Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

The Further Adventures of The Interim Government
"Aliens Guy says, 'I have a theory as to why the game itself hasn't started up yet...'"

After yet more scouting, we have encountered the City-State of Hong Kong! They are now under our protection!
We have also explored the territory shown below:

Spoiler :

Additionally, while our second Land Ironclad is in Death-Defying Combat (tm) with an encampment of Luddites to the north of Pulias, our first Land Ironclad has been awarded a promotion! In what terrain shall we train it to be most effect?

Given the rough terrain to the west of Pulias, it would seem to be most efficient for them to train to fight in such conditions.

And... are there truly reports of Luddites using stone axes? Hah! Those fools truly are regressive, thinking to live like primitive cave-men in the wilderness. Perhaps the citizens of Hong Kong will be happy to see us wipe out their encampment soon.

The Pulian Interrim government present its orders for turn 9.

Order #1
- Settlers: move two tiles south to the Plains hill next to the mountain and the river.
- Found our third city there and name it Beacon of Beakers.

Order #2
- Give Landship 1 promotion Drill I. Then move it towards the territory of Beacon of Beakers to heal there.
- Scout 1 (by the river) continues exploration to the west.
- Scout 2 (by the Luddite camp) goes east to the river, and then continues exploration to the south/southwest.

The Government would also like to see one of the farmers in Haven of Peace working the Cow tile west of the city if they aren't already doing that. This will provide the food necessary for growth.

Turn 1: 1812 A.D.
Or, Finally The Game Begins!

With the founding of our third city...
Spoiler :

...the Interim Government has served its purpose and is hereby dissolved. As such, all seven seats of the Legislature need to be filled! Remember, there are three open seats in Pulias, and two open each in Haven of Peace and Coventry*. Remember also that you can move without any negative opinion repercussions this turn.

(*Pulias Signs, Ltd., regretfully informs the government that the proposed city name, "Beacon of Beakers", is too long to fit on the "Welcome To..." sign and so a shorter name must be chosen. In the meantime, they have sent a sign saying "Coventry" for no apparent reason.)

Turn 1 Elections are now commencing! Make your nominations, parties!​

POP Information

Haven of Peace
*One group of Farmers want a Pasture constructed on the grazing land to the west of the city.
*The Merchants of the city lean towards supporting the PAU.

Coventry
*The Citizens agree - We're starving out here! Get food, fast!
*All POPs are neutral towards all parties currently.

Pulias
*One group of Miners would like to see the government resolve the current gold deficit the country is experiencing.
*The Jingoist Farmers of the City are currently neutral, but have the highest opinion of the independent CELTICEMPIRE.

Exploration Report: The Reckoning

As our scouts continue to explore, they have encountered another major Civilization - the Dalmace under their leader Clinton Alderdice.

Spoiler :

Embassies have been exchanged, and we now have a dim idea of where these "Dalmacians" live:

Spoiler :

It will be up to the government to decide what further interactions between the two nations should be like.

I have moved to Haven of Peace, and, upon arriving, address a speech to the citizens:

Greetings, good citizens of Haven of Peace! I am Heerlo, former Minister of Science in the Interim Government. I am honored to meet such brave citizens as you, who ventured out into the unknown looking for a new place to call home. I believe this city can live up to its name, and be a Haven of Peace for all the world. The Pulian Advancement Union, of which I am a member, will work to provide this peace. We believe in keeping a strong military that can deal with any aggressors. However, we also know that it is not wise to attack and provoke other nations. Doing so could bring war upon this city just as much as not having a military at all. And that would contradict what this city was meant to be, would it not?

I am aware that you wish to have a pasture constructed to the west of here, and it is the duty of the government of Pulias to listen to the wishes of its citizens. If you re-elect my friend Magnive to the office of Minister of Interior, I know that he will honor your request. And the PAU will do whatever it can to aid all the brave souls who have ventured out into this hostile frontier.

Long live Pulias! And may this city be a beacon of hope and peace to all!

Seeing great potential in the new city of Coventry, I have chosen to move there. Upon settling into the new community, I make a speech to the local inhabitants:

Greetings, people of Coventry! I am Mischa, a savant of Pulias, although I have come here to, like yourselves, establish a new home. I suspect few of you have heard of me, and of those some may have only heard the more scurrilious rumors of "Mad Mischa" and "unethical scientific experimentation", but I assure you, those rumors are baseless and false, spread by those who would seek to impede the greatness of our nation. But such things aside, I have come to you today to offer hope for the future, and perhaps in time your support as we seek to create a great city here.

