1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for Gaming Laptops?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by carmen510, May 26, 2012.

1. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

I'm going to be away for the month of July and the place I'm going to won't have computers that I can play on.

My budget is likely $1500, possibly $2000. If it can play games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or the Witcher 2 on Medium settings, that'd be perfectly fine. Portability is a bit of a concern, but only on the journey. Screen size doesn't matter that much to me.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'd recommend against gaming laptops.

If you're really set on one, look at Razer and Asus.

3. mdwh

mdwh Deity

I'm looking into this myself - one of my friends recommended Clevo, which is what I'm looking at (I think Malibal is a US reseller).

Why out of interest? As in one should get a non-gaming laptop, or you mean one should stick with desktops? (Or in his case, not get anything at all?)

4. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I've had an Asus gaming laptop for 2 years now and the only complaint is that the battery life is pathetic. As long as you have somewhere you can have it plugged in when you intend to use it, you should be fine. Other than that, I love it.

5. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Overheating is a significant problem, laptop hardware does not compare to desktop hardware, and fixing a laptop isn't particularly high on the "easy list".

But if you absolutely want a mobile gaming platform, as Zelig suggested look into Asus and Razer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230142

Falls within your price range and it should be able to run any high-end games reasonably except really intensive games (Crysis series for example), and even then, it should be able to run it smoothly on low-medium settings.

Your largest issue with this laptop will be potential overheating and the battery life, but as long as you don't game for 3 hours+ at a time and have a power outlet nearby at all times you should be smooth sailing. Judging by customer reviews the laptop itself stays rather cool so if you only have your lap to put it on, you don't need to worry about burning your legs and crotch.

Worth noting is that the hard drive is only 500GB, but there is an empty slot for an SSD so it's not all bad.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I would recommend not getting a gaming laptop. But if you're dead set on getting one, then be sure to get some cooling pads to go with your computer. The one that I have for my sofa laptop has a cooling pad with fans powered by USB from the computer.

7. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

With that in mind, be sure the fan you get is large enough to fit the laptop on without slipping or lack of coverage.

Edit: Additionally, you may be interested in acquiring one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10307&cs_id=1030702&p_id=6631&seq=1&format=2

I have one of these, and it is incredibly handy for someone that is left-handed as I am. Having all my cables on the right helps a lot. It also adds a few extra slots for USB accessories so that's always handy.

8. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Both, gaming laptops tend to be too heavy and large to be properly portable as a laptop, and size, thermal concerns, and lack of peripherals make them not particularly good for gaming.

Easiest compromise is to get a good non-gaming laptop, and just not play new games, old games will run fine (as as a bonus, they'll be extra cheap), you'll be be consistently behind the gaming curve by a few years.

9. mdwh

mdwh Deity

True, though one has to be careful not to get the graphics chipsets that are hopeless (Intel, or the lower end of AMD's and NVIDIA's ranges that aren't intended for gaming) - I've found that the laptops with the better graphics cards (even ones not at the cutting edge) are still categorised as "gaming" laptops, though maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Anyone have recommendations for these?

My own interest is not for the latest games, but being able to play a-few-years-old games, and 3D programming.

The only portability I'll need from a gaming laptop is moving it around the house :) (And anything with a 17" screen is never going to be that portable - I have my 10" Samsung for that.)

10. WildFire

WildFire amour

I'd recommend against gaming laptops but if you must have one I'd go with asus

11. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

And I forgot to mention in my last post - I generally recommend business-line laptops as they tend to be of higher build-quality than consumer lines, but they're also not appropriate as "gaming laptops".

12. mdwh

mdwh Deity

Well those are the downsides of laptops - I wouldn't consider any of those a reason to rule them out altogether. Each has their pros and cons.

For what the OP stated, a desktop simply isn't capable of satisfying his requirement, so it isn't a case of how it compares to a desktop. The issues should be whether a gaming laptop wouldn't satisfy his needs at all; or whether a non-gaming latop would actually do a better job.

The difficulty of repairing laptops applies to laptops in general (as well as tablets, phones, etc), but hasn't put most people off. The laptop I'm looking at has a far higher spec than my current desktop :)

13. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

If you do decide a gaming laptop is suitable for you, get an appropriately sized cooling pad for it, as if it's anything like mine it will be a huge benefit (better performance and fewer crashes when playing games). The thing with gaming laptops is because they're so large the typical cooling pads they sell in stores aren't going to fit it - you might need to order a special one online.

14. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

If you have any crashes with regular use of a computer (ie. on a flat surface, not on a blanket), something is wrong with it and it should be fixed or returned.

15. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Requiring proper heat dispersal for intensive gaming is not indicative of a problem.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Proper heat dispersal for a laptop is on a flat surface at room temperature.

If it fails to work under these conditions, there's something wrong with it.

17. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

I have an Asus gaming laptop and overheating has never been a problem for me. Sure it gets a little hot from time to time, but it has never overheated.