Reasons why Civ5 is the way it is

gdi2290

Chieftain
This is a list of points so that I wont post a long story explaining in a way making it simple and well... to the point

games need money to make
realistic games take a lot more money for production
games like Gran Turismo series need money to make their overly realistic driving game
Their solution, release a sample game when they run out of money
example Gran Turismo Prologue not the full game but a sample that fans will buy for support
if you hear a few of the developers in Civ5 their budget seem to be hitting them hard
could this be the reason for missing elements in the game?
no movies? the intro is very good looking, but really the only movie in the game
after playing hours in a game it is rewarding to show a movie at the end and same goes for a wonder but that all cost money
same goes for the map editor and other features
even demos cost money because you have to develop two games a small game(demo) and the real one
point is, the game is still good even though it is missing a few things here that you don't really need but we become accustom to by previous civ games so they at least gave us the core game by release date
and they did say everything will be patched of course because they love the modding community and they actually listen
what they could have done is delay the game a year or so like some developers
example Vavle
they delay all their games but doing so they fix everything they miss and everything they learned while making the game
so why didn't they delay Civ5?
money perhaps?
any other ideas?

main point: their are two sides to an argument we seem to be flaming the developers about how they messed up here and there without looking at their side.

Edit: let me set things straight. I love Civ5 its a great game. I'm just trying to get everyone to look at their side of things and how they had to set priorities while making this game. I am not attacking the game in fact I love Civ5 more than Civ4 and there is no way i can go back. This game is great and all these features will come in a few patches, but only if we could wait for them by helping with the problems rather than flaming. I only made a list form because i wanted to post this idea fast so i can play Civ5 but now i seem to have mislead everyone with this post

Civ is the way t is because it is not a remake of civ4. And if ti was a remake of Civ4 there would be a lot more slating going on.

Sid has been bold and taken the series to the next level.

I guess they wanted a cool wargame. Civ 5 is one. But it's not "civilization". It's about making an army and trashing the stupid AI. Can't play online due to hamachi not working and steam being awful, so I can't say how is it when you play a human opponent. But most likely the same.

I just played it for 12 hours straight... my video card was starting to overheat so I had to quit =(

I guess they wanted a cool wargame. Civ 5 is one. But it's not "civilization". It's about making an army and trashing the stupid AI. Can't play online due to hamachi not working and steam being awful, so I can't say how is it when you play a human opponent. But most likely the same.

because death stacks weren't stupid, right?

well playing a human opponent is unbearable because of all the problems with playing online at the moment people d/c a lot and lag etc
and the game kinda makes you start wars and kill people but last i checked in history that was the way to go back in those days kill or be killed
you had to take over land to build an empire or sit back and watch someone else do it just play the one city challenge then you will see how city states feel when everyone seems to be surrounding you with huge empires
which leaves other ways of victory is the late game so its pretty realistic

mattavich: They were. So was culture bombing and other aspect of the game. However, pursuing other victory conditions was actually easier and more rewarding. Right now might makes right. Cities fall fast with superior techs and you can't be a peaceful diplomat when two catapults WILL rape your cities one after another. Defense is too weak, you need an army of your own, and a big one. And if you have the army, why not to attack, seeing the AI is ******ed..?

Gran Turismo was not realistic at all, just over hyped marketware which you pay mainly for popular corporate name brands like Toyota and Chevy but the simulation was arcade at it's best. Top Gear Rally 2 for N64 was far more realistic and enjoyable.

Erm.. you complain that Civ lacks movies? Thats probably the least important thing in this series. It's only a delay before the gameplay starts. And at the end, you get that nice graph of world history that you can look at while lighting up a fat one and basking in the glory of your world-conquering genius :D

And you didn't keep it simple, I didn't get it xD
Are you saying they should be selling us slimmed down, demo/beta-versions of the game in order for them to have a bigger budget for development and thus having more features in the complete one? Not a very consumer or PR-friendly strategy that..

You're post is missing a lot more paragraphs and assorted punctuation than Civ5 is missing features...but thanks for the information. I'm enjoying the game a lot: this wasn't some cynical ploy to extract money from customers for a product they knew was unfinished. It's not perfect: most vanilla game releases aren't.
I just played it for 12 hours straight... my video card was starting to overheat so I had to quit =(
I've been playing most of the day too: Askia's unique ability is awesome (3x gold from encampments $). I haven't checked my video card...hope it's ok :lol:
Just checked it now: 71 degrees celsius, with activity at 98%, so it's working hard but nowhere near melting :D
Erm.. you complain that Civ lacks movies? Thats probably the least important thing in this series. It's only a delay before the gameplay starts. And at the end, you get that nice graph of world history that you can look at while lighting up a fat one and basking in the glory of your world-conquering genius :D
I mean, who watches the wonder videos more than a couple of times, then either disables them or skips them? They're beautiful to look at, but I'm sure they took a lot of time to create. I'm glad they put that effort into other things: it certainly shows in the UI, which is much better looking than CivIV's (which was more functional than anything).

Damn, if you wanted a civ4 remake why not just play civ4.

I didn't want to play a Civ IV remake. I wanted to play a Civ game that had the cool new 1upt combat system but still had the economic, diplomatic etc. depth of previous Civ games, but I suppose we can't have both things at once.

Gran Turismo was not realistic at all, just over hyped marketware which you pay mainly for popular corporate name brands like Toyota and Chevy but the simulation was arcade at it's best. Top Gear Rally 2 for N64 was far more realistic and enjoyable.

that wasn't the point at all and at least post about the topic

I didn't want to play a Civ IV remake. I wanted to play a Civ game that had the cool new 1upt combat system but still had the economic, diplomatic etc. depth of previous Civ games, but I suppose we can't have both things at once.

You must be playing civ1

You're post is missing a lot more paragraphs and assorted punctuation than Civ5 is missing features...but thanks for the information. I'm enjoying the game a lot: this wasn't some cynical ploy to extract money from customers for a product they knew was unfinished. It's not perfect: most vanilla game releases aren't.

suppose to be a list of points or w/e

And you didn't keep it simple, I didn't get it xD
Are you saying they should be selling us slimmed down, demo/beta-versions of the game in order for them to have a bigger budget for development and thus having more features in the complete one? Not a very consumer or PR-friendly strategy that..

no I'm saying the i care about the movies but its merely a gimmick much like 3D movies its nice and it does help but its not really needed
I'm saying demos cost money games cost money if they were running out of money they couldn't delay it they had to release what they had which is the core game then have money from those sells to make the real game via patches

suppose to be a list of points or w/e

no I'm saying the i care about the movies but its merely a gimmick much like 3D movies its nice and it does help but its not really needed
I'm saying demos cost money games cost money if they were running out of money they couldn't delay it they had to release what they had which is the core game then have money from those sells to make the real game via patches

Still not getting it. Try punctuation, it's a good thing ;)

Top Bottom