I understand the hardships you have undergone, simply to reach this site at the foot of Mount Massive, and now to endure the struggles that must be undertaken simply to keep this community growing. Food is certainly in short supply, with only the nearby forest able to supply barely enough to keep the population fed. But just beyond our borders lie forests rich in game, and excellent grazing land for herds of sheep. With your support, I can strive to encourage those back at the capital open their coffers and purchase the supplies we need to work these rich lands, and help Coventry thrive. And thrive, I say, Coventry shall!

We are starting small, much as we lie at the foot of Mount Massive, but the future lies ahead of us, full of wondrous potential. Shall we scale the great mountain of the future, people of Coventry, and find what wonders lie beyond? Together, we can build a bastion of science and progress here, defending the great nation of Pulias from the threats of both the primitivist Luddites that have already threatened your lives, as well as whatever the other nations of the world may chose to throw at us. We stand here, at the forefront of the nation of Pulias, and at the dawn of a new scientific age. Will you help me forge the future, people of Pulias?

I will be moving to Coventry and making the following speech

Spoiler :
Hello citizens of Coventry! I have no doubt in my mind that petty politics is the last thing on your minds right now so I shall keep this very brief.
It is no grand secret that you people here are starving. However I have come here with the intents to get this city moving! Now, as the prior Minister of Culture I have overheard conversations that Magnive, the prior Minister of Interior, and Gurra09 the prior Prime Minister, had about the founding of this city. From what I had heard Magnive ordered the founding of this city with the sole intention of producing scientific discoveries, with no concern for the people of the city, as is crystal clear by the current situation. Now if a member of the Pulian Advancement Union is elected here, they will most certainly focus on establishing state productive buildings and establishments, like engines or stock exchanges or maybe factories, and order you people to work the hills. But if you people are willing to elect me as a member of the Legislature, I promise you that the 3P and I will focus on the people, I will build Water Mills, Hospitals, urge expansion to food-rich sectors, and will work to create a stable prospering society here in Coventry. Now God bless and good luck to all you brave frontiersmen but I must be off.

OOC: Is it possible for me to make a statement in Coventy, without moving there? There are certain things I'd like to say there.

On behalf of the Pulias People's Party I announce our candidates:

I, Gurra09, will run for legislature in Haven of Peace.
Silverman6083 will run for legislature in Coventry.

(I hope this is how it works because the rules are a liiittle hard to understand in some places. Is it correct that one person can run for one legislature seat in the one city where they live? If it is, these are the PPP's final nominations.)

Also, I am holding a speech in Haven of Peace, early in the morning in the farming areas right outside town.

Farmers! Comrades! Good morning, and thank you for coming. Seeing you here ready to work the fields reminds me of my childhood. I grew up on a small farm near our capital where my parents worked the fields just like you do every day, and they worked hard to feed not only our family but our people. There is great honor in your job, and the nation of People should be forever grateful for the work you do. You keep us alive and we will never forget that.

A growing population needs a growing food production, and as a citizen of Haven of Peace I know the need for constructing a pasture to achieve that. Heerlo and the Pulian Advancement Union may say they hear your wishes, but they are not one of us. They may say that the government should serve the people but their agenda in the end serves only the merchants and the upper class, not you - the workers and the majority of the population, who do the work necessary to keep Pulias alive.

The Pulias People's Party, on the other hand, believe in the 3 Ps: Peace, Productivity and the People of Pulias. The government should represent all of us and the PPP and I promise to be your voice in the Legislature. Vote for me to represent this city and I will work hard to make your voices heard, as hard as you work to feed our nation. Let us build this pasture and make Haven of Peace a city worth its name! Because without the security of life, there can be no peace.

Workers of Pulias, unite!

(I hope this is how it works because the rules are a liiittle hard to understand in some places. Is it correct that one person can run for one legislature seat in the one city where they live? If it is, these are the PPP's final nominations.)

The rules I made up? Hard to follow? What tipped you off?
Yes, that's how nominations work.

OOC: Is it possible for me to make a statement in Coventy, without moving there? There are certain things I'd like to say there.

If you so desire, yes; it will be slightly less effective, though.

NEP
Sir Parker II shall be running for legislature in Coventry, and moving to Coventry as well.

