot. Unless you want to start another flame war in the NES forum.

Geez, the sheer condescension in one comment.
Edit: This was @Omega

I vote Arabia or Venice.
I vote Rome or Germany.
I vote Deity.

No, Realpolitiks have traditionally been in the AAR section of the game they are using. Feel free to join in. If it lasts any period of time, it will be fun.

I would like to vote for our civ to be Greece or Denmark. Difficulty should be Prince.

The Guardian Party

The core belief of the Guardian party is to protect the nation and its people. This belief is achieved through a variety of means, such as ensuring our culture is the foremost in the world, always staying on top of technology, and never letting our military lag behind in numbers or quality. This will allow the Guardian Party to employ a flexible platform at any given time, as while generally conservative on most issues, it recognizes that the most important issue is the survival of our nation and its people.

Tentative Symbol:
Spoiler :

Color: Navy Blue

I vote Poland and Greece as civs.

Austria and Germany as Rivals

Prince as difficulty.

I vote for Brazil or Polynesia for PC. Portugal or Ottomans for NPC. Noble (or equivalent) difficulty. Failing that, the most popular difficulty that isn't deity.

Glory to the

Social Democratic Party!

The Social Democratic Party will fight for the rights of the proletariat, the common people!

I can just imagine the NES community's reaction, especially Luckymoose's, to this comment. Repeat of the IOT-NES merger backlash, but even more silly. XD

AKA, no, it shouldn't. Not by any long shot. Unless you want to start another flame war in the NES forum.

Haha my bad :crazyeye: I just joined NESing & I'm still trying to wrap my head around it & it's kind of "culture". Anyways I guess I'll leave you guys to your Realpolitiking :lol: hope it works out.

Venice currently leads with 4 votes, with Poly and Denmark tied for second place . Deity is in the lead for difficulty at 3-2 with Prince.

I have serious reservations about playing as Venice or playing on Deity. I won't ruin the democratic process by removing the options but I want to make sure you guys are aware that I've never played Venice and I've never gone above Prince. I've also never licked a spark plug or sniffed a stink bug, and I've never been to Boston in the fall.

In all seriousness, I would much prefer not Venice and not Deity but I won't fix the vote.

Poland as our Civ, with Arabia as a back-up.

Put Venice and Brazil in as NPCs (naming Civs at random here).

Play on Prince (or King?)

Joining Social Democratic Party (I DIDN'T HAVE TO CREATE IT THIS TIME!!! WOOO!!)

Spoiler Symbol :

The Cult of the Watchtower is a brotherhood of Immortals that reject the idea that immortals are gods, or even are entitled to rule over the mortals. Mortal society is best run by mortals; immortals should just sit back and let them survive without any gods or masters. Providing for the citizenry is also paramount to the Watchtower way of life; tending to the nation's happiness and culture is our number one priority. The army, especially at peace, should be barebones at best, and we reject any and all aggression perpetuated by our nation by any means.

Top Bottom