Rebase aircraft

JesusOnEez

Emperor
I was playing my first proper run through on G&K on Warlords just to learn some of the mechanics. Stomped my way through the game at this level but one thing cropped up that annoyed me.

I had built bombers in a few cities and used them to take down city defence in nearby civilizations so my infantry could do the grunt work. I had made it to another continent and taken a city (I had both annexed and puppets).

I wanted to rebase by aircraft and found that no matter which way I tried (rebasing to puppets or annexed cities, clicking the button then clicking the city did nothing.

I'm at a loss to explain way...can someone tell me how the rebasing works? I even started wondering if I need to build and airport or something, but couldn't figure it out!

Were the cities you're trying to rebase to within range? Remember the early aircraft (great war bombers, triplanes) have a very short range compared to the others later in the game. You normally need to do a few 'hops' to closer cities to reposition your aircraft - if the city's in range for rebasing, it'll have an orange border around it.

EDIT - if you're moving to another continent, you might need to use carriers to move them across the sea.

The distance of rebasing is based on the range of the aircraft you are trying to rebase. A fighter with range 6 can rebase to a city 12 hexes away. A Bomber with range 8 can rebase 16 hexes away.

I was playing my first proper run through on G&K on Warlords just to learn some of the mechanics. Stomped my way through the game at this level but one thing cropped up that annoyed me.

I had built bombers in a few cities and used them to take down city defence in nearby civilizations so my infantry could do the grunt work. I had made it to another continent and taken a city (I had both annexed and puppets).

I wanted to rebase by aircraft and found that no matter which way I tried (rebasing to puppets or annexed cities, clicking the button then clicking the city did nothing.

I'm at a loss to explain way...can someone tell me how the rebasing works? I even started wondering if I need to build and airport or something, but couldn't figure it out!

Yeah it's not like CIV where you can rebase across the planet. See posts above.

Also, you CANNOT rebase your fighters/bombers/sb's in another civs city. Even if you have a declaration of friendship (an agreement that is the closest this game comes to a formal alliance). You can't even gift fighters/bombers/sb's to another civ for this reason, except maybe by putting them on a carrier and gifting that.

Valid targets for rebasing get a little orange circle around them when you have rebase selected

If you have water on your map, using a carrier to get somewhere to rebase that's far away could be an option for you.

Now, if only workers can establish air bases. In late games, I tend to conduct wars of nation-building (rather than conquest) on Huge map/Marathon games. It sounds silly, but I lose interest in taking cities in late game. If anything, I emulate America today in doing so. :D

To conduct these wars with air cover, I have to resort to using carriers. Even then, the fight may go deep inland into a continent such that my army is beyond the range of the coast.

Now, if only workers can establish air bases. In late games, I tend to conduct wars of nation-building (rather than conquest) on Huge map/Marathon games. It sounds silly, but I lose interest in taking cities in late game. If anything, I emulate America today in doing so. :D

To conduct these wars with air cover, I have to resort to using carriers. Even then, the fight may go deep inland into a continent such that my army is beyond the range of the coast.

+1 airbases would be great

+1 airbases would be great

It would be nice if citadels could be used as airbases, although the chances of a citadel being placed beyond the range of the nearest city is remote. Still, I guess you could claim a patch of land near a remote city you're about to raze...

Thanks all for the information. The map was a standard sized Terra (produced from a Shuffle selection). I started in "Europe", conquered that, then sent a navy over to "North America" to take on The Huns. They were dominant over there (land area, not tech). I wanted his lands first as they were production heavy and I wanted to be able to build back-up units on the same continent. Most of my airforce was at home...it didn't even occur to me to build a carrier!

Still, I built a few bombers in Atilla's captured cities that helped, but the distances were great and I couldn't figure out the rebasing (thanks for all your help on this, will be handy in the next game).

I still stomped him with Artillery and Infantry so it was no biggy, just took a bit longer than it would have done had I of figured it out!

It only a Warlord practice game anyway, but still, it's good to learn the ins and outs.

Top Bottom