Speech:
Look at us. Hiding behind our walls, fearing every day that we must leave the city into the wilderness of our nation. Fellow Pulians, the NEP wishes not only to make the nation of Pulias the largest, most prosperous in the world, it wants it's people to be safe, happy, and taken care of. For us here in Coventry, this begins with a proper supply of food. So, the NEP are strong supporters of building a hospital to get the city into positive food reserves. Not only will it allow our people to be healthy and our city to grow, but it will allow us to work more productive tiles to build a better army to defend ourselves, or even go on the offensive. So, Coventry, do you wish travel far from our safe haven of a city just to barely survive off of scraps? Or stay here, build infrastructure, and truly become the city you deserve to be?

OOC:
Awful lot of people interested in Coventry.

Making a speech in Pulias.

Spoiler :
I find it ironic that the Pulias People's Party seems to believe that I intend to serve only the upper class, as my true goal is to allow as many as possible to become part of it, which means doing my very best to elevate every citizen of Pulias to that level of wealth.

But I will not bother engaging in petty name-calling like the Pulias People's Party seems to have decided is the best way to get elected. Instead, I will tell you what I have done, and what I intend to do.

Some of you may have heard tales of Silverman's speech in Coventy, in which he accused me of caring for naught but scientific advancements, even at the expense of the people. These accusations, I am willing to answer.

I know for a fact that Silverman did not 'overhear' these conversations - rather, he was a full participant of these, and could have raised any and all points he wished to. Likewise, he seems to forget that I stated that if it was within the mandate of the interim government, the very first building to be constructed would be a Water Mill, rather than a Factory or an Observatory. How, then, can he claim that I care only for science and production?

Either of those would increase scientific advancement in the short term, but what I care about is the long-term, and in that, the city would benefit from growing as large as possible, as a large population will only serve to provide even more ingenuity for our nation!

With that said, I will return to what I intend to do for this city!

I have heard that some desire a Camp to be constructed on the grazing land of the Deer nearby. As the Minister of Interior, I was the one in charge of Worker assignments, and I can assure you that even before this first election, I had given orders for such a Camp to be constructed. In fact, it rated only below other Resources close to our cities, such as Coal and Luxury resources.

Speaking of Luxury resources, I intend to initiate trade with the newfound nation of Dalmacia. If at all possible, I will seek to obtain gold from them in return, to resolve the current gold deficit, but failing that, I intend to trade it for other valuable goods that would improve the lives of the average Pulian.

With regards to construction, I fully believe in my previous decisions to construct a hospital and a factory, as both would greatly benefit our glorious city. After that, however, I believe that attempting to construct the World Wonder Pentagon as soon as possible would be a great aid to our nation. While I have no wishes to wage wars upon other inhabitants of the world, I remind you of an ancient Latin proverb -
Si vis pacem, para bellum. It means 'if you want peace, prepare for war." Our world has undergone great changes, and in this new world, people will doubtlessly attempt to take advantage of any weakness in our nation.

Therefore, I propose that we construct this wonder, so that we may in the future upgrade our troops at reduced costs, thus allowing us to field greater armies. Armies which will doubtlessly be needed to protect our nation.

However, we still lack the necessary advancements for that. As such, I believe that we should construct an additional Land Ironclad. After all, we have only combat-capable units for three cities, which leaves one of them vulnerable to attacks by enemies such as the Luddites. And while I have full faith in our citizens abilities to defend their home city, I would hate to see the nearby lands pillaged by hostile forces.

Making another speech in Haven of Peace.

It seems that the 3P believe that just because me and Magnive are Economists by class, that we are only interested in the merchants and upper class. I say that to be simply not true. My political ideology, along with the PAU as a whole, is to represent all the people of Pulias and see to it that their opinions are voiced in the government. The claim by our former Prime Minister that we serve only the upper class is a baseless statement. Our party has only recently been formed, and the 3P has yet to see what our intentions are. They are merely jumping to conclusions. If you are to notice, you did not hear me or Magnive telling anyone what the 3P intends to do "in the end", because we do not believe in stating the intentions of other parties when we have no way of knowing what their agendas really are.

The PAU will do what I have already told you in my first speech here. We will use our influence to get a pasture constructed here, which, I may note, was not requested by the upper class. And we will continue to see to it that all the opinions of the good citizens of Pulias are voiced in the government, from miners and farmers to merchants and scientists.

I realized that I forgot to set a date for the elections to commence. They will begin tomorrow, December 1st.

