1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Recycled news?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by toft, Jun 28, 2016.

1. toft

toft King

-----

2. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

If I'll see one more video of that E3 China gameplay but with different commentary I'm gonna cry. I also don't wanna hear "we are unstacking cities..." or "we introduce leader agendas..." anymore :p

Anyway, It'd be nice if Firaxis did what Paradox does and released a piece of data every week, regularly, in form of developer diaries or whatever, the chaotic nature of Civ5-GK-BNW-BE-Civ6 marketing is quite frustrating.

1,5 months since announcement, 4 months to release, and we've still seen very little of an actual gameplay footage. 2-3 gameplays of few Chinese cities for a couple of turns and few more screenshots. I wanna see desert, snow, jungle, sea combat, other civs than China-America-Egypt, religions, diplomacy, tech tree view, more UI, culture view, renaissance era...

I'd seriously prefer Firaxis giving some info every week instead of "two weeks of total silence, BOOM SUDDEN FLOOD OF DATA, two weeks of rehashing and repeating it".

3. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Cant they release Cleo/Chinaguy/Japanguy render at least? You already revealed them Firaxis

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They are trying to get as much mileage out of each piece of marketing as they can, and to reach as many people who have never played Civ as possible. The marketing push is not for our benefit, fellow fans.

5. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Yes, because the way marketing works is that 2K/Firaxis has a carefully planned timeline for releasing new info. They send out the same info to all the news outlets who then write up their articles. So the articles will be based on the same info. When the next info dump happens, then we'll see a stream of new articles based on the new info dump. etc...

6. darko82

darko82 Emperor

We have been unstacking the cities for two months - just another four months and here we go :lol:

7. sanchopanda

sanchopanda Chieftain

No, it's not just you. Those recycled articles are annoying. You see the timestamp and hope for some new information, but most of the time it's very old news or absolutely no news at all.

8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

17th July
    "In this video of E3 gameplay we wanted to talk in depth about the new revolutionary thing in Civ6 - districts! Oh and btw AI leaders now have diplomatic agendas. Here you see China, America and Egypt. Cleopatra likes civs with big military and Theodore has big stick."

9. darko82

darko82 Emperor

10. toft

toft King

-----

11. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

This reminds me of The Sims 4's marketing

Tactile and Intuitive!

12. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Ehemmm...

The site is called CiVFANATICS.

Its very very active and has SEVERAL posts based on individual vids in which we dissect every aspect of the video.

There's a running post on Wonders
    On Luxury Resources
    Each individual Civ
    I believe there's one discerning the 12 districts
    Very detailed arguments for and against Cleopatra

To put it gently we are an intense anomaly. It would be irresponsible of Firaxis to waste marketing dollars on appealing to us. The way they market to us is by delivering a game better than the last one. But they're a business marketing to fans who are fanatics of other games meaning they haven't watched the first 5 vids. They have to assume every piece of marketing is the first image a customer has scene about the game. Being a part of the demographic anomaly that is Civfanatics means we won't get alot of marketing material specifically for us.

It's like why the lead single for music superstar is usually meh for super fans who'll want to hear the deep album cuts...

Paradox makes amazing games and they honestly pulled me away from Civ5 but they as a whole are still a much smaller developer.

By the way did you know they're unstacking cities???

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Well said.

14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

The unstacking bit will be mentioned in every article between now and release. It's one of the biggest new features and you have to sell it to every potential new person hearing about civ6 for the first time.

While we're here dissecting every single piece of information, others aren't. Three of my good friends have played civ just as long as I have and they play just as much. I was the one who revealed civ6 to all three of them, independently; they had no idea it was coming out. This was since E3, as I showed the demo to each of them.

It's important that the important things get talked about often so people who don't constantly refresh the civ6 forum page know what the game is about.

15. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I'd be nice if Marketing would split their plans for both demographics (casual and hardcore)

However, remember that to the company it's not a game, it's a product. They need to ensure it sells. As harsh as it sounds you can't blame them from streamlining everything to ensure it catches people's attention.

It's not fun for us who want MORE detailed and specific info, but I'm sure down the line closer to release theyll start doing it.

16. m15a

m15a Emperor

Most of the topic has been covered but it's also worth noting that the Civilization twitter reposts fairly old articles. Slightly annoying since I keep expecting it's a new article, but of course the official twitter account wants to highlight all of the different publications that are covering Civ VI.

And of course the twitter account is going to repeatedly link to their own content (videos, blog posts). That's just how twitter is used since not everyone sees every tweet.

Even ignoring the new England video, that is some terrible extrapolation. Before the England video, we basically had one data point for the release date of "First Look" videos (or technically two data points at on the date) - June 20. Before the England video was released, there was no "rate" of release of First Look videos.

And if we're looking at all of the information revealed and videos released, the first First Look videos were released less than a week after the E3 Q&A, which was obviously within days of all of the other E3 content. If you wanted to make any sort of reasonable (although rough) extrapolation, it'd be that we're getting videos and reveals more frequently since E3.

They are already doing that and, if anything, they are catering more towards the hardcore players. First off, that E3 demo walkthrough live stream, the deep dive on the announcement video, and a lot of the Q&A was targeted specifically at us. More casual players aren't going to want that detail of information and we are the ones asking for clarifications on information we've already heard or figured out from carefully analyzing screenshots (e.g., questions about cliffs, etc. are not ones that casual players came up with). But the trickling of data suits us as well because we're the ones that actually want to talk about each bit of information in detail.

If you don't want a trickling of data, then unfollow Civilization social media and don't visit CFC. Then check back in a month or so. You'll get a ton of information all at once.

17. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Uh... They released their first "First Look" video last Monday. As of last week we were 18 weeks out from civ6's release. This week, we got another "first look" video and we're 17 weeks out. There are 16 weeks left until civ releases and 16 civs. They've released two "first looks" in two weeks.

It's reasonable to establish that the "rate" will be - at least - one "First Look" every week from now until release.

18. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

When a game is still under development, many assets are still unfinished. So when they show you previews of the game, you see the bits that are finished.

Why aren't they showing more civilizations other than the ones we're seeing? Probably because they're not finished yet.

19. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

I too would love more info at the moment. Yet I remember Shirk and Beach in a commentary about CiV development mention that most of the work revolving around what we see on the finished product occurs shortly before launch. Usually around the 5 month mark. This would explain why art assets are missing and leader logos are changing. The are most likely working on 2 civs a week so that they have some cushion room that enables them to do a Civ a week. I imagine we will get that huge data dump with solid info mid July. In short what we consider work occurs shortly before shipping. In reality the systems and AI as well as the new engine took the majority of the development time.

20. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Well, I tend to disagree with both points :)

Pieces we see are not necessary finished. We see some units/building stats, which are surely a subject of change, for example. And we've seen a lot of placeholder icons.

And I don't think they don't show us all civilizations just because all of them are unfinished. I assume by this point all civilization uniques and agendas are defined by developers and some leader screens should be already done too (they are done for Egypt for a while, at least).

I think the time to release different bits of info is more a marketing strategy. Although they'll surely don't show any seriously incomplete stuff.