1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realpolitik CIV - An Interactive AAR

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Lighthearter, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resident_uk

resident_uk Warlord

Alright sorry for the double/ or triple post. Thanks for letting me in.

My computer seems to think that the edit button is the fast reply button :(

2. MathNerd

MathNerd High on math (a, not e)

Arya, how exactly is England in a bad state? We know how to write using an alphabet, we are about to discover the knowledge of math, and our empire is burgeoning with cities! I can't see how we could be that much better off than this.

3. MathNerd

(Double post apologies, I thought I might as well make the most out of it)

@Nukeknockout, I've played countless games where I have only defended, and I've won many of them. In fact, in most of my games, I run HR and have a very large defensive military and almost no offensive military other than a few fast pillaging units.

4. arya126

arya126 Squad Leader

Well mathnerd we could know where iron is. We could have some sort of coherent defense on the continent. We could have secured spain. We could have larger cities in both spain and scotland but the administration instead decided to create workers and stop growth. We could have avoided the loss of gold from our treasury. We could have built more workers from london to improve the great potential of our continental lands. We could have met the vikings by sending a scout up there. We could have explored africa. We could have had an effective 40(?) turns.

Thats at least 9 things that could have been done better, or done at all. And yes it is possibel to just hole up in defensive cities. It is POSSIBLE to survive and even win games with that. I concede there. But it is much more likely we will succeed if we have something to stop pillaging with. If we just hole up in cities, our economy is likely to be destroyed, which will mean we will have massive reconstruction efforts after the war, using resources that are needed elsewhere. Plus even if we dont lose a city to military foces (which is likely against a never ending wave of enemies. powerful enemies in romes case.) then we will probably have to give one up in a peace deal. So what city are we willing to give up? NONE! so lets avoid that by having an army capable of WINNING a war not just SURVIVING it. The key is to win the war. Not survive it. Not when we are the centerpiece of it.

5. Deego3

Deego3 Prince

Put my votes for the Educated party and the Green Party

6. Lighthearter

Lighthearter President of the United States

Election status:

The CoF has the lead ATM - but who's running for each group? Does Cull wish to seek a second term? Can arya and NukeKnockout figure out who's in charge?

Keep watching Realpolitik Civ to find out!

- Lighthearter

7. MathNerd

See, what you are suggesting is what most politicians do. In the interest of being reelected, they act for the short term so that people get the impression that they are good for the nation, while in fact, they are not. We care for a prosperous England, not just success for 40 turns.

I agree with you in saying that these things are better for England in the short term, but not in the long run. Everything you said is a matter of opportunity cost.

Also, you're contradicting youself:

If we had chosen IW, we would not have been able to trade techs.
    We have a defense.
    We are very close to securing Spain.
    If we had avoided the loss of gold, we would have teched slower.

And I could go on and on like this, listing the drawbacks of the suggestions you made.

About war, let me make a simple analogy. You are trying to break down a brick wall with your bare hands. You are obviously doomed to fail. With GPC's strategy, that is what would happen, with you being Rome.

8. Lighthearter

Lighthearter President of the United States

MN I believe that he was referring to building workers at the new cities instead of letting them grow.

The polls close as usual on Tuesday.

- Lighthearter

9. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

"We stand here today, to show that the Liberal Marxists remain a powerful and influential party. The Cull Administration is on its way out. This, therefore, is now the time to show that we remain powerful. When you go to the polls, remember: Vote for Economic Democracy! Vote for the Freedom of the Working Class! Vote for the Liberal Marxist Party!"

With this speech, mechaerik stepped down from the podium. The Party had made its choice. mechaerik had thrown himself towards the radical wing of the party. mechaerik hoped it would bring the party new strength, but the radicals were being to engulf the party. The last remaining moderates had bolted the party. Although now the party was more united, some were worried about the effect it may have on the allies of the Party.

The positions of the party: We must secure the low countries and use them as a base to liberate the citizens of Germany from Roman rule. We must strengthen Britain to be an example for the world to follow. We cannot allow children of Britain to be enslaved in other countries, so we must enlarge our military.

I vote as follows: One vote for the Liberal Marxist Party, other held in reserve.

10. Nukeknockout

Nukeknockout Rusty Hinge

Arya,you deserve to be president more than I. you've spent more time, you've earned more trust,and I,frankly,would have the unfair advantage of being able to get comprehensive information out of LH face to face.

and I think most of that was silly too. Cottaging every square makes us a financial power,but denies important river squares for farming and waterwheeling. building Workers at the undeveloped cities slows us down too much. and only 2 cities in Spain? are you nuts? that area is way too big.

as for the military,we must go on the offensive. we must be able to stop the pillaging of our lands,and we must take the fight to the enemy. as for your brick wall analogy,that's never worked in history. that,and it's A: political suicide and B:the second the wall is breached,it's game over. Here,our cities,our people,our are "lives" in this game. the more cities we have,the more second chances we have,and the greater the chance that we might not need a second chance. Standing on the defensive is stupid. there's no other word but stupid. and even if you choose to fight defensively,you must make the latest,most powerful specialty weapons designed to take them down. if you're attacked by tanks,you don't defend with the infantry militia you raised! you roll out the specialized Tank Destroyers you built during peacetime. same applies with Praetorians attacking. you roll out the Axemen you built because the Romans are your neighbors. do you hear me?

