Reasons why there is no civ atmosphere

Knightly_

Warlord
Hi there,
i played about 50 hours of civilization 5 and neither i have the "just one more turn" habit nor do i feel a true civ atmosphere. I want to point out why i think this is the case. This should not be about new game elements like social policies, 1 UPT, happiness system and the AI behavior. It is more about the feeling when you play the game. I want to list positive and (you can image this are more) negative aspects. The latter are the reason why i dont have so much fun when playing the game. Dont get me wrong i like the game and most of its new features but there are so many small things which make me sad. I am playing on a two year old computer with more or less low to medium graphic settings.

positive aspects that create a good "feeling":

-The beginning of a new game is awesome. You get some nice info about the leader you are playing with. This creates some identification with him. You feel like you know who you are playing and this is cool.

-The look of the cities from the main map is great when it comes to the different continent styles. Especially in the modern era this creates a huge identification with your empire. Last game was with Siam and i absolutely loved how my modern cities look like. The outspreading when population increases is also cool and gives you the feeling that you have a real metropolis.

-The pictures when you build wonders are sweet. I always thought the videos are kind of senseless and this "converted from photo into graphic" looks cool.

-I like the icons above military units. They are simple and you almost know immediately what kind of unit there is. Good Job!

-Farms look great. Especially the fact that multiple farms are connected give you the feeling of farmland which most modern civilizations in the world have plenty of.

negative aspects that somewhat kill the civ game atmosphere for me:

-Music and appearance of the main screen does not create a civ feeling in any way. In Civilization 4 this was perfect. The world as background and baba yetu as music instantly created a "Wow... i need to build an empire out of nothing and rule the world" feeling for me. Of course its hard to beat but honestly the music (especially the first minute) is like out of a horror movie (im sure there is a music that is almost identical in the "The Ring" movie) and the picture is like "Um great walls everywhere... its dark... im boxed in... feels ugly... i need to get out of this menu". This is where i directly come to my next point:

-The entire UI feels hostile for me. I have read that Firaxis removed the black color for the unknown area and replaced it with clouds because its does not look that hostile. Great! But why make the rest look hostile then. Maybe this is hard to judge because i dont know how it would look otherwise but this black background color everywhere... Worst thing is the tech tree... i always immediately wanna get out of there.

-Probably i am lone with this but i dont like how enemy leaders are presented when you talk to them. First of all let them speak in their native language seems cool in the first place but i must say that i actually like it only for Bismarck and Eliz because these are the two leaders i can understand. Anyway sometimes you can hear their feelings about you when they talk (like desperation) which is cool. Second thing is the background theme. Its a nice idea but the problem i have with it is that it does not fit to the time. I met Bismarck 1500 BC and he says hello in his red office which was build thousands of years later. This just seems wrong to me. Its the same the other way round. Talking to Monty with his tribal village while being in modern times just does not fit.

-Tradings posts look ugly... they look ugly in every era and make the entire map look bad. I cranked up graphics to the maximum to see if its due to my settings but its not. In modern times i have a size 20 super awesome looking capital and next to it some small quadratic buildings. This does not look like a modern civilization. Civ 4 look was the perfect solution to this. Kind of smaller cities which grow in time. I mean it doesnt nessecarily need to give you more benefit in time but it would just look so more natural when trading posts would be replaced with small towns.

-I dont like the game music. While i have to admit that there are cool tracks the biggest problem is that it does not fit to the time like in civ4. This supresses the feeling that your empire goes through different eras. Continental style music is ok but i would definately create it in a way that it fits to the time.

-Almost no information about the enemy. While this is maybe a conception of the game it is definitely bad for game experience. You have a mighty empire to lead and you want to know where you stand comparing to your enemies. I want to know at least which techs the others have to have a small idea of where i stand. The lonely demographics screen is just not enough.

-There is no satisfaction when you win a game because there is no game development history. I talked about this one in another thread... this point makes me really angry.

-As the effect of wonders has been decreased they dont feel like epic buildings anymore. They are very expensive but their effect is often only a little bit more than a normal building. This does not create a feeling that your civ did build an epic, unique true wonder of the world.

There are some more minor things i dont want to explain but just mention them
-apples as a symbol for food
-city just feel like tools and not part of your empire (again hostile UI, no identification with your citites)
-for me the map resource symbols look too comic like. While its ok for the techtree and buildigns/units the resource icons should look more real like the map tries to.

