reformation and byzantine

rogue131

Byzantine Historian
I understand there are mods floating everywhere for this. But Rhye, I trust your judgement. Is there a mod out there that has Protestantism as a religion, to intensify European religious wars, but yet still keeps Judaism for the potential of Israel standoff in the Middle East. Also I was wondering if there is one that should a player have a late 600AD start, the Byzantine and Holy Roman Empire exist side by side. Thanks.

To my knowledge (and I have researched a lot before starting my own modmod), there is no modmod that has both Protestantism and Judaism in it.

There is a modmod that allows playable Byzantines (look for TDK's "Playable Byzantines 610 AD" scenario, it's on the RFC main page). The HRE is only represented by Germany there though, as in usual RFC.

Hmmm. I really need to learn how to Mod, how hard would it be to just clown Christianity. Use the same movie and such, change the names for one. One religion is protestantism and one is Christianity. Protestantism spawns from Printing Press? The HRE to Germany wouldn't be bad. How's the Byzantines play on that mod?

You'd have to change a lot to the game's "framework" if you want an additional religion. Graphics are not the problem, they could certainly be borrowed from other modmods like RFCEurope.

I like TDK's Byzantium modmod very much and achieved the UHV once. It's not the most historical UHV, but challenging in an out-of-the-box kind of way. It has some interface problems, however.

You'd have to change a lot to the game's "framework" if you want an additional religion.
I don't have half a grasp of this stuff, yet, so what do you mean? For example? (Like, is the number of religions hard-coded? For other than the Religion Advisor?)

Hm, maybe we should start a german modmod team ;)
Spoiler :
Ernsthaft, habt ihr Interesse?

One of my ideas is automatic city spawn for AI.
Why not have the first Germany be The Holy Roman Empire, and then change the Civilization type to (modern) Germany in mid-game? Because you should do this with Python with the latest RFC Epic/Marathon release! :eek: (Or you could just do it with PyScenario. :D) Personally I'd probably make the AI HRE collapse somewhere along the line, and script a respawn as Germany proper in the 1900th century. I'm not sure how I'd handle the human player though...

I don't have half a grasp of this stuff, yet, so what do you mean? For example? (Like, is the number of religions hard-coded? For other than the Religion Advisor?)
I meant the Religion Advisor, but other aspects seem to be hardcoded as well (like the religion symbols).

But then you're basically talking about graphics and interface, right?

Yeah. I don't think anything stops you from simply adding another religion to the XML.

SoI has 8 religions, so here's the deal:

- Unfortunately, in RFC there's a hardcoded civSpreadFactor array in the DLL, with 7 elements per civ. With 8th religion, the DLL will try to reference a non-existing element, which generally results in a crash. So in order to add the 8th religion you have to extend civSpreadFactor array by 1, fill in religion spreads, and recompile the DLL.

- Advisor is all Python: just a few numbers need to be changed in CvReligionScreen.py and CvMainInterface.py.

- Symbols are in tga fonts in consecutive order.

Forgive me for being ******ed, but what did you just say?

I think he basically said that you must know some C++ programming - and to be able to recompile a new DLL file. For starters...

If you only "understand railway station" (;)), I suggest you make yourself familiar with XML and Python first, if you've not already done so, and try to figure out how everything belongs together in Rhye's mod.

Oh, I see

I'm actually interested in Removing Daoism, and instead placing Protestenism in the game, would anyone else be interested in this?

Does the existing Reformation mod-mod need to be updated to the final cut/RFC Marathon?

I remember vaguely I had to change it somewhere when I ported it to RFCM. Although I can't pin it down looking at the Religion.py file now ...

Does the existing Reformation mod-mod need to be updated to the final cut/RFC Marathon?

I mean, all I want to do, is use the Reformation mod-mod, but instead of replacing Judaism, I want to replace Daoism, would it be THAT hard?

The problem with any kind of effective modding is and remains that you pretty much need to be able to compile the DLL file. This might sound like not-such-a-big-deal but to someone who has never compiled anything - like me - it is a pretty huge hurdle to overcome. I for one don't even have the stamina to tackle this any time this year. (I've been putting it off for a full year now, actually. I might go for another year. We'll see...)

But once you've managed to do it once - after some considerable head-scratching I presume - it shouldn't be any kind of a big deal anymore. Even if you still won't understand any of it. :p (You simply repeat the same set of actions every time.)

If you're looking into giving this a try, there is actually a current thread on this on the main modding forum. I for one can't follow along with any of it, thats all I have to say about it. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom