Reassigning the leader traits - a proposal

The Cosmic Kid

Warlord
Well, what started as a minor quibble with a few of Firaxis' trait choices has turned into a full-blown Excel spreadsheet, a design for a modest modpack. Since I apparently cannot attach Excel files, I have helpfully - albeit hideously - reproduced the sheet here.

Code:
[U]	SPI		PRO		PHI		ORG		IND		IMP		FIN		EXP		DEC		CRE		CHA		SFA		
AGG	[I]Basil II[/I]	[I]Cetshwayo[/I]	Alexander	Shaka				Genghis Khan	Montezuma	Mehmed		Tokugawa			Boudica		Erik Bloodaxe	
SFR	Isabella			Pericles	Justinian	[I]Meiji[/I]				[I]Dido[/I]		Joao		Elizabeth	[i]De Witt[/i]		[I]Canute[/I]		
CHA	[I]Crazy Horse[/I]	[i]Jan Sobieski[/i]	Lincoln		[I]Hiawatha[/I]	De Gaulle	[I]Pachacuti[/I]	Hannibal	Washington	[I]Tamerlane[/I]			
CRE	[I]Deganawida[/I]	Gilgamesh	[I]H. al-Rashid[/I]	Hammurabi	Peter		Charlemagne	[I]Philip II[/I]	Hatshepsut	Louis XIV	
DEC	Zara Yaqob	Churchill	Kublai Khan	Bismarck	Stalin		Julius Caesar	Wang Kon	Mao Zedong	
EXP	Asoka		Vercingetorix	Pacal		[I]Casimir III[/I]	Suryavarman	Cyrus		Huayna Capac	
FIN	Mansa Musa			Willem		Darius		Victoria	Suleiman	
IMP			[I]Sargon[/I]		Catherine	Napoleon	Augustus	
IND	Ramesses	Qin Shi Huang			Roosevelt	
ORG			[I]Menelik II[/I]	Frederick	
PHI	Gandhi		Sitting Bull	
PRO	Saladin		[/u]

A few notes:
  • Italicized names are proposals for new leaders (and, if necessary, civilizations). Two new leaders - Vercingetorix and Erik Bloodaxe - are not italicized, because they're simply Brennus and Ragnar renamed.
  • DEC is "Decisive". Preliminary design: +2 espionage per city; +50% Spy production; -50% war weariness; double production for Intelligence Agency, Security Bureau.
  • SFR is "Seafaring". Preliminary design: Free Navigation I promotion for naval units; +1 food, commerce, and hammer from fishing boats; double production for Lighthouse, Harbor.
  • I'll probably work over the existing traits a bit, too. No solid plans yet, except that I want to give Spiritual an ability that makes some sense and move the no-anarchy thing over to Organized, since that's where all the lawgivers, reformers, and modernizers seem to have gathered. Also, I really like what ripple01 is doing in CivFusion.
  • I tried to spread the traits out among diverse civilizations as much as possible. This is why Victoria isn't Sfr/Imp, for instance.

Now, I'm not terribly familiar with the qualities of some of these leaders, and as you can see there are still a few holes that ideally should be filled. So before I dived into the actual XML, I wanted to open this up for discussion. All suggestions and advice are welcome: move leaders, add leaders, call me crazy for putting leaders where they are, or all of the above.

I think that Victoria would be better as Seafaring than Elizabeth.

I think that Victoria would be better as Seafaring than Elizabeth.
Really? Why? Elizabeth reigned during the first English colonization of the New World and the defeat of the Spanish Armada. There are some choices I made that I'm not sure about, but Elizabeth isn't one of them. If anyone is a Seafaring leader, she is.

You do realize some of those leaderheads are not made by Firaxis, and therefore they are not Firaxis' trait choices?
I think you'll find that the non-Firaxis names are italicized in the table, and that the explanation for the italicization is in the notes below.

Seeing as how most of the Spanish losses were from storms rather than the English, I wouldn't count the destruction of the Armada as something that could make her seafaring. That leaves the colonization aspect, but I think the Victorian Age would probably be better.

Top Bottom