If i would have to sum it up to one point i would say that you dont have the feeling that you lead an empire that goes through eras and advances forward like in older civ games. What to you think about my points ?

Greetings Knightly_

A big detriment to the atmosphere of the game is the "play to win" attitude of the AI civs. I prefer to see AI civs as NPC characters that shape the storyline rather than as algorithms.

I agree with all. The playstation looking interface leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My biggest issue is with City States. It was hyped as the greatest and newest but its flopped. The game content bores me. I could handle a bad AI if there was good content, but theres not. I am also not feeling the 'Just one more turn'.

CIV5 team need to give player jdog5000 a phone call to implement some real features like revolutions.

A big detriment to the atmosphere of the game is the "play to win" attitude of the AI civs. I prefer to see AI civs as NPC characters that shape the storyline rather than as algorithms.

I was going alone perfectly fine with my neighbor Hiatawhasomething. He always was happy to see me, we shared open borders and even a few ressources. He had his land, I had mine, our borders weren't even in contact, this was the early game.

Then i made the mistake to push my units a little too far in exploration, leaving my territory not enough protected.

He was almost sorry to declare war on me, saying that he couldn't ignore such a chance to take away a potential concurent.

Just for that kind of thing, it's gonna be hard to go back to Civ IV, where like you said, IA is just there, doing what you expect it to do.

Agree with most of what you wright. With some exceptions if we're talking about pure estethics.

- The introduction to your leader. The text gives you something to rest your eyes at, sure, but its awfully generic. Some even mention God or Gods but yet there is no religion in the game. :confused:

- The man who does the voice acting really sounds old. And I dont mean that wise-old-sage, kind of old, I mean; 114 years old-about-to-be-burried kind of old. Nemoy was ace!

- The fact that the leaders speak their native tongue was offputting from the start. Realistic? Yes, but Civ really isnt founded on a realistic base now is it. I want to understand my friends and enemies speech in order to enjoy meeting them.

- The overall apperances of the different leaders is nice. I dont mind the ahistorical setting with Monty 2000AD in his chamber of fire or Bismark 2000BC with his office. Imagen Monty in a suit and at an office desk, *chills*, no that would prolly get more complaints. It gives an overall idea of what the nation is.

- The music is horrible, sorry to whoever made it, but I've turned it off. Where is the emotion? There are simple spreadcheats on how to captive emotions through music, mainstream, but I dont care. I would rather listen to Katy Perry then some obscure elitist jazz/folk/polka hybrid music just cos its "artsy and unique".

Some even mention God or Gods but yet there is no religion in the game.

The fact that religion is (mostly) implicit and doesn't have big game effects doesn't mean everyone in Civ V is atheist or secular.

I agree with some of your points. Especially in terms of Music and main menu you are right. Im not a programmer, but I think it's not too difficult to change this.

A big point is indeed the "play to win" attitude. Once I was 2nd stronges Civ after Russia which just killed every one and attacked all citystates. The other Nations seemed to act with there secret pacts (sry dont know real english word) more against Russia. But when Catherina declared war on me, even my best friends said things like: "This will be the only chance to beat you. Im sorry" or "I have to take this chance to get a bit of the cake".
That behavior destroys the realistic feeling somehow.

The clouds, I think are better than black color, and I like the way the landscape looks, especially the different forests and mountains in different climate zones. A good computer is in Civ V important, to enjoy the game.
I also have no problems with the Interface. The new military system is for the moment reason enough to stay with Civ V. But I'll wait till a patch improves the AI.

The fact that religion is (mostly) implicit and doesn't have big game effects doesn't mean everyone in Civ V is atheist or secular.

Clearly thats not the case. There are religios buildings aswell and a social policy called Piety.

The point is that I get this feeling religion wasnt implemented in order to "teach" the youth that you dont wage war in the name of religion as you did quite often in Civ4. Being an atheist myself, I enjoy the historic implemention of religion and the feeling of playing the Crusader.

I dont need to be schooled that killing people in the name of religion is bad, everyone with an IQ over 75 understands this, so why wasnt religion put in the game?

Storyline? in Civ?? I cannot imagine ever playing any of the civ games in this manner, or being able to. Does it take a lot of imagination? Is the game played to where no one should win?

I agree with most of what you said... I do like the Wonder videos though (although its not very high on the list for me).