11. Nukeknockout

Nukeknockout Rusty Hinge

Vote for the Modernizational Party! we proudly endorse our glorious opposition leader,the great Arya,as candidate for president of the republic!! Enough of Pacifism for now,let the republic know balance!!
    our great empire is being hemmed in by Caesar!! would we become his slaves,and bring him his Salad and Wine? of course not!! we must have a military. vote for the Modernizational Party,and we will make room in the budget for a proper military!!

all of this to be verified/approved by the other CoF members

(sorry about double post,will use it instead)

@MathNerd:I admit my experience is skewed by RTS games,but the basic principles still apply.How many cities did you lose in the peace deals? or did you just keep fighting until the end of time?

12. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

You think i could use the fact that i'm now a great prophet as a bargaining chip? Neat. Hope we can use him to get a proper religion. It's all coming together nicely.

Remember everyone that all the coalitions have to be re-affirmed by the leaders of the individual parties. So untill then there are no coalitions. We allready saw how important it can when a party joins or leaves a coalition mid-election so be careful with your votes.

Looks like Ayra is going for the Leader Position, Guess that will be up to all the appropriate leaders of the parties within the CoF when it get's reaffirmed. Is Cull going for re-election as well?

A lot has happened in the last little turn set. I propose re-naming Norwich to Cull-Norwich, just to add a little incentive to protect it from that lone barbarian (is this a part where i can say i told you so?) We can now try out some trades and start to open borders with people as there is less threat of a settler sneaking through. Although the lack of open borders makes littles sense in hindsight... as that was only the plan if we settled east spain first so that no settlers could pass... in fact we went via western spain. *shrug*

I hope we can use our trades to get ourselves Meditation/Polythesim/Monotheism/Priesthood
    Once we have them I (the great prophet!) can bulb us theocracy or code of laws. If we can trade right we may be able to do it next turn. It would have to be decided which one to get, but also we'd have to decide wether to openly support the english religion or go buddist to support the growing buddist block for now. As while we've been expanding Russian has managed to convert the Vikings/Romans/Cathagians.

I assume we'll have the same brief session where we sort out the coalitions then Lighthearter will get us a few more bits of information. Again can we get the tech screen. But now can we also get the diplomacy screen that shows what techs the rival civilizations will trade and want of us?

13. Nukeknockout

Nukeknockout Rusty Hinge

I don't speak for the Modernizational Party,but I don't see why we would leave the coalition. *shrugs* not at this juncture,at least. can we get a ruling on this? whoever Modernizational leader is? who is that guy anyway?

14. arya126

arya126 Squad Leader

I have sent a mail to saneperson asking if he wants to take over the leader position but due to his time constraints i suppose i am leader and will act accordingly until otherwise is stated. I welcome the LMP into the coalition of the future as well as the imperial party. If ilduce evr returns, his cosortium party is always welcome as well. The nationalist party (i believe that si the last one) shall come if it pleases.

Also, if Ravus would honor us in such a way, i would love to have him and all the other monks in our administration when he founds his religion. Hopefully his IM'ing with god will conclude soon, with the beginning of a religion with it.

MN-The brick wall? Hasnt history taught us that you can simply walk around it? Under it? Over it? Countless historic examples show the flaws in that analogy. Also i was refering to how london wasnt mass-producing workers, instead you built them in cities that needed to grow. Tech trading? Have we traded techs yet? Surely we could have got that shortly after IW as we are nearly finished mathematics. That could have been substituted by alphabet had we researched IW before it. There are plenty of spaces in france to be improved, and a cottage or 2 there wouldnt hurt anything. That would provide gold and research. Plus the defense is a skeleton. One halfway decent stack from rome could take ravus, birmingham, and norwich in a matter of turns. A BARBARIAN is threatening spain for the buddha's sake!!! ( I assume you want to convert to buddhism since its the power bloc here. I dont though). And almost securing spain is not the same as a secure one.

Short-term? I think about both long and short term. For a successful country you must think about both. Short-term? The spamming of settlers would be great to grab resources and land and get more production centers. Long term? We need workers to develop what we already have. More cities would destroy our economy. But we can just stop settling. So we need a balance. 2 settlers, then a spam of workers to develop everything sounds good. One city to take the rest of spain. The other to secure the rest of france that is open/begium.

Cull-norwich is a great name. I fully support it.

15. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

Cull-Norwich? Geesh, guys. I'm so honored.

I am NOT going for reelection. Instead, I propose that one of WIM, MathNerd, or Ravus take it. As for the GP, I say keep it until we can bulb something good.

16. resident_uk

resident_uk Warlord

Vote for the Imperial Party. As together we can liberate this world in the name of our lord. Our cities shall be made wealthy and our citizens happy. These Barbarian tribes shall be crushed on our march towards Rome. We shall liberate the world under English rule.

For once the world is under our rule, it shall be made prosperous and its citizens free.

17. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

At least yours sounds allright. Makes me think of something to do with fishing. Ravus-York still sounds like an english biscuit brand to me. Yeah being the leader looses appeal fast (keeping all the blighters happy). We should form a Ex-Leader club to laugh at the next poor sod to end up in the big chair position. :p

And oh no! you're not sneaking me back into the leader position no sir-e-bob! Why you ask? Well.. because.. God says so, yeah i'm talking to him right now and says power corrupts and i shouuld try and have it.

Guess it's down to Mathnerd and WIM

18. ilduce349

ilduce349 (Financial, Philo)

I wish to rejoin the future coalition

I vote for my party, and the modernization party IF I end the election in this coalition

19. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

This is assuming the Stonehenge Monk are still in GPC. I join the Stonehenge Monks, the ex-leader club! Your wish came true.:p

MathNerd, WIM, you guys want it?

20. resident_uk

resident_uk Warlord

If arya is willing, i wish for him to be leader.

Support the Coalition of the Future, as our Country can not be left in the hands of those who wish to destroy our nationality and pride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.