1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

******** Rebels...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Krieger66, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Krieger66

Krieger66 Lord of all things necro

The rebellion aspect is a little over the top don't you think? I had 2 uber stacks of units, 1 era ahead of me, pop-up next to my city. I somehow beat them next turn, AND now I have 2 units from anywhere in the vicinity of the city join the rebels(the city is happy). This has gone on now for 5 turns, and is hardly realistic when you consider it is ONE city.

If rebellions are going to stay this extreme, then I reccomend adding "decimations" and crucifictions to the roman arsenal. That should neuter the rebels a bit.

2. HallBregg

HallBregg Chieftain

Well It last 10 turns and it happens when you refuse a flip when a new civ spawns. Its a mechanic implemented so new civs are not crush at the start.

3. Krieger66

Well, mission accomplished, there have been 2 civs completely destroyed so far by a 1city rebellion(carthage and egypt). And frankly its realistic for rebels to be crushed by government forces, while its not to have huge defections akin to giving the rebels a god-mode. In the history of Rome I only remember seeing one defection of a legion, and that was led by Vercingeterix(Boudica's rebellion did not include any romans, and that was by the entire nation of Britain, whose people were treated with extreme brutality and unfairness prior to their rebellion).

4. HallBregg

HallBregg Chieftain

Actually it seems like what you are descriving is not flips on spawn but simply cities declaring independece, and taking any troops stationed on it. This happens when stability drops below -20 and usually is a preamble to full colapse. In my experience tho, Cartage usually dies to barbs, and egipt stays arround untill they get conquered by arabs/ethiopians.

5. Krieger66

No, they left to join France. Carthage getting killed by barbs seems weird to me though...

6. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

Carthage always gets killed by barbarians.

Whilst most rebellions failed, these are the most major civilizations in history, and if they are under foreign dominion, they of course need to be able to succeed and get off the ground so that they can play their role in history.

If you really wish to keep your European territories, wait 10 turns after the nation spawns, then reconquer them; simple as that.

As for your Roman example of no rebellions - the Western Roman Empire wasn't around when the French and Spaniards came about (AFAIK, I'm probably wrong), and only the Eastern Romans are supposed to really be alive past that period in time (600 AD).

7. Krieger66

There were always french peoples(the franks for instance) and they never became a developed nation at the time solely due to roman influence. If Rome hadn't collapsed from barbarian invasion(due in part to poor treatment by romans, and the extreme excesses of her people) it can be argued many european countries would have never emerged.

I mean a city settled with your own nation's people wanting to join a new nation solely due to proximity is rediculous; that would be like Chihuahua(an area in mexico, not the small dog) joining the state of Texas after it claimed sovereignty. The problem with that is I have swordsmen where they have longbowmen whom I would probably have a 50% chance at best of beating outside a city, and a 3% inside...catapults also do little good. And up until this I'm the most advanced nation...:cry:

8. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

Well, the game is supposed to go based off of history, so the major nations in the world will come about, regardless of whether or not they could if the situation in the game was different from the situation in real life - and it's not cities flipping because of proximity, it's more of a cultural or warfare sort've thing, that doesn't get included in the scenario.

I hope that made sense.

9. Krieger66

I think I'm seeing what your saying...is that why I got a stack of units when I met the aztecs? I mean thats supposed to simulate Cortez and his conquistadores invasion of America, right? Also does this apply to techs too, because germany got access to cannons suspiciously early on...when most other civs(me included) are using catapults.

As you can guess I'm not too happy about this because he jumped me after I attacked the dutch.

10. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

Yeah, that's the conquistador event. The first civ to contact the Aztecs, Maya, and Inca get a stack of troops.

Germany just techs VERY well because they have great cottage land.

11. Tlönitte

Tlönitte Chieftain

And they build research like anything

12. zbelg

zbelg Chieftain

Yes, except for Germany, just remember that in RFC you get cannons with Gunpowder, so it's not that big of a leap. But the Germans do tend to emphasize on cannons from what I've seen.

Remember that this is Rhye's and FALL, the Roman Empire is supposed to fracture off into the European nations to simulate history, just like how the Aztecs are supposed to be trampled by whatever opportunistic old world civilization meets them first. There's still room for prevention, as it should be, you just have to be prepared for these events. If you're playing as the Romans and want to keep your empire, you just need to plan ahead on how you're going to fight the upstarts.

13. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

No, they get killed by Romans.

14. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

Get either Civil Service for Macemen or Guilds for Knights. Also get Engineering for Trebuchets; they're way better than catapults. Proceed to roflpwn.

Alternatively, you could go into the XML files and make legions super-duper godly :D