1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended LUA development tactics?

Discussion in 'CivBE - Modding Help & Mod Creation' started by Chiryoushi, May 21, 2016.

1. Chiryoushi

Chiryoushi Chieftain

Mar 9, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker who got BERT about three weeks ago and almost immediately started modding it. I'm happy and confident with XML but the Lua* is making me tear my hair out. I've written a simple Quest that simply doesn't function. I won't post it here because really I'd much rather learn to fix the problem than ask folks to do it for me!

(*full disclosure: I'm new to Lua but not to declarative programming: I've played with PROLOG and Haskell over the years.)

Are there any recommended development tactics? Any tools you can use to make your life easier? Anything you can use to pre-check the files in context to work out if they're going to blow up before you even try to use them? Is there a Lua master-post somewhere that I've managed to miss in my bumbling? A list of common config errors that newbies make?

I am lost. Pls send help. :(