Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

Okay, so we have some final results in! Those busy counters in Haven of Peace have finished their city's vote count first, which I'm sure will be a point of pride for them.

Right, so some news that's, frankly, unexpected, and some news that isn't: Mister Melda has been returned to the Senate with forty-seven percent of the vote, only suffering a three percentage point swing against him from the 1822 election. Mister Melda can be very pleased with his win tonight.

However, Mister Heerlo and Miss Megame . . . I've never seen this before, but they're essentially tied. The vote difference between them is so close that the Electoral Commission is treating it as though the two candidates are tied. What happens now? I'm not sure what happens now. Does the Electoral Commissioner flip a coin, or — no? Okay, this has never happened in Pulian electoral history, but I'm receiving advice from the Pulian Electoral Commission that they—yes? Yes, the votes are so close that the Electoral Act will automatically trigger a run-off election. So the Electoral Commission is going to hold a special run-off election between the final two serious candidates to determine who will win the second seat for the city. Exciting stuff!

I'll show you the full figures in a moment, but both Mister Heerlo and Miss Megame are effectively tied on around 26.5 percent of the vote. How that compares for Mister Heerlo, is that it shows that Miss Megame has eaten into his vote share, producing a swing against him as compared to last election of almost seven percentage points. Miss Megame will surely be pleased with her efforts this evening. If her sex counted against her, it surely doesn't show from those numbers; she's almost unseated a veteran of the Pulian political stage in her first run at public office! I would image Mister Heerlo and the PAU will be looking at these numbers very carefully tomorrow morning.

And, surprising no-one, the Fascist Party candidate and "The Aliens Guy" both received a negligible number of votes.

Well, it looks as though we can look forward to the first ever run-off election to be held at some date to be determined by the Electoral Commission.

| Pulian general election, 1832; Haven of Peace |100% counted|||
| Party | Candidate | Votes | % | Swing (%) ██ |Pulias People's Party|The Honourable William Melda|8 (elected)|47|-3
██ |Pulian Advancement Union|The Honourable Heerlo|4.5 (run-off)|26.5|-6.8
██ |Independent|Sofia Megame|4.5 (run-off)|26.5|+26.5
██|Pulian Fascist Party|Roderick Spode|0|0|±0
██ |Independent Aliens Are Real Party|George Bassingham|0|0|±0

OOC: What will the run-off be like? Everybody votes, but only for one of the two candidates?

Ah, for anyone who might be interested, the Electoral Commission have completed the vote count for Pulias City. Not much analysis to be made here; there were three candidates and three seats, so no surprises. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if plans briefly floated during the Third Senate for electoral reform come back to haunt the Fourth Senate, what with a candidate earning less than fifteen percent of the vote winning a seat while candidates in other cities struggle to hold on with far more votes. But that's for the new Senate to sort out, whenever they are sworn in.

Anyway, the full results:

| Pulian general election, 1832; Pulias City |100% counted|||
| Party | Candidate | Votes | % | Swing (%) ██ |Pulias People's Party|Aurora Gurra|10 (elected)|47.6|+25.4
██ |Pulian Advancement Union|The Honourable Ernest Barnard|8 (elected)|38.1|-2.1
██ |The Mossback Party|Dot Eitus|3 (elected)|14.3|+14.3

OOC: Might I suggest that unless Dot shows up, we simply give one of them the third seat in the capital?

OOC: Let's wait a bit for Dot, he might just be away a bit. In any case, like in the last senate, if a candidate leaves, the default is to have an NPC replace him. "Game wise", it's not fair for us since we have enough people to replace it, but politically it makes sense not to have another person from another party replace the one that leaves.

And I'm receiving news we have the final vote count from Coventry now.

One moment.

And I'm shocked, absolutely shocked.

On thirty-seven percent of the vote the top ranked candidate is the Pulias People's Party's Mister Huggins. That seems inconceivable, given his appalling polling part-way through the campaign. Can we recheck those— already done? Okay, apparently these results have been scrutinised and recounted because they're so unexpected. But I can confirm that Mister Huggins has won, which means that the Pulias People's Party will win a plurality in the election, returning three Senators to the Fourth Senate.

I cannot believe it, I am lost for words. How there can be such a drastic difference between the in-campaign opinion polling and the final ballot, I don't know. I'm sure there will be an investigation because the result is just so queer, but nevertheless: congratulations to Mister Huggins, and congratulations to the Pulias People's Party. Your pro-Luddite message must have somehow found its way to the voters that counted. I have no idea how.

And, wow, this is certainly an evening of surprises. I can report that all three remaining candidates are almost tied with around twenty-one percent of the vote each! I can't believe it, the threshold between the votes are so close that under Pulian electoral law they're regarded as ties. This is unprecedented! Effectively a three-way tie! So what now? We're going to have two run-off elections? Truly remarkable. Really extraordinary stuff.

