recommend a Kung Fu movie.

Are we talking about the Fearless with the horrible plane crash scenes?
No, the Jet Li one, where he fights a bunch of Europeans and a Japanese guy to "reclaim China's honour", or some such. (It's not quite as overtly nationalistic as that may sound, given that it's set in turn of the century Shanghai, where the Chinese really were pretty thoroughly exploited by the West.) It's got some cool inter-disciplinary scenes, which I guess you might call "mixed martial arts", but is mostly just cool, and the plot manages to do more than just string-together fights without loosing focus.

Also, when we say "kung fu film", do we specifically mean Wuxia films, or just any martial arts film? Stuff like Ong Bak and Warrior King (both well worth a watch, by the way) are technically Muay Thai, and Enter the Dragon is, well, a bunch of stuff. And where do we stand on historical epics like Red Cliffs or Battles of Wits, or samurai films?

Ong Bak is pretty good. Apparently there is another one but i doubt that'll be as good.

Seconded. I liked the one involving stealing golden Buddha or something. I just remember the final show-down was in a cave and involved a giant gold Buddha.

Other than that, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was alright. Bit more complex characters than regular 'kung-fu'.

Enter the Dragon is ok if you just like seeing pummeling.

Other than that, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was alright. Bit more complex characters than regular 'kung-fu'.

I've no idea what regular 'kung-fu' you watch.

I am watching the Kung fu TV series from 1972. Ground breaking and awesome for its day.

Also, when we say "kung fu film", do we specifically mean Wuxia films, or just any martial arts film? Stuff like Ong Bak and Warrior King (both well worth a watch, by the way) are technically Muay Thai, and Enter the Dragon is, well, a bunch of stuff. And where do we stand on historical epics like Red Cliffs or Battles of Wits, or samurai films?

I would prefer the broad definition of Asian martial arts movies. Historical epics set in Asia too I suppose.

Top Bottom