On behalf of the Pulian Advancement Union, I hereby announce our candidates for the legislature:

I, Magnive will run in Pulias
Heerlo will run in Haven of Peace

Yet another speech in Haven of Peace:

Greetings again, fellow citizens of Pulias! As you have heard, I will be running for the legislature here in Haven of Peace. I want to let you all know that you will have my full support for what you would like done here in our great city, should you elect me as your representative. As I have already said, the first priority of the PAU is getting a pasture constructed, as you have requested. After this is done, I will endeavor to have our new workers fulfill your requests for improving the land around this city. I know that some of you would like us to begin mining the coal in the area, and that some of you would also like to have a windmill constructed here. Whenever these orders are proposed by the Minister of Interior-whoever that may be-you will have my vote to carry them out.

Together, we will make Haven of Peace into the city it ought to be. A city shaped by you, all of you, the good people of Pulias!

I'm very sorry but because of some private matters that I'm not going to bother you with, I have to drop out of this. As much as I'd like to stay, I won't have the time to play politics right now.

Before I leave my last action will be to endorse PPP candidate Silverman6083. As the former Interim Prime Minister I believe he will give the citizens of Pulias the future they want. May peace be upon you all!

I might lurk around to see how this goes, but have fun and good luck in the elections. Put in a vote for Aliens Guy from me. ;)

Holding a speech in Coventy.

Spoiler :
Although I am not running in this great city, I have decided that not defending myself against Silverman's accusations would be unwise, as I believe that the way he presents them is very much alarming - namely, he twists and turns the truth for his own benefit.

You see, all Ministers of the Interim Governments were privy to every discussion, and we put together an overall plan before actions were undertaken. As such, Silverman did not 'overhear' anything, he was fully informed of the intentions behind the settling, and could have spoken against any course of action several times, yet he never said a word on the subject.

In fact, Gurra, Silverman's former party leader, was the one who initially raised the subject of settling our third city near a mountain. However, before he did this, Gurra expressed a desire to have our third city settled north of there to have a coastal city, in order to reach the oil that was in the water - in spite of the fact that the surrounding land was mostly tundra.

I would have none of that. You, our brave settlers, should not be sent to a sub-par location, simply because there was a strategic resource nearby. While I take responsibility for your current lack of food, I promise that I will do my utmost to prevent it from doing any lasting harm, and as such I hope to cooperate with upstanding individuals such as Sir Parker and Bouncymischa to ensure that this great city receives plenty of food.

As such, I urge you to vote for those two as your candidates, rather than a man such as Silverman, who has showed that he is not above taking the truth and twisting it to fit his motives best, and even outright lying if it serves his motives!

Speechy Time(in Coventry):
Spoiler :

It has come to my attention that Magnive has realized he is losing and has resorted to demonizing me. Now he Magnive is a fellow revolutionary so I will not stand here and tell you that he is some terrible human being, because he is not. But I will grant you that I disagree with the accusations he has made, and with what he has said.
I firmly believe that no-one but the Prime Minister has any right to tell other Cabinet Members what they should do. Obviously Magnive disagrees with this idea, for in the brief period where I acted as Minister of Culture, he tried on numerous occasions to push Communism to be an earlier policy enacted, this he tried to force upon me multiple times. However if he really considered it that essential would he have not run of that office? Indeed that is why I chose to give him my input, besides you can all see what he thinks of me, so it is not as if my opinion would have made a difference to your unfortunate situation. Besides if he actually cared about your starvation, don't you think he would be staying here permanently, and not just showing up because the polls says he should? Do any of you truly think that after your problem has been dealt with, that the PAU will have any interest in this city? I certainly don't, but I believe that they shall move on to where the loudest people are. But anyhow God bless and vote for the 3P, vote for your people.

Puzzling that Silverman says that nobody but the Prime Minister should tell other Cabinet Members, considering that Gurra, too, advised him to adopt Communism over Planned Economy. I'm not sure if it was my arguments that swayed our former Prime Minister, or his own considerations on the matter, but the fact is that Silverman's own Prime Minister and party leader, who he himself says have a right to tell another Cabinet Member what to do, advised him to change his mind, yet he refused.

As to my opinion of Silverman, I was quite neutral, if a bit expasarated with him until the elections began. I made my arguments, and then backed off when he made it clear that he would not listen to them, as I respected his decision as a fellow Minister.

However, that changed when he effectively accuse me of not caring one bit for the brave people of Coventy, by speculating on what I might do, and present it as a certainty, even when I already said that the first building to be built here should be a Water Mill, if it was up to me, a fact he was made aware of as a member of the Interim Government. I had full respect for the fact that the alliance between PAU and 3P was merely a temporary one, and I was quite ready to part on friendly terms. That changed when Silverman and Gurra in their speeches chose to denounce the Pulian Advancement Union, rather than focus on what they themselves intended to do.

Top Bottom