Here are the results:

| Pulian general election, 1832; Coventry |100% counted|||
| Party | Candidate | Votes | % | Swing (%) ██ |Pulias People's Party|Percy Huggins|9 (elected)|37.6|+37.6
██ |Pulian Imperial Party|Henry Absoluti|5 (run-off)|20.8|-50.6
██ |Pulian Imperial Party|Albert Bazil|5 (run-off)|20.8|-50.6
██ |Independent|David Richterson|5 (run-off)|20.8|+20.8

So, in the coming days I imagine the Electoral Commission will announce the dates and rules surrounding the first ever run-off elections — two of them, no less.

What will the Fourth Senate look like? Your guess is as good as mine at this stage, but it seems like no matter what it will be dominated by the Pulias People's Party, whether they form government or not. Their sympathetic, pro-Luddite focus seems to have gained them, rather than lost them votes. Much copy will be written trying to analyse this result and work out just how they managed it, but congratulations are nevertheless in order for Miss Gurra and her party: they will either form a strong government, or the strongest Opposition we've ever seen.

Here is the overall breakdown of votes for parties:

| Pulian general election, 1832 (first round)|||||
|Enrolled voters|32 (+4)|10 players|±0|22 POPs|+4
|Votes cast|62|-6|Turnout|70%|-10
| Summary of votes by party ||||
| Party | Votes | % | Swing (%) | Seats | Change ██ |Pulias People's Party|27|43.6|+18.6|3|+1
██ |Pulian Advancement Union|12.5|20.2|-21.7*/-15.8**|1***|-2*/-1**
██ |Pulian Imperial Party|10|16.1|-17|0***|-2
██ |Independents|9.5|15.3|+15.3*/+9.4**|0***|±0*/-1**
██ |The Mossback Party|3|4.8|New|1|New
| Total | ? |||5***|-2

Please note: In the 1822 general election an independent candidate won in Coventry, however according to the Pulian Electoral Commission most voters thought the individual they voted for was a Pulian Advancement Union candidate, therefore in the below information there are two listings: * indicates for that count the independent candidate in 1822 was considered to be in the Pulian Advancement Union, ** indicates for that count he was considered to be an independent.

*** indicates that this number is subject to change through a run-off election yet to be held.

At the moment we only have five of the seven Senate seats filled, and the Senators-elect for those are:

| Senators-elect of the Fourth Senate |
| Party | Candidate |
██ |Pulias People's Party (party president)|Aurora Gurra|
██ |Pulias People's Party (party secretary)|Percy Huggins|
██ |Pulias People's Party|The Honourable William Melda|
██ |Pulian Advancement Union (party leader)|The Honourable Ernest Barnard|
██ |The Mossback Party (party leader)|Dot Eitus|

Who will win those final two spots in the Senate?

Fighting for the one remaining seat in Haven of Peace: will it be the former Prime Minister Mister Heerlo of the PAU or the independent Miss Megame in Haven of Peace?

And Coventry, with a three-cornered contest for the single remaining seat: will we see two PIP Senators returned? Or only one along with the independent Mister Richterson?

Clearly there are exciting days ahead. But I myself am looking forward to seeing just what the candidates can offer up to convince the voters to send them to the next Senate!

We're into uncharted waters now, boys and girls. We've never had a run-off election before in thirty-two years of political history.

I have no idea how it will operate and will defer entirely to the advice of the Pulian Electoral Commission ((cpm :p)).

I must congratulate Miss Megame on bringing this to a tie. Best of luck to you!

ANNOUNCEMENTS OF THE PULIAN ELECTORAL COMMISSION​

The Pulian Election Commission makes the following announcements regarding the frankly surprising results of the 1832 election:​

In the Capital, Pulias City​

* Aurora Gurra, The Hon. Ernest Bernard, and Dot Eitus are declared victorious and will take the three Legislative Seats in the new Senate.

In the City of Haven of Peace​

* The Hon. William Melda is declared victorious and will take the first Legislative Seat in the new Senate.

* The Hon. Heerlo and Sophie Megame are declared to be tied, and a runoff is automatically triggered.

* George Bassingham is declared mental, but also a highly amusing meme to break out from time to time.

In the City of Coventry

* Percy Huggins is declared victorious and will take the first Legislative Seat in the new Senate

* Henry Absoluti, Albert Bazil, and David Richardson are declared tied, and a runoff is automatically triggered.

Run-Off Procedure

Under law, a runoff means that for the next three days (72 hours) (OOC: until the morning of Saturday, July 18, CDT) campaigns in the cities still in question may be conducted. After the expiration of this time, which may be shortened if all candidates agree to it, a 48-hour Election will take place (OOC: running until the morning of Monday, July 20, CDT). During this time, each eligible voter (OOC: Each POP and each player residing in the city, but not those outside of the city) may cast one vote and one vote only for the candidate of their choice.

In the event that a tie still results, the Election Commission will get upset and leave, forcing all elected members of the Legislature, with the assistance of the new monarch* to settle the matter.