City States to me kill a great deal of this game for me. The entire rollout of these things dominates the entire world.

1upt I dont really care for either. I feel there are much better ways to turf the stacks of doom

I think you would have to establish that there is no atmosphere before you say there is no atmosphere as if it is a fact.

The first thing I noticed was how it felt so epic.

So I don't have the same opinion. Maybe I should create a thread "Civ 5 atmosphere is so epic!"

This was explained. They kept the civ4 AI leaders dumb on purpose, to make them feel like historic persons. But this also made them super-predictable, if you had their religion for example they'd hardly ever battle you. You could manipulate them very easily, a fact even aggravated by the exact numbers you could see.

Let's give the new system a chance!

negative aspects that somewhat kill the civ game atmosphere for me:

-Music and appearance of the main screen does not create a civ feeling in any way. In Civilization 4 this was perfect. The world as background and baba yetu as music instantly created a "Wow... i need to build an empire out of nothing and rule the world" feeling for me. Of course its hard to beat but honestly the music (especially the first minute) is like out of a horror movie (im sure there is a music that is almost identical in the "The Ring" movie) and the picture is like "Um great walls everywhere... its dark... im boxed in... feels ugly... i need to get out of this menu". This is where i directly come to my next point:

I do not have the in-game music on when playing. Instead, what I have been doing for Civ5, is listening to the soundtrack on my iPod while playing. I couldn't stand the Civ4 soundtrack and listened to something else instead. I think one can find the right atmospheric music while playing civ.

-The entire UI feels hostile for me. I have read that Firaxis removed the black color for the unknown area and replaced it with clouds because its does not look that hostile. Great! But why make the rest look hostile then. Maybe this is hard to judge because i dont know how it would look otherwise but this black background color everywhere... Worst thing is the tech tree... i always immediately wanna get out of there.

I've gone back and forth between clouds and blackness for the unknown area. Not sure which I prefer. As far as dark backgrounds, I think it works because it is consistent. I prefer not to have light letters on dark, though. I am hoping that in a patch, they will bring back the minimized interface so we are left with the valuable information but not the wasted black spaces and needless decorative borders.

-Probably i am lone with this but i dont like how enemy leaders are presented when you talk to them. First of all let them speak in their native language seems cool in the first place but i must say that i actually like it only for Bismarck and Eliz because these are the two leaders i can understand. Anyway sometimes you can hear their feelings about you when they talk (like desperation) which is cool. Second thing is the background theme. Its a nice idea but the problem i have with it is that it does not fit to the time. I met Bismarck 1500 BC and he says hello in his red office which was build thousands of years later. This just seems wrong to me. Its the same the other way round. Talking to Monty with his tribal village while being in modern times just does not fit.

I don't have their speech on either, I see no reason to do so since you read better than you can understand. But the leader heads, animated or not, have always been in civ since Civ2. They just keep improving it. Besides, it just a means to an end since the trade or whatever is the only important thing.

-Tradings posts look ugly... they look ugly in every era and make the entire map look bad. I cranked up graphics to the maximum to see if its due to my settings but its not. In modern times i have a size 20 super awesome looking capital and next to it some small quadratic buildings. This does not look like a modern civilization. Civ 4 look was the perfect solution to this. Kind of smaller cities which grow in time. I mean it doesnt nessecarily need to give you more benefit in time but it would just look so more natural when trading posts would be replaced with small towns.

Trading posts look ugly? I suppose but if they were nicer looking, they still would perform the same way. But I guess there are or will be mods to change this. Personally, I thought the Towns in Civ4 were horrible looking - no continuity and a just standalone entities on a square. No sense of a metropolis. In Civ5, I would want to look for a mod that chances the city itself - the worse graphics in the game, imo.

-I dont like the game music. While i have to admit that there are cool tracks the biggest problem is that it does not fit to the time like in civ4. This supresses the feeling that your empire goes through different eras. Continental style music is ok but i would definately create it in a way that it fits to the time.

See above.

-Almost no information about the enemy. While this is maybe a conception of the game it is definitely bad for game experience. You have a mighty empire to lead and you want to know where you stand comparing to your enemies. I want to know at least which techs the others have to have a small idea of where i stand. The lonely demographics screen is just not enough.

Then that would make an easy game even easier.

-There is no satisfaction when you win a game because there is no game development history. I talked about this one in another thread... this point makes me really angry.

