Red Alert on Star Trek?

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not a movie connoisseur of any kind. I just know I liked Nemesis. For me, all movies fall into two categories: I liked them or I didn't. (Bond Movies are an exception - IMO if they don't have Timothy Dalton or George Lazenby as Bond, then they automatically get classified as awesome, whether they were good or not)

Sean Connery! Thats EXACTLEY what star trek needs :)

Originally posted by Xen
Sean Connery! Thats EXACTLEY what star trek needs :)

Uh....no.

Bond & Trek do not mix

Originally posted by PresidentMike
There was that Bond inspired episode of DS9, Our Man Bashir. It wasn't that bad at all.

True, but IMO this was not done for the series, but rather as a character development for Bashir. The doctor was fascinated by spys and intrigue. Probably the reason he and Garak became friends. Bashir and Garak were the characters the writers mostly used for espionage. The others may have had some trivial role in it, but they were the go-to characters. Garak as a former member of the Obsidian Order and the son of the former leader of the Obsidian Order, and Bashir's interest in espionage & Section 31's attempt to recruit the doctor. One episode inspired by Bond is OK (I never actually saw that episode, but heard it was good) But using Bond to save the series would not work (once again, IMO)

For those that do not know, he has pretty much described the plot of the "Star Wars: New Jedi Order" book series.

The funny thing is, as I went through this thread... reading the chatter of a big, badder, more evil bad guy for Star Trek... the crap of the NJO kept harking through my mind. Ah, yes, the Yuuzhan Vong in Star Wars... the sackers of Coruscant, the mutating of the Rodians into crabs, the killing of Chewie by slamming a moon into him, and much more utter crap. Be careful for what you wish for, or you might get something far worse then the Voyager series :mad:

Bottom line, it`s actors/characters. You`re never going to beat the friendship and working relationship of Kirk (William Shatner), Spock (Leonard Nimoy), McCoy (DeForrest Kelly), and Co. You just cannot beat that. TNG had some of that as well with Cpt. Picard (Patrick Stewart) being, arguably, the most likeable and talented actor to ever take part in the franchise (To back this up, Patrick Stewart was the only Star Trek character ever to move beyond the series with noteability). What kept me away from Voyager and DS9 (for the most part it`s run) was the absence of good solid actors/characters. While Sisko and others were not horrible or even bad, they could never make the calibur to match the prestige of Spock, Kirk, and Picard. I appreciated the little things like "nuclear wessel" being uttered by Chekov, or "are you out of your Vulcan mind?!", the love-hate relationship between McCoy and Spock, the never-say-die attitude. I don`t feel that anymore when I watch the new Star Trek material. They got lucky to get some quality actors in the first two series. They need to sit back for about a year or two, develop top-pf-the-line material for a new beyond TNG Star Trek series, in which there is a war going on between the Federation and some other group. New material please!

*WATCHING "STAR TREK: The Voyage Home"*

Originally posted by Junzi Nicuzn
But using Bond to save the series would not work (once again, IMO)

I don't think the franchise needs "saving" per se: fifty years from now people will still be watching Star Trek and its assorted movies/spin-offs. What it needs is revitalization (is that a word?).

Originally posted by PresidentMike
I don't think the franchise needs "saving" per se: fifty years from now people will still be watching Star Trek and its assorted movies/spin-offs. What it needs is revitalization (is that a word?).

This may or may not be true, I need to see what happens next with the franchise. And Bond won't revitalize Star Trek either.

Orignally posted by John-LP
or "are you out of your Vulcan mind?!", the love-hate relationship between McCoy and Spock, the never-say-die attitude. I don`t feel that anymore when I watch the new Star Trek material.

I don't know, I always thought Odo and Quark had a good love-hate relationship. But maybe it was just me that thought.

Originally posted by Ahmad
I'd add my thoughts and ideas to this thread but.. well.. Data DIED !

sniff.. for me.. it's too soon.. :cry:

Don't be fooled. Data isn't dead. Don't you remember? They downloaded his memories & personality into that primitive model.
I'm sure if there's ever another TNG movie, that within the first 10 minutes Geordi will "apply an inverse tachyon beam with an isometric ionization frequency to the android's positronic net" and then he'll magically be Data reborn, expect maybe he'll have forgotten all he learned about humanity & have to go back to the bygone days of his never understanding the crew's behavior.
Nobody ever dies for real on Star Trek. I even expect Kirk will be back someday in some form or other. As long as Shatner lives, the possibility exists.:p

Come on guys. Don't mince words. Tell us what you really think.