*New Monarch:

Spoiler :

OOC: dot80 has until these runoffs are done to claim his seat in the senate. If he doesn't show up, I'm inclined to break precedent and do what Magnive suggested; that is, to appoint one of the other candidates in his stead (we have a lot of active players who would probably do better than another anthropomorphic kitchen appliance and/or William Howard White.) However, that could perhaps be something that could be brought up before an 'incomplete' five- or six-seat Legislature or even some sort of in-game plebiscite.

Does the new Majah of Pulias have a name by any chance? I'm asking for a... thing I'm working on.

A crowd gathers as the former Prime Minister Heerlo gives a speech in Haven of Peace one evening.

Spoiler :
Greetings, good citizens of Haven of Peace!

Firstly, I wish to apologize for not campaigning at all during the general election. I've had many family and personal problems in the last few months, which really left me with no time to focus on campaigning.

However, I still care as much for this city and for this nation as I ever have. I am here once more to listen to your needs and desires and to see to it that Haven of Peace is the city you all want it to be.

One of the things this city needs, and I'm sure you all want, is a hospital. We have alot of sickness in our nation, and here in Haven of Peace we do not have the medical facilities adequate to deal with this situation. That is why, if elected, I will make my first priority of construction here a hospital, so that all of our citizens will have better healthcare to deal with these problems.

After dealing with these immediate health problems I will endeavor to improve our nation's economy. As I'm sure you all know, we currently have a deficit on our hands. However, I am confident this situation can be remedied fairly quickly.

First off, Pulias needs to begin exporting our spare resources. We must open up trade with our neighbors, as doing so will not only strengthen our economy but will also improve our relations with other countries.

Second, I say after we finish the hospital, let us focus our attention on building a grand mansion here in Haven of Peace. Doing so will help to turn our city into a tourist attraction, and will bring money into the city government, while at the same time improving our national economy. This, combined with the completion of the national railway project, should have our economy going strong in the years to come.

But enough of merely declaring my intents and plans. I would now like to hear from you, the good citizens of Haven of Peace, as to what you would like to see done in the next government. I have dedicated this evening to hearing your questions and requests. And you have my word, that if you return me to the Senate for you once more, I will see to the best interests of Haven of Peace. I will not forget your requests.

The aging Heerlo spent the rest of the evening listening to the concerns of the people of the city which he so loved. He could only hope that they would once again allow him to represent them.

Not at all related to the elections: The Pulian Bureau of Demographics has in collaboration with the Pulian Institute of Vexillology and Heraldry published the Europa Factbook 1832 with information on European nations. Below is an excerpt with basic information on the five major nations.

Note that this was printed before the coronation of the new Majah, hence the absence of a Pulian monarch. Also, since the Fourth Senate isn't in operation yet Heerlo is listed as the Prime Minister of Pulias.

((OOC comment: This info is mostly taken from the in-game demographics in the latest save, except for a few flavour details made up by me. Those are mostly based on the nations' respective real world counterparts. I used whoward69's mod Enhanced Demographics to get hold of detailed demographics for all nations.))

Spoiler :
Republic of Dalmace
République de Dalmace

Capital: Dalmace
Official languages: French
Government: Presidential republic
- President: Clinton Alderdice
Area: 400,000 sq. km (2nd)
Population: 1,340,000 (2nd)
GNP: 53 million gold (5th)
Manufactured goods: 40 million tons (4th)

Eruch Confederation
Alldeutscher Bund Eruch

Capital: Eruch
Official languages: German
Government: Parliamentary republic
- Chancellor: Cyrus Rotheram
Area: 400,000 sq. km (2nd)
Population: 791,000 (5th)
GNP: 82 million gold (1st)
Manufactured goods: 63 million tons (2nd)

Orlin
Орлин

Capital: Orlin
Official languages: Russian
Government: Presidential republic
- President: Ignace Curnow
Area: 380,000 sq. km (3rd)
Population: 1,275,000 (3rd)
GNP: 60 million gold (3rd)
Manufactured goods: 54 million tons (3rd)

Pulian Realm

No flag.

Capital: Pulias City
Official languages: English
Government: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
- Monarch: Regency*
- Prime Minister: Heerlo

Area: 410,000 sq. km (1st)
Population: 930,000 (4th)
GNP: 64 million gold (2nd)
Manufactured goods: 103 million tons (1st)

*The Pulian Realm currently has no crowned Majah.

United Kingdom of Vedria
Förenade konungariket Vedria
Vedrian yhdistynyt kuningaskunta

Capital: Vedria
Official languages: Swedish, Finnish
Government: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
- Monarch: Karl XIV Johan
- Prime Minister: Luther Griggs

Area: 360,000 sq. km (4th)
Population: 1,597,000 (1st)
GNP: 59 million gold (4th)
Manufactured goods: 38 million tons (5th)

Holy crap, we have so much production!
Also: Remember in my interview I said that I would work best with the PPP? Remember that, Percy Huggins. Remember that.

Top Bottom