1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebalance of 2/3 of all civs in April!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by goatdeer, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Ticio

Ticio Prince

I just discovered today a Netflix's show/documentary called "the lost pirate kingdom" and thought about the thread.
    Maybe it would be a good idea (the changes for the Seadogs we are proposing, I mean) as this kind of show could make players want to play more piratish! Who knows!

P.S: The show is offensively bad; I really do not recommend it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Deadly Dog likes this.
  2. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Here's a brief article about it. The interesting thing is that they have direct quotes from Anton! Looks like it's indeed going to be a huge patch! I take back what I said earlier about the impact of this patch being overhyped.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-balance-april-2021-patch

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

I've been wondering where the 2/3 number came from. It could just a guess and a way of saying a lot of civs are changing, it could they had done a review and decided 2/3 need it, it could be that at the 2/3 mark in releasing civs is where the power of new civs started growing.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  4. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

I would not count in the number being exactly accurate. For me, 2/3 could be as well just a way to say: more than half, and less than 3/4.

5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

My excitement to see the changes coming in April has really eclipsed my excitement for this week’s pack!

Don’t get me wrong, Portugal looks like a lot of fun, but I’m really eager to see how they shake up the older civs.

6. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

For Canada, let them plant woods earlier (like Vietnam), maybe just in tundra, and let them add deer to tundra tiles in cities that haven’t harvested a resource or feature in the previous 20 turns. Would give them a nice production boost, synergize with their NP abilities in terms of resource management, and could really power the camp pantheon.

7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

Now, what can be a "biggest community update event ever" ?

8. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

This is great news, I'm glad they're swinging for the fences on this one. They can always dial individual changes back if they have negative consequences.

I'm wondering the same thing. It's a very strange way to say "balance patch." It could mean nothing more than what we're currently expecting (just inartfully phrased) or it could be an indication that this patch will be "not just a balance patch." Most curious! :think:

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

I mean, now I'm really curious, the biggest community update event ever ?

Are they setting a big server for a massive video-chat with the community, where everyone as to grim into a zombie-barbarian or a vampire-leader or a...

Ho, wait, here it is, finally the solution to all those fans complaining about immortal leaders breaking their immersion, take the leader skin, use the zombie assets, and voilà, can't wait to see the patch notes

10. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I wonder if the words "community" and "event" are being used precisely and with self-awareness by Anton, or if it's just the words that occurred to him at the time.

I think Eagle Pursuit also quoted Kevin saying there was a surprise in April, but I can't find it.

konokoni, Zegangani and bbbt like this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Well if there aren't balloons and a punch bowl I want my money back

AntSou and Bosque like this.
  12. Zegangani

Zegangani Prince

I think there is more into it than just the 2/3 update of Civs/Leaders. I mean, the fact that they call it "community update event" could mean It's mostly for the Loyal CivFanatics (The average Player doesn't care much for Balance/Bug Fixes). We could get many things, including QoL changes (Like better UI), little enhancements to some Mechanisms/Elements of the Game (World Congress), Free Modes of new Mechanisms that the Community anticipated for Years... or, what also would be nice, Popular Mods implemented into the Game.

Nontheless, I'm keeping my Hopes low. I'm only expecting some balance changes to various things and maybe a Free Mode that every Civ Fan would love (Like the Barbarian Clans Mode, maybe Ideologies or Colonisation - even if it's of the same quality/standard as C&M or Barbarians Mode).

13. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Yeah, I'm not necessarily reading a lot into the word choice, as it was said by a developer during an interview, not say a marketing press release.

Having said that, irrc the did an actual open public beta of the final big BNW Civ 5 patch, so maybe they are thinking something along those lines again? That seems unlikely though, I don't think they'd announce a patch for april and then just kick off a beta of it then.

8housesofelixir, pokiehl and AntSou like this.
  14. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

I think "just the words that occurred to him" is by far the most likely scenario, if for no other reason than I don't want to get caught up in an unsubstantiated hype cycle. Even if it's JUST a big balance patch (that aspect alone is pretty clearly confirmed at this point) I'll be a very happy camper. Anything else on top of that (DLL, big AI improvements, extra game mechanics / civs / units / UI, etc.) would be gravy to me.

Honest question: if there is a surprise, is the most likely option another yearly pass? We've all been speculating rampantly about it (with no conclusive proof either way). Seems to me that the April balance patch would be the perfect time to announce it, IF it's on its way.

Wellfooled and AntSou like this.
  15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

maybe the big surprise is a pizza party

Wielki Hegemon and konokoni like this.
  16. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I'm hoping the surprise is the announcement of a second pass.

Xandinho and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  17. EarendilTheMariner

EarendilTheMariner Chieftain

Still waiting to see what that Catapult from the update video was referring to. I hope it's at least the Trebuchet, and maybe even some more units to fill in the gaps. Where are Napoleonic era riflemen?

18. Lokreah

Lokreah Chieftain

Now watch, the April patch is a bunch of balance changes on top of an actual and final expansion..

19. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

(from the article)

If the Season Pass model worked so well, maybe they'll think about it for the future... Who knows?

And I'm glad they did it this way. I much prefer a big overhaul of lots of civs rather than one civ here and one civ there...

20. Ticio

Ticio Prince

I agree, and also, this way they can make all the changes with all the new modes and changes in mind. This way, they will not make a change before any mode and to discover after that the changes were not compatible with the next mode (so to speak).