Rebuilding Trust?

Narz

keeping it real
Most of the problems people complain about these days seem related to people's lack of trust, both in authority and in each other.

Any recommended solutions to this issue?

Don't break peoples trust in the first place. Be consistent in your motive so that people don't have to second guess.

Most of the problems people complain about these days seem related to people's lack of trust, both in authority and in each other.
Citation needed :p

We need to get some trustworthy people into authority. How to do that is a big question.

Give people a reason to trust you and they will. Break their trust and reap the consequences you sowed. People lament not being trusted while behaving in a way that breaks trust. The solution is introspection and becoming a better person. Then they can worry about rebuilding trust.

Give people a reason to trust you and they will. Break their trust and reap the consequences you sowed. People lament not being trusted while behaving in a way that breaks trust. The solution is introspection and becoming a better person. Then they can worry about rebuilding trust.

Dunno, Boris Johnsons career seems to be based on breaking trust repeatedly and being rewarded for it.

Politicians and trust do not fit easily together.

Power and trust, more accurately?

A few don't do entirely badly.

In the U.S. half the country seems to follow a political party that's determined to prove that the government just doesn't work. Whenever they get in power they do their very best at screwing everything up, so that when the other party takes over they can point to the mess they've created and say: "See, we told you, government doesn't work duh"

How do you change this? I don't know, maybe if the U.S. had a regular news network and not news entertainment designed to lie to people and over-exaggerate every single news report so they get more views and/or clicks? Is that ever going to happen? I doubt it.

Invest in education.. Invest in inner city schools, ensure that Americans have access to secondary education no matter what their socioeconomic status. Invest in a better educated electorate, and they will be.. more intelligent in the future. But this sort of thing is generational - you can't expect to see results next Tuesday or even next year.

Me, I don't trust anyone in authority, including Canadian politicians. I grew up under an occupying communist regime though, so that's basically how I was brought up - to question authority figures. Here in Canada we have career politicians who do not dare plan for the future as well, so it's easy to get disillusioned in them. We are doing much better than the U.S. in terms of our political system, but it's still not really anything worth celebrating.

If you really want to get people to trust each other and trust the government more, you have got to go after all the places that spread lies. Social media, news entertainment, and all that jazz. Is it going to happen? Probably not.

Me, I don't trust anyone in authority, including Canadian politicians. I grew up under an occupying communist regime though, so that's basically how I was brought up - to question authority figures. Here in Canada we have career politicians who do not dare plan for the future as well, so it's easy to get disillusioned in them. We are doing much better than the U.S. in terms of our political system, but it's still not really anything worth celebrating.
In Canada, we're taught that no politician is ever 100% honest. There are always skeletons somewhere. Somewhere, the politician you would think would never do anything wrong, will at some point.

We've just had the preliminary results from yesterday's municipal elections that included some extra questions piggybacked by the provincial government.

I have no opinions about who won the Mayoralty, other than being happy that at least one other person did not (and he had a lot of gall running in the first place).

I voted for exactly one person for council, and am happy that he was not only elected, but that he came in first. I'm very displeased at the one who sneaked in last place, as he once represented Red Deer at another level of government (provincial), and he is an anti-vaxxer.

School board... The person I most wanted to get in, did. Barely.

Senate... it's irrelevant to me who "won" since it's a sham vote anyway. It's not binding at all, as senators are not elected, and the Prime Minister is not obligated in any way whatsoever to appoint the "winners."

The preliminary results indicate that most Albertans don't understand how transfer payments work, and they don't understand that the little bit of "extra daylight" they'd get in the winter due to permanent DST wouldn't actually mean getting to spend an extra hour playing golf or baseball because it's usually at least -20C at that hour.

My MLA seems averse to updating her FB now, and prefers Twitter rants and sending me emails I never signed up for.

Oh, and her sister-in-law got elected to the Catholic board of education here. I guess she'll have one fan of that <censored> curriculum.

Revolution? :shifty:

Then wait some 10 years or so for the dust to settle. Better make that 20.

Really, it's past the point of no return by now. Go off and be a hermit somewhere far away if you want to avoid all the fun in the meanwhile I guess?

Revolution? :shifty:

Then wait some 10 years or so for the dust to settle. Better make that 20.

Really, it's past the point of no return by now. Go off and be a hermit somewhere far away if you want to avoid all the fun in the meanwhile I guess?

Nothing says trust like open murder.

Nothing says trust like open murder.

As opposed to the current shoddily hidden murder?

Between police stealing and murdering "legally", pharma corporations addicting and murdering tens or hundred of thousands of people, voluntary wars (that's murdering other people abroad), and how many millions made homeless or imprisoned and dying an early death... trust is gone. And the way things are keeps it gone.

It's not yet as bad in Europe but plenty of people keen on copying you.The homelessness, the wars, the deliberate importantion of a poor underclass where there was none available, to kickstart it... it's a whole program.

Top Bottom