1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Reddit user has played a single Civ2 game for over 10 years

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by CivCube, Jun 12, 2012.

1. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

2. andvruss

andvruss Deity

It`s quite a good thread and an epic game, seemingly straight out of Orwell`s 1984. It has spawned a sub-reddit which has around 1700 members now just for this one game, worth a look!

3. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I just read his original post and many later comments.

Epic game indeed. The fact that he, Lycerius, has played till 3991 in a 10 year span is nothing short of epic.

However, given this comment by him:
    "That said, I usually played on Prince or King. As I recall, anything beyond that was virtually unplayable in Civ II."
    he is an immature player.

No mature player would have let an ordinary game of Civ2 to evolve into this mess in the first place. I am willing to bet 10 to 1, that any of our regular GOTM players can turn this game around by breaking the 1700-turn stalemate in less than 100 turns.

Another interesting thing is how many people are giving Lycerius advice (not all of which is good). Many start by saying that they used to be serious Civ2 players, but have not played in quite some time.

4. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I agree with Ali's statements.

I read in a comment somewhere that the save will be posted sometime tonight at

http://www.reddit.com/r/theeternalwar

I would suggest that we make this a Game of the Month (or some other special competition). It presents an interesting challenge and could attract a lot of outside interest.

I'd be more than willing to participate in managing the submissions and evaluating them for authenticity. We'd probably have to put a lot more effort into detecting cheating for this sort of thing than for the regular GOTM.

5. Ali Ardavan

I second the idea of a GOTM based on this save.

6. poncratias

poncratias Prince

7. Kabloosh

Kabloosh Warlord

Now that sounds entertaining. I never liked how tech just ended. It would be cool if future tech at least randomly boosted a random building type or a unit type. For instance a factory would get +1 production or mechanized infantry would get a 10% boost. Something not ridiculous but something to make other than boosting your stupid score.

Nuclear warfare definitely needs more impact on the environment.

8. sumodaz

sumodaz Chieftain

9. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

Very cool story indeed. But I disagree with your conclusion. Your thread is called "THIS is what CIV V's Missing!" What is it missing? The ability to play until 3997? No, it has that. Nukes? No, it has those too. Magic Pixie Dust (a.k.a. global warming)? OK, but I doubt that's what you're getting at. If you think where Civ V went wrong was in that it's driven by victory conditions, V is no different than II. There are ways that it feels less simulation and more war game, but I don't think this story can really be leveraged into a "therefore CiV lacks XYZ" argument.

Hate to take such an interesting story and make it a "in how many ways does Civ V suck/not suck?" thread, but if that's the thrust of the OP, I see no reason not to follow it through.

10. Muskie

Muskie Warlord

Yeah I saw it on Ars Technica.

One of my first complaints about Civ V was it was the first Civ game with no concept of the environment or global warming. The game has always had nukes. I've been nuked in Civ V but I've never used nuclear weapons in this version of the game, I don't have the "I can has nukes?" badge.

My friend Dave and I always wanted to play Civ against each other online. We've done it hot seat in Civ III. But I have a Mac and he has a PC. Supposedly it works now but it is hard to find the time. Play by mail, play one turn at a time seems like the way to go, but not for ten years...

Maybe I'll finally try it, instead of just talking about it...

From the comments on Ars, I'm not alone in missing Alpha Centauri which had probably the best simulation of the environment, even if it wasn't Earth's environment. Alas it appears EA holds the license and has no interest making the game, it just doesn't have blockbuster written all over it...

I may try to find my old discs and get it running on an older computer again. I bought a huge hard drive for my old computer to use it for backups, but then Time Machine doesn't work that way...

I don't think Civ V is all bad. They definitely made design decisions to make money selling DLC and future expansions. I seem to have played 100s of hours of Civ V and won a variety of ways with a variety of Civs so I got my money's worth, but it doesn't have the magic of some video games from the past, like Alpha Centauri.

Oh I wrote a blog post too recently after recommending on this forum that someone read a book...

Civ V Reading List

11. mackerel

mackerel Warlord

I've been wanting a scenario like this to come along. The only issue with GOTMing it is timing; it's a hot topic right now, waiting until July to start won't be an option.

12. The Peacekeeper

The Peacekeeper Chieftain

Wow, that is awesome! Is playing that far into the future only possible by turning off all VCs?

13. Mozzington

Mozzington Prince

Just checking, you know you can get this from gog.com don't you?

14. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I wouldn't wait for July to post the GOTM, even if it is to be the "Official GOTM for July." It might even be worthwhile to organize this as a competition distinct from the GOTM, and use the GOTM as a model.

I see a number of reasons for us to get involved with this, with benefits both to our community and to those who are interested in this game and its possible solutions.

1. As the main civ 2 community (I never really used Apolyton, but I haven't heard of new things coming from them for a while), we are a natural place to host save files and discussion on the topic. This could keep saves from being placed in multiple places on the internet.

2. An "official" competition would provide a framework for organizing the saved games of those interested in playing the game, and provide a way to legitimately claim that someone was the "best" at solving the problem.

3. Having been involved in civ 2 for a long time, we'll have more "credibility" for holding a competition than someone who got involved specifically for this event. This is particularly important for "legitimizing" attempts, particularly ones that look "too good" to an immature player.

4. This could bring some new people into our civ 2 community on a more permanent basis.

If we're going to do this, we're going to need to get a few things set up.

We'll need a committee to make rules and administer the competition and perhaps a second committee to organize and evaluate the submissions (depending on how many people actually decide to submit).

The committee would need a private forum somewhere to discuss things without publishing it to the general population. This would be particularly important for discussing anti-cheating measures. Would Civfanatics be able to provide us with something like that, or would we have to look elsewhere?

This could mean a little bit of work. I don't mind taking a prominent role, but I wouldn't want to do it alone. At the very least, some people to discuss ideas with would be helpful.

15. Ali Ardavan

I like the first idea better. There is no rule against posting games earlier than usual. If Magic and others are in agreement, we can can make this the July GOTM and make it available sooner than typical (early July).
    Count me in.
    I do not see intra-committee communication as an issue. Most of the issues can be decided publicly. The few that need to be private can be done via PMs.

16. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

This is the most awesome thing ever. Wow.

17. logintime

logintime Warlord

I'm actually kind of inspired by this to try something similar for Civ4. Create a tough map, turn off all victory conditions, and play past the turn limit as far as I can go. Should be an interesting challenge, no?

18. tuxedohamm

tuxedohamm Disguised as crow.

This reminded me so much of the year I lost doing nothing but playing Civ 2.

19. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

It's pretty far-fetched to call that Civ II game an actual simulation (tech caps out, life on Earth would probably be extinct if that many nukes went off, you and the other leaders would be overthrown/voted out of office due to the craziness, etc.) This is a funny story, but that's about it, and comparing some random game from Civ II to Civ V in general? Sorry, that's a comparison that really can't be made.

20. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Go for it ;) (Except for Conquest though :p )

I'd imagine it to be pretty epic on Terra actually!

Huge Terra Map, 18 Civ's *drool* That would be an amazing game! :D

Although, Axe/Sword Rush, Praet Rush may make the game finish faster so those might want to be avoided. Americans or the Germans would make a nice game actually :) The American Marines are very powerful units! And a nicely promoted Panzer can beat Modern Armours :) That would make an interesting late game.