Recommended Civ version for young kids?

I started with II, but I think I put the most hours in III. Either would be good, but I lean toward III.

my niece graduated as an engineer , definetely better than me in -shall we say- "formal English" and ı tried to "teach" her Civ lll but she didn't have time for it with all the things to do and study in university . Though she was really happy with Civ l on her father's first desktop , finishing a game within hours , when she came home in the summer break . ı heard my nephew on the hand had V on his laptop . Though their taste in playing Civ in any form might depend on the times when they were truly minors and watching me or their father play , especially the diplomacy screens in Civ l where those guys were so funny , even in the 90s . So , as already suggested a father-son time could be nice talking on what dad used to do back in the day and starting from initial games according to availability . He would find one to his taste and while he could never play later he would remember he was cared for and stuff because dad tried to teach him some game .

Just to mention it:
Call to Power 2 is available on gog.
(or at least it was for some time)
It is somewhere in-between Civ2 and 3 and has some nice features like no worker units and an extended future techtree. It also uses a max 12 unit per tile mechanic a a kind of hybrid between 1upt and did.

I'm surprised, nobody has mentioned Civ Revolution (2) yet. They are certainly the least complex part of the series, even if they are not in the main lines. I can understand you want to stay there, though. But for age seven, it might not be the worst idea to go for the comical look they used there... I don't know, I never really played the civ rev games myself to be honest.

Out of curiosity, how would you even play Civ 1 or 2 nowadays? Can it be purchased? I've tried GOG but they don't have them, and even if I ebay it it's not going to run on Windows 10 without some special acrobatics.

Here a time machine for you.

As for your questions, it's civ 4. Beautiful graphic, lots variety of mods for uncountable replayibility, that goes from a simple alteration till a total transformation of the game, sometime even mods can be bigger than the game itself.

I can suggest for you also Sid Pirate, and the old colonization was fun, but the remake one unfortunately the gameplay mechanic not as fun as the classical one, because they build the pressure too fast, making you unable to enjoy the game like it was in the classical version.

Top Bottom