1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend my a DSLR Camera for beginners...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BirraImperial, Jan 6, 2017.

1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I want to start a new hobby this year...I thought about photography and I wonder which camera would be best to start out with?? Any CivFanatics photographers out there with some advice??

2. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Crap, sorry for the grammar typo, been a long day...

3. Silurian

Silurian Deity

I have a Canon EOS 1200D which seems ok .
    I have taken many photos whilst out walking.
    I have had it for just over a year and should really read the manual so I can use more of the features.

4. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Whatever model you settle on, I'd advise getting the previous iteration in that series second hand. You'll save a significant percentage of the price and get something that's 95% as good. That doesn't help you pick a model in the first place of course...

innonimatu likes this.
  5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I use a sony travel cam, it's good enough for me, so I can't offer any camera advice, but here's some resources you should find handy:

http://imgur.com/gallery/pDC1X
    http://imgur.com/gallery/mjv6p

http://www.r-photoclass.com/

If you're just starting out with photography, the camera is not as important. You learning the basics is a lot more important IMO. A good photographer will be able to take great photos with the cheapest camera, whereas a bad photographer will struggle taking decent photos with the most expensive camera.

Having said that, this is going to be an investment for the future, so buying a fancy DSLR is not a bad idea. If you could borrow a cheap camera from someone though and practice getting the hang of the basics first, that might be a good idea too. That way jumping into a fancy DSLR won't be as intimidating

6. gert

gert Chieftain

The Nikon D5300. is good for beginners.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

8. MilesGregarius

MilesGregarius Half-baked Renegade

First rule of interchangeable lens cameras (DSLRs or mirrorless) is to always invest in glass (lenses) and worry less about the camera bodies. Lenses last a lifetime, but cameras (especially digital ones) only last until the next model makes it obsolescent. Decide on what you're most likely to be shooting and research which manufacturer's system best fits your needs. Most manufacturers lenses only work on their own companies bodies, but there are some excellent third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, etc.) as well that work on multiple systems.

You also have to decide on what format you'll be shooting when choosing a modern camera system. Full frame (FF) uses the same size sensor as old 35mm film cameras, but FF cameras and lenses tend to be big, heavy, and EXPENSIVE. Crop sensor are the standard at the moment for consumer cameras (like the Nikon D5300 mentioned by gert) and aren't too expensive these days. An even smaller option is micro 4/3 (m4/3) made by Olympus and Panasonic; beautifully made cameras and lenses, but not as well developed an ecosystem from companies with shakier finances. Each format has its pros and cons, so you need to weigh what you think you'll need.

That said, I can get behind gert's suggestion of the D5300. It's a slightly older model (current model: D5500) so you'll save a few dollars. I would immediately add the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G lense. This is the basic prime (non-zoom) lens. It makes a great learning tool, and it's cheap (under USD 200). That f-number means you'll be able to do a lot of things you can't on the standard zooms found with most cameras.

BirraImperial likes this.
  9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Very good advice. Don't overpay for the latest and greatest, there's no noticeable difference anymore unless you have very specific needs.