Recycling Great People Names (and Works)?

Halcyan2

Emperor
Many of you know that Civ V has a limited list of Great People names (particularly, Writers, Artists, and Musicians who can create Great Works). Once the game has gone through the list, future great people just have a generic "Great XXX" (none of who can create Great Works).

I wonder why the game doesn't simply recycle names (especially of Great Works that were not created).

I'm currently playing a game with 22 civs (more than normal) and I'm in the middle of the Industrial Age and we have already run out of Great Writers.

Regardless of the number of civs in your game, the implication of non-recycling is that any time a Great W/A/M dies or is expended for a Political Treatise, Golden Age, or Concert Tour, that means their particular work can never be created (or viewed in the game). So it's kind of sad every time the AI "wastes" a Great Person on a Treatise/GA/Tour.

Yes, you could argue that the creative genius of that piece dies with that great person. But you could also argue if the name/piece could be recycled then the long lost, unpublished work of the dead guy is discovered. Or if you are okay with supernatural events, maybe the guy got reincarnated.

So ideally, it would be cool if:

If the Great Person list is exhausted, then instead of generating a "generic" great person, that the game first try to recycle the list (with the caveat that it doesn't use a name if that Great Work has already been created or if there is currently a unit with that name).

Do people think this would be a good idea?

Alternatively, does anyone with modding experience or understanding of the great people system (particularly with name generation) know how one could design a mod to recycle names?

Or you could just install a mod that includes more Great Works.

Top Bottom