Reducing influence from gold gifts

orangecape

Chieftain
I am looking to figure out how the formula for influence from gold gifts to city states works. Specifically I want to reduce the influence gained by roughly 50%. I have messed around with a number of different variables and though it is easy to make the gold gift amount decay faster by messing with

MINOR_CIV_GOLD_GIFT_GAME_MULTIPLIER or

MINOR_CIV_GOLD_GIFT_GAME_DIVISOR

I can't seem to find a variable that just reduces the influence gained. Changing the variables above to make influence be less will leave the initial amount the same but will cause them to decay more rapidly (including all the way to zero).

Anyone know how to accomplish what I am aiming for?

I think you might not be able to do it. Because in the Diplomacy mod the author just changed the amount of gold needed, not the influence gained from gold gifting.

Anyway I can be wrong. Check with Gazebo, he should know the answer:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392543

Anyone know how to accomplish what I am aiming for?

Yes.

The initial amounts are controlled by two variables:
GOLD_GIFT_FRIENDSHIP_EXPONENT (defaults to 1.01)
and
GOLD_GIFT_FRIENDSHIP_DIVISOR (defaults to 6.3)
both of which are in XML/AI/GlobalAIDefines.xml.

So let's call those "E" and "D" for short. N is the amount of gold you gift (250, 500, or 1000 by default, although you can change those as well in GlobalDefines).

The amount of Influence you get from a gift on turn 1 is (N^E)/D, and this is then rounded to a multiple of 5.

The exponential part is what makes a gift of 1000 slightly better than two gifts of 500. Increasing that number makes it even more pronounced.

So, examples. In the core game, a turn 1 gift gives 40/80/170 depending on the gift size.
In my mod, I changed the Exponent to 1.05 and the Divisor to 10.0. This made the starting gift sizes reduce to 30/65/140, and it scales down from there at the usual rates. To compensate, in my mod unit gifts now give 4 Influence instead of 2, and quests are now offered twice as often, although they still give the same amount when completed. The end result is that it's a lot harder to bribe your way to a diplomatic win, but you can still keep influence high in other ways.

So if you want to cut gifts' effects down by half across the board, the easiest way to do so would be to double that divisor, to 12.6. However, the "round to a multiple of 5" part will screw you up a bit, so you might want to increase the exponent (like I did) as well, which in turn would require you to increase the divisor even further to compensate. (1000^1.05 = 1412, so you'd have to multiply the divisor by 1.4 if you wanted the resulting influence to be the same as for a 1.00 exponent., or 1.3ish to match the default 1.01.)

Top Bottom