Regarding the Lost city of Atlantis artifact.

KAZUY4

Warlord
How cool it is? probably one of the best artifact in the map and I'm always trying to get it even if I need to rush Navigation sometimes.
But, How to take full advantage of this artifact?
First of all a reminder, this artifact will give you 3 techs that you do not have, but what is the trick? The techs that you receive are the lowers in the tech tree, so if you moving forward in the tech tree and you find this artifact this will give you techs that you did not research like masonry or things like that because probably you do need those even when the time to research them is low.
Anyway the advice is... if you find the Lost city, wait a little bit and check you tech tree, see which low age techs you did not research and rush them. Switch you cities to science, finish with those techs so by the time you get the Lost city , you will receive some nice advance techs.
Just be careful, if you see you opponent getting close, just take it :mad:

How cool it is? probably one of the best artifact in the map and I'm always trying to get it even if I need to rush Navigation sometimes.
But, How to take full advantage of this artifact?
First of all a reminder, this artifact will give you 3 techs that you do not have, but what is the trick? The techs that you receive are the lowers in the tech tree, so if you moving forward in the tech tree and you find this artifact this will give you techs that you did not research like masonry or things like that because probably you do need those even when the time to research them is low.
Anyway the advice is... if you find the Lost city, wait a little bit and check you tech tree, see which low age techs you did not research and rush them. Switch you cities to science, finish with those techs so by the time you get the Lost city , you will receive some nice advance techs.
Just be careful, if you see you opponent getting close, just take it :mad:

i think its better in multiplayer because most people are trying to get one particular tech, and not worrying about the others, so the lost city will make them catch up to the others

Is good in both. SP + MP.

build a Great Library and avoid some of this so when you get to atlantis it's not a big deal.

Great Library is good only when you are late in tech, otherwise there are a lot of more important wonders to construct.

ahh, so that's what's happening. I started a game with the Russians and got a silly good science early in the game and somehow I got Construction without researching it. Nice :)
Any idea about when this kick in?

I think for sure an AI has to have the tech (so higher levels actually can be much better for this reason).

You don't have to know that AI (or any for that matter) as I've seen this happen while isolated.

You need a healthy amount of research a turn. Not sure the exact cut off. I know someone has proposed that you need enough to research the tech in 1 turn, but in my experience I've needed more than that.

Ok, that makes sense. I was playing at Deity level and was going pretty focused down the tech-tree, ignoring a lot of the early techs. I think I was generating like 300 research pr turn when I started noticing some techs disappearing from my tech-selection. Construction was one of them, Iron Working and one more.

Ok, this is the way it works. There are two phenomena involved in what you're saying here. These are:

a) backfilling
b) overflow

I'll explain these with examples.

a) backfilling

When the conditions are right, you will automatically complete research of certain techs. There are certain conditions that must be met in order for this to happen. Let say I'm generating 90 beakers per turn and I research something that costs 200. After 2 turns, I will have generated 180 beakers, meaning I'm only 20 off completing my research. On the next turn, the 20 are spent on completing my research, while the remaining 70 beakers "backfill" other techs I haven't researched, up to this value (in this case 70). So for example I may get bronze working for free. As I understand it, another civ HAS to have researched the tech for you to be able to backfill it. I'm not sure though on how it decides which tech to backfill for you, I think it just fills the earliest techs you haven't researched.

b) overflow

Using the example above, on my third turn, I've completed my tech, with 70 beakers to spare. As well as "backfilling" previous techs, these 70 beakers will also be turned into gold. So I will get a previous tech up to the value of 70 beakers + 70 gold.

I hope that makes sense to you all, and if there's anything important I missed out, hopefully someone will add it in for me.

Thx a lot for the info. Everything starts to make perfect sense now, because I have also been wondering about why I sometimes generated gold with all cities on science (and before you get the +5 gold pr city bonus stuff). Now back to the game and grow that mega science city!

You can't just make a statement like that. If you think it's not how it works, and you're going to say that, then surely you also have to provide your take on how it works.

I like to implement Atlantis right when I'm going research Invention and University.

These two technologies are incredibly powerful when timed correctly. On will give you an advanced tech (with Oxford University) the other with Leonardo's workshop will upgrade your entire army. Each one of those presents a suitable advantage where you should be able to take out at least one other civ on the map. If not everyone.

You can't just make a statement like that. If you think it's not how it works, and you're going to say that, then surely you also have to provide your take on how it works.
Yes I can. I don't have to prove a different theory just to disprove yours.

I have evidence that makes me think your claim of how it works is not correct. I'm 90% sure I've backfilled techs while in the middle of a research project. I can't test it until thursday because I'm out of town.

Well, you can make a statement against my theory, but without evidence, you clearly can't "disprove" anything. I'm not saying I'm definitely wrong and you're definitely right, and the last thing I want is an arguement on a forum. Hopefully you'll provide the required evidence and we'll all be a little clearer on how things work.

atlantis is great to catch up on techs that u missed if you for example rush tanks(i do that alot). Now u have tanks and now u want to reseach some thing else. That new tech u want nedds the lower tech u missed. then finding atlantis save u a lot of turn of research. (i no from experience)

Top Bottom