1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Red unhappy people?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by DannyITR, Nov 17, 2007.

1. DannyITR

DannyITR Chieftain

Hi guys.

In some of my cities there are red unhappy people. What the heck is that? I can post a screenshot if you don't know what I'm talking about.

2. DannyITR

DannyITR Chieftain

3. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

Welcome to the forum, DannyITR.

This seems to be a little trick Sid plays on really big civilizations.
    At emperor level, you start with 2 born-content people (the dark blue shirts in the city display) in every city. After those first two, each additional citizen is born unhappy (the black shirts).
    At emperor level, you can build 12 cities with no ill effects. But then, the born-contents start to disappear. When you have 24 cities, each city will only have one born-content. By the time you have built 36 cities, there are no born-content citizens anywhere. About now the cure for cancer starts looking real good.
    When you go beyond 36 cities, you start adding those red-shirted citizens.
    Each 12 cities you build adds another red shirt in every city.
    The good news about these guys is they respond well to luxuries. Two diamonds makes one go from red (very unhappy) to light blue (happy). The bad news is it's twice as hard to make them content. A cathedral only makes makes two of them content.

For Sid's next trick on the big civilizations, watch what happens when you discover future tech 65.

4. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

I've still yet to run into this bug.

Thanks for the breakdown. I never did the math on this one.

5. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

The math is for emperor level in a democracy.
    In less advanced governments, red shirts appear more quickly.
    At easier difficulty levels, they appear more slowly.

Another data point : prince-democracy loses one born-content with each 20 cities built.

6. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

Red Shirts don't show up at all in Chieftain/Democracy (and probably Republic, too) regardless of civ size.

7. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

Given the pattern I've seen so far, chieftan should lose a content citizen for each 28 cities built (after the first 28). This could drop your born-contents to 3 or 4 per city. Have you seen this?
    Since chieftans appear to be immune to pollution, they may be exempt for this effect also.

8. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

Actually, two born contents at the extreme.

Could you clarify "immune to pollution"?

9. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

I know that normal pollution from cities displaying smokestacks strikes all players equally.

I am referred what is commonly called the "pollution bug". When this brand of pollution strikes, smokestacks don't matter. Every city has about a 50% chance of polluting regardless of actual pollution "risk".
    Even a 4-point city with mass transit and zero production will pollute.

10. Lodatz

Lodatz Chieftain

Sorry to necro such an ancient thread, but I kinda want to know what the trick is...

11. tupi

tupi Chieftain

See https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/pollution-bug-nailed.535608/
    Darkpanda nailed it.
    Basically, the more techs and future techs you have and the highter the difficulty, the highter the change of pollution. With some number of future tech, even 1 smokestack in a city will give you pollution. One future tech more - and even zero smokestacks will pollute. This is so called pollution bug. But because chieftain is 0 and anything*0 = 0, chieftain is immune to this.