REF soldiers (strange bug)

StMikael

Warlord
I have been playing my first game of this interesting mod, and having recently declared my independence, I was looking forward to a challenge.

But the King's men were strangely weak, and I could beat them easily. Was this because of rebel sentiment? Not just that. Their strength is shockingly low. Take a look at the screenshot.

Soldiers 1, Dragoons 2, Artillery 3. How can this be? I know I haven't messed with any XML files ...

Attachments

• strangeref.jpg
    strangeref.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 294
Well then it was bc of that mod. If you want it to be more difficult, just make the soldiers stronger.

Yes, well, that's not as easy as it is in Civ 4. I tried changing the <icombat> for UNIT_REGULAR in civ4unitinfos, and also I raised the <iREFstrength> in civ4handicapinfos, but to no avail.

So how do I make them stronger?

I'v never tried changing anything in Colonization. If its different from Civ4, then I have no idea. Sorry :sad:

Who is Dale, and why'd you say this mod, when you didn't actually post it here?

Dale created the mod "Age of Discovery II", and this is the forum dedicated to that mod.

And Dale can primarily be found on the site WePlayCiv, and is no longer actively involved in modding Civ 4. Or maintaining his projects.

Are you changing the XML files and then going right back to your game?

This might not work, because the DLL writes certain XML data- like unit data- to the save game. I'm not really sure why it does this, but this is why patches that change the DLL can break save games (or related to it).

Try a new game, and worldbuilder yourself a Regular.

I see. Thank you.

Yes, I changed the XML files and then went right back to my game. I knew it might not work, but it really was the only option with that particular game.

I'll try Worldbuilder and a new game. Thanks.

so i just began my first war of independence and noticed the same thing as the original poster: the REF is terribly weak. if this change was deliberate i find it strange that there doesn't seem to be an announcement of it anywhere. what seems to be happening is that soldiers and dragoons have only their modified strength: i.e., a unit assigned to the soldier profession gets +1 strength, and a unit assigned to the dragoon profession gets +2 strength. it's as if the king's units have 0 base strength instead of the usual 2.

i'm afraid i don't know the first thing about modding so as to go in and fix it myself. i was curious though as to whether anyone knows if this change was deliberate or if it's a bug. additionally--and i suppose this should be mentioned in the AoFD bug thread--when a stack contains only the king's soldiers, instead of seeing soldiers i see this strange little rounded tent with varying patterns, including the aztec shield pattern, etc.

I was playing this mod a month ago for a while, and it just happened the same to me, the independence war was terribly easy, I did regret having prepared so well, and felt that I could have done it on the run, I played several games in it, and all the wars were too easy, neddless to say that anyway is far way better than vanilla game, improves the game but might still have work to do, a pitty that Dale isn't working on it anymore.

Recently I gave a try to another mod of this forum called DoaNE http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=367 , and I'm enjoying it a lot, the developers are still working and improving it, and it brings new things to the game.

It worths trying it at least

Greetings

Top Bottom