Agree but in Civ4, it was worth going through once, just like any of the other animations.

-As the effect of wonders has been decreased they dont feel like epic buildings anymore. They are very expensive but their effect is often only a little bit more than a normal building. This does not create a feeling that your civ did build an epic, unique true wonder of the world.

Some wonders are great and powerful, esp. the early ones. After that, not much reason to build wonders.

There are some more minor things i dont want to explain but just mention them
-apples as a symbol for food
-city just feel like tools and not part of your empire (again hostile UI, no identification with your citites)
-for me the map resource symbols look too comic like. While its ok for the techtree and buildigns/units the resource icons should look more real like the map tries to.

Ok, we've had a wheat stalk, whatever we had in Civ3, some weird symbol in Civ4 and an apple for Civ5. What would you suggest?

Cities are very important to the empire - the sum of the parts is equal to or greater than the whole. A civilization is not made up of individual cities but an empire that includes cities, resources, military campaigns, city states and relationships to other civs.

You can't have redundant symbols for resources. I like how they are more artistic than Civ4 (and before) and much easier to identify. However, I don't like the non-artistic symbols for units. They put that on there because testers had a hard time identifying units since they are much smaller than any previous Civ games. Even using single-unit graphics still have that cartoon symbol. I really like the unit art symbol in the build queue, though.

If i would have to sum it up to one point i would say that you dont have the feeling that you lead an empire that goes through eras and advances forward like in older civ games. What to you think about my points ?

There are problems with the game in making it feel like the test of time. In Civ4, you had to work at victories. In Civ5, you have to restrict yourself in not taking advantage of the weak AI if you want to keep playing. But overall, I would say that the points you listed have very little to do with actually improving the gameplay (AI military and diplomacy, as well as exploits and bugs). In other words, music, icons, leaderheads, sounds, UI, wonder movies, unit and building graphics have nothing to do with gameplay.

I think you would have to establish that there is no atmosphere before you say there is no atmosphere as if it is a fact.

The first thing I noticed was how it felt so epic.

So I don't have the same opinion. Maybe I should create a thread "Civ 5 atmosphere is so epic!"

haha agree. i definitely have the 'ONE MORE TURN' syndrome. :)

Agreed. One of the most interesting things in Civ4 early game was meeting other leaders. Their personalities and relations to each others really affected on strategy. Now when it's a pure "kill or be killed" -game and anyone can declare anytime, I don't care much about the civs I meet and their mostly invisible relations with each other. This makes the early game much less interesting.

One of the most interesting things in Civ4 early game was meeting other leaders. Their personalities and relations to each others really affected on strategy.

I know some have said this before but I have found this to be puzzling. In the many Civ4 games that I have played, I have never seen this to be the case. All I had ever wanted was a challenging AI to play against at the level I am comfortable playing at. That certainly wasn't the case in Civ4 and even worse than Civ5. If they HAVE to have personalities, make them all hard to beat.

I know some have said this before but I have found this to be puzzling. In the many Civ4 games that I have played, I have never seen this to be the case. All I had ever wanted was a challenging AI to play against at the level I am comfortable playing at. That certainly wasn't the case in Civ4 and even worse than Civ5. If they HAVE to have personalities, make them all hard to beat.

Well (and I hope this all doesn't sound elitist), this often depended on a level you were playing. In lower levels, it was perfectly fine to just annihilate all others without paying any attention to relations. I suspect the reason some people say that diplo in Civ4 was meaningless and just annoying was that they were playing in lower levels and just steamrolling civ after civ. From that point of a view, Civ4 diplomacy was probably just annoying and meaningless.

However in Immortal+, it was an essential element of the game.

I actually like the Art Deco style of the main menu.

Gives me an Andrew Ryan feeling ^_^.

However in Immortal+, it was an essential element of the game.

:lol:

Essential element? Or the most exploitable aspect of Civ 4 AI?

On Immortal+, the game was about using exploits to get the AI to make bad deals with you because of the huge cash and tech bonuses the AI got. Also, diplomacy at that level didn't add to the 'atmosphere' of the game in any way. It was simply about how much you could bamboozle the AI for on any given turn.

Music is bad??? I love the music, it's the biggest atmosphere creator in this game! Well... I guess different tastes and all...

Don't see the point of the thread... keep bumping into them (should stop opening them, damn it).

Top Bottom