Recovery

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
I've had a bit of a nightmare yesterday. For several months I've had an issue with my PC stuttering & freezing when I play videos (You Tube is the worst) and it was getting worse. I think it's to do with how the OS was originally installed. So I decided to reinstall from scratch. To do this I needed to make a Windows 10 ISO file & decided to put it on my external hard drive. What I did not realise is that this wiped off all existing files!!! I've lost loads of Civ2 stuff, old projects, graphics archives etc. I can salvage a lot of it from various sources, but it's really frustrating. The major loss is Yugoslav Partisans. I don't suppose I sent you a copy to anyone to look at?

Most projects can be revived through various means as I have files all over the place, but I can't track a save for Partisans & that map had a LOT of work put into it.

Don't know if its any help, but we ve all been there. Don't blame yourself over spilt milk -accidents happen.

Sorry Drew but I never got a copy of your Partisans scenario other than the unit graphics file which I grabbed from your development thread.

I've had a bit of a nightmare yesterday. For several months I've had an issue with my PC stuttering & freezing when I play videos (You Tube is the worst) and it was getting worse. I think it's to do with how the OS was originally installed. So I decided to reinstall from scratch. To do this I needed to make a Windows 10 ISO file & decided to put it on my external hard drive. What I did not realise is that this wiped off all existing files!!! I've lost loads of Civ2 stuff, old projects, graphics archives etc. I can salvage a lot of it from various sources, but it's really frustrating. The major loss is Yugoslav Partisans. I don't suppose I sent you a copy to anyone to look at?

Most projects can be revived through various means as I have files all over the place, but I can't track a save for Partisans & that map had a LOT of work put into it.
I have the unts.bmp file for your Yugoslav Partisans scenario, but that is it, I'm afraid. I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

Sorry to read this.

CurtSibling is completly right about doing backups of our work. Some years ago, when I was working on a Civ 3 mod (CCM1), my computer cought fire and I was very glad that I had done some backups of my work.

Done that too many times. I've even had a power supply take out both the systems HD, the external backup HD and a USB stick that was a secondary backup. All fried in one go.

Sorry to read this.

CurtSibling is completly right about doing backups of our work. Some years ago, when I was working on a Civ 3 mod (CCM1), my computer cought fire and I was very glad that I had done some backups of my work.
Done that too many times. I've even had a power supply take out both the systems HD, the external backup HD and a USB stick that was a secondary backup. All fried in one go.
You two got far more dramatic ends to your computers than I've ever had. Mine usually had the "go with a whimper, not a bang," type endings.

Thanks guys. I think Yugoslav Partisans is the only big loss. All of the other projects are either recoverable or were not so far into development that they can't be replicated. I know some of the YP files are on my work hard-drive, but I doubt I sent the save or map file. My most recent ToTPP Projects I was working on are safe. I guess this will allow me to focus on them without the distraction of old projects.

I know this feels unfortunate, but it's really an opportunity for YP to be even better with all the recent advancements in design theory with lua and the like. The scenario will be even better because of it!

Top Bottom