recommend a Documentary.

Clement

Layman
I've always liked documentaries, the travel ones especially, they are like windows into other worlds and i have enjoyed many of them greatly over the years, here are a few which i like,

Micro men :

A fun documentary/drama about Sir Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry of Acorn computers during the budding UK computer age of the early 80's.

Link to video.

Arena documentary :

A documentary about my favourite science fiction author, Phillip K Dick.

Link to video.

To Infinity and Beyond :

An interesting documentary exploring the concept of infinity.

Link to video.

Which documentaries have impressed you in the past? please leave a link to them if possible, thanks :goodjob:

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Link to video.

I'm a particular fan of In the Shadow of the Moon. It's got all the regular stock footage and space program narrative, but what I hadn't seen was all the astronaut interviews.

:goodjob: times a million. Dr.Thompson is my literary idol.

Definitely recommend that film, but I assume you've already seen it?

Though the part about him starting those rumors about Ed Muskie during the coverage of 1972 presidential campaign was a little weird for me; I'm friends with Muskie's granddaughter and felt obscurely guilty for looking up to a writer who kinda f'd up her grandpa's campaign. :blush:

I suggest a documentary called "Why We Fight?". Not to be confused with a series of American propaganda films from the second world war, but a documentary about the military industrial complex.

:goodjob: times a million. Dr.Thompson is my literary idol.

The King of Kong, which is about competitive retro video gaming, was also excellent.

The King of Kong is unintentionally hilarious, especially that d-bag Billy Mitchell and that tool Brian Kuh. But it's a great watch.

Wordplay, about crosswords and those who partake in them.

I'm a particular fan of In the Shadow of the Moon. It's got all the regular stock footage and space program narrative, but what I hadn't seen was all the astronaut interviews.

Oh that was a great documentary, i really respected astronauts after watching that, they have so many virtues, bravery, intelligence, good health, it doesn't seem fair :lol:

My favourite is the guy that orbited the moon while Neil and Buzz explored on the surface, Michael Collins, i respect his calmness, his bravery for zipping around the dark side of the moon completely on his own in that tiny craft, must have been pretty dark, lonely and frightening, and his calm acceptance of not being able to go on the surface and experience walking on the moon, even though he was so close.

The King of Kong is unintentionally hilarious, especially that d-bag Billy Mitchell and that tool Brian Kuh. But it's a great watch.

Billy Mitchell is one of the great movie villains of our time. I'd fight him.

Oh that was a great documentary, i really respected astronauts after watching that, they have so many virtues, bravery, intelligence, good health, it doesn't seem fair :lol:

My favourite is the guy that orbited the moon while Neil and Buzz explored on the surface, Michael Collins, i respect his calmness, his bravery for zipping around the dark side of the moon completely on his own in that tiny craft, must have been pretty dark, lonely and frightening, and his calm acceptance of not being able to go on the surface and experience walking on the moon, even though he was so close.

Yeah, he really comes off well. Personally my favorite was Gene Cernan. After watching that, I imagine him as some sort of Jedi Knight astronaut. Charlie Duke's pretty impressive too; to think he almost got to go twice.

'The World at War' provides a somewhat dated but very interesting examination of the seminal conflict of the century. Like many texts (Lukacs, for example) it does show its age, but holds ip exceptionally well compared to modern dross.

Top Bottom