Well after reading all these Star Trek bashing posts I'm confused. What other science fiction story has as many episodes?
***Dr.Who - but it's a little odd. Love those Daleks.
**Babylon 5 - great saga with some add-ons but they cut short the last series. Guess we'll never know how the Earth gets saved. Actually the original series' premise of a start,a middle and an end was superb. Seeing events in season one intelligently foreshadow those in season five was worth the wait.
**Farscape- awesomely intricate but where can I see it now that SciFi dumped it?

ST:Enterprise is a great premise. Both the first Klingon and Romulan war await. My greatest disappointment was Berman(producer) bringing in future aliens (Ferengi,Borg) when there are so many unexplored oldies. The Andorran episodes are intruiging. Why not have episodes with the Orions? It would provide Curt with his green skinned sex - and who doesn't love a good pirate flick? (We Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead)

Originally posted by Ahmad
I'd add my thoughts and ideas to this thread but.. well.. Data DIED !

sniff.. for me.. it's too soon.. :cry:
Ahmad, I know, but it was for a reason. It was because of Mr. Spiner. He was getting too old, and obviously, androids don't age. Data admitted it himself, he will be the same dimensions the day he was created, and the day he goes offline.

Although, now he can do a pretty good Dr. Soong...

Anyway, look at this:
Story by
JOHN LOGAN & RICK BERMAN & BRENT SPINER
With him writing part of the story, and killing his caracter off, he almost assured that there would be another Star Trek film/series. If there is one starring the Next Generation Crew, then Data's actor would be too old, thereby ruining the effect.

Oh, and that song that Riker was talking about? The one Data was whistling during the farpoint mission?

It was "Pop Goes the Weasel"

Oh, and has anybody seen those "Mega series" of books that spans all four series, TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY?

Think about it...Maybe a movie that starts with the crew of the original Enterprise, (NX-01 and/or NCC-1701 with their doctor in Starfleet Medical or something...) or Enterprise B, goes to the Enterprise E, and somehow ends up involving the DS9 and Voyager crews, and somehow tying in with the return of Sisko!

Think about it....

Also, what about a Movie that is a pilot of a Series?

Actually, i was joaking (although, I'm a big fan of Connery, one good actor with an english accent is nice- no disrespect intended)

personally, I would like to see some more attempts at making the current series better- in paticuler address some of the few topics that the other never di A) the establishment of human colonies in other systems, and B) how multiple races were actually grafted in to starfleet, and the actual creation of the federation, the current series only has Scott Bacula (another actor i like), and a bunch of other guys-along with a hot vulcan chick- running around space

The VSW has her moments, but her character is sooooo... Vulcan.

The problem with the series is the same as the last 3; they don't develop the characters until they've been on the show for a few years. Contrast that with the fantastic but short lived "Firefly", all the roles were so distinct. In "Enterprise", there are three characters that play the same part, except one of them is black and one is British.

The eccentric doctor is kind of interesting, and of course the VSW and Bakula. Unfortunately, Star Trek has a creative policy that reads:
1. Characters will die or be replaced only in absolute emergencies and never for creative reasons.
2. The series will run 7 years.
3. The series concept will remain consistant for that whole 7 years.

But they're in a bind all the same. If they don't anything the series is stale. If they do change the style, it will no longer be "Star Trek".

Originally posted by Greadius
1. Characters will die or be replaced only in absolute emergencies and never for creative reasons.

True
1. Tasha Yar - Bad Character
2. Jadzia Dax - Actress Left
3. Kes - Wasn't working, writers failed to develop her

But...
1. Yar came back in Yesterday's Enterprise and ended up having a daughter who looked like her with pointy ears
2. Dax came back via symbiote
3. Kes came back, tried to destroy Voyager

ST is reluctant to even completely kill a main character.

2. The series will run 7 years.
I think Enterprise has a good chance of breaking this tradition. It just won't be good for them :mischief:

3. The series concept will remain consistant for that whole 7 years.

A little
1. ST:TNG - Remained consistant
2. ST-DS9 - IMO, the first two or three seasons are pretty different than the rest of the series
3. Voyager - First half: "How can we find a way home with all these strange new aliens we meet and the Kazon hounding us"
Second half: "Crap the Borg" little later "Future Borg" little later "The Raven, Borg Research Ship" little later "Borg-Children"
then Borg, Borg, Borg, Borg all the way to the last episode. I like the Borg, just not in every episode.

Those frinxing Borg!

"Sound's Sweedish..."

I agree that the Doctor has a lot of potential. A race that allows three wives/husbands each! One of my favorite episodes was the one with one of the Doc's wives flirting with Trip, and Dr. Flox was Okay with that!

I have an Idea: They may have the show the first "Five year mission"

I saw the season finale of Enterprise, and it looks like they might just be trying to take a different approach to the show, for at least part of the next season according to interviews.

Top Bottom