Reclaim Land from Coast (Terraform)

Jaso162

Chieftain
Ever since builders began I wished they could move onto a "coast" tile (not ocean) and turn it into plains, called something like "Reclaim land". I thought it might come about in the industrial era after the research of "civil engineering". This would allow cities built on small islands to add land for airports and other districts and allow other cool in-game abilities to block small waterways, etc. It might have to use up 3 or more builds to keep some kind of game balance? Is there any chance you could create this mod? I really hope you can. It would be awesome and I would be so greatful!

That's a cool idea, but I'm not sure if Civ VI allows water to become land mid-game.

But if you could turn water into land, then I have a few follow-up questions:
  1. Does the surrounding ocean become coast? Or does Civ VI allow ocean adjacent to land?
  2. If you shrink a body of water to the size of a fresh lake, does the water become fresh?
  3. Should AI opponents "get annoyed" if you mess with water near their borders?
  4. How would the AI handle this ability? Someone would need to implement that.
  5. Does the appeal of the tile and its adjacent tiles change?
  6. Which continent does the new land belong to?
  7. What happens to adjacent natural wonders?
  8. What happens to adjacent cliffs?
  9. What happens to adjacent rivers?
  10. How might this affect trade routes?
  11. Can the terrain become something else, like grassland or tundra?
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? As far as balance is concerned, I could imagine "reclaim land" as a possible Great Engineer ability with enough techs acquired.

Nice! Great list of considerations!
Engineers could terraform in Civ4 (I think it was Civ4), turning hills into plains, plains into grassland, and even plains/grassland into hills. That was when I originally got the idea - why can't they reclaim land from the sea?

My thoughts on your excellent questions would be:
1) Can only reclaim coast and adjoining ocean would remain ocean - so you can't just end up reclaiming an entire ocean! (Though your Great Engineer idea also prevents this)
2) I didn't think of that but I do like the idea. Harbours have been blocked and turned into fresh water dams in RL, so that would make sense.
3) I think this would apply only to the extent that one of the AI agendas is currently - Environmentalist and Naturalist.
4) No idea.
5) I would imagine the Appeal of the new tile would be Average or Uninviting. I don't think it should be Disgusting because the aim of reclaiming the land may be to build neighbourhoods (thinking RL Singapore and Hong Kong here), so Disgusting appeal might be counter productive.
6) Arghhh! You have thought about this too hard! Probably easiest if it stays the same continent it is attached to. We might have to ask the UN (but China won't listen to their decision)
7) Complicated. Perhaps it can't be done within 1 tile of a natural wonder?
8) Cliffs gone.
9) Rivers still flow along side of hex as normal. If coastal hexes either side of river "mouth" turned to land the river continues through middle to ocean.
10) Not sure it would have any practical effect on trade routes?
11) If you followed the model from Civ4, the engineers could continue to work on the newly formed plains and turn them into grassland or even hills (or tundra I guess... why would you want tundra?! lol)
Thanks for your excellent suggestions/questions! I have asked some "lower" level modders and they said it was beyond them, so maybe this can only be done at Firaxis/Y2K level? (I have no idea!)

Top Bottom