Regarding this "1 UPT" nonsense...

G-Max

Deity
Rhye's world map is made to such a scale that the entire Army of mainland China could fit into the area represented by a single tile. So remind me... why is 1 UPT supposed to make any kind of logical sense?

Here are my replies in order of importance:

It does not.
It can not.
It will not.
I agree with you completely.

However, this is not the civ 5 forum.
Is there even a Rhye's map for civ 5?
If not, than you must be playing civ4 with a 1UPT mod. And if so can't you just play the map with said mod?

All in all unless you provide any details more about what you meant to say. No one can understand it.
As now this just sounds like a rant vs the whole 1UPT frenzy that is sweeping the civ4 forums as Panzer General fan boys try and remake the civ4 in its image.

But if that is the case, I salute you.

I agree with, well both of you I guess, I don't know why 1UPT is getting so popular. I think it is one of the most annoying features CiV has, and I don't understand why so many people are trying to port it to CIV when it obviously makes no sense for that game (I hardly think it makes sense for CiV to be honest).

I think he is mainly complaining about the frenzy you speak of, and that people want to port it over to RFC. I hope they don't, because to me it is a waste of time and honestly has no place in CIV at all. :goodjob:

However, this is not the civ 5 forum.
Is there even a Rhye's map for civ 5?
If not, than you must be playing civ4 with a 1UPT mod.

My replies:
- I'm well aware of that
- I have no idea. I haven't played Civ5.
- No, I'm not. I'm just sick of hearing how badly "everyone" wants a 1 UPT mod for Civ4.

Here are my replies in order of importance:

It does not.
It can not.
It will not.
I agree with you completely.

I disagree with the agreeing, but besides that...

I wonder why never ever anyone complained about that 6000 years for a single leader is way too much...

Are you implying that Barack Obama isn't really 6,000 years old?

I too don't understand why they added a 1 UPT in Civ5. It makes no logical sense, besides making it easier to kill off enemy units and prevent a siege.

From the looks of it, some units represent 10,000+ soldiers. The tiles represent what I'd say is 40-50 miles in width. This makes me wonder why it's only 1 UPT, considering there are cities smaller than 40 miles with over 5 million people.

So, I think we can rule out realistic size scales.

If you would allow me, I will now present my vision of the whole 1UPT thing and how it developed in CIV.

I don't have CIV5, and I will not be buying it. But I have read about it. And I know why they implemented 1UPT into it.

They implemented it because it was a bad solution to a misunderstood problem. And the problem in turn was just another bad series of solutions to a problem they could not solve.

Civ 4 has a problem. That problem is that the AI has the mental capacities of a ******ed 2 year old that is button mashing while blind folded and sedated.

So to correct that, they gave the AI a lot of bonuses. Among these is cheaper unit maintenance.

This in turn caused the AI to build huge stacks of doom that would become unstopable and were considered lame by most players. (I say most becouse I quite like them. :lol:)

So when they started making CIV 5, they were swamped with complains about the bad AI and the SOD's and they decided to find some other solution to the problem of brain dead AI.

So they went the way of 1UPT.

So they went from one extreme to another. All the while dancing around the problem without actually fixing it.

The SOD's were not the problem, just a more or less fun symptom of it.

The same goes for the 1UPT.

And no mater what they do it does not and will not mater. Becouse they have failed to do the one thing they should have done in the first place. Make a competent AI.

However, the people here have read the reports and goten fired up like fangirls at a rock concert. So they imediately jumped into action without thinking.

Hence, Civ 4 got 1UPT as well.

I really don't understand why SODs are so hated, I like battling it out with stacks, there is a good element of strategy to it as well. It is all about match-ups. I have been playing Civ5 and I just don't see how the 1UPT thing is an improvement at all. It makes absolutely no sense.

Then theres this:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

AI bonuses towards unit and maintenance, resulting in a Blob of Death.

Courtesy of PieceofMind.

The jury's out for me. For example, I really liked 1UPT in the old Pirate's game, where each unit had a different ability and you moved them all on a turn based system, with terrain providing advantages. Like Chess. The problem is the AI 1) doesn't know how to do it well and 2) builds so many units that they're everywhere. Nip those two problems in the bud and you could have a lot of fun with battle lines and ranged units.

I'm using something similar in my Civ4 Panzer General mod and it seems to work pretty well. Most plots hold two units, some more, some less. Things like improvements, features, roads, and cities can change the number by a small amount. I just modified one section of code in the SDK that determines if a unit can move onto a given plot. The AI seems to handle things pretty well.

can you just make each unit so expesive to maintain? so each country will only have 10-20 units in total?

can you just make each unit so expesive to maintain? so each country will only have 10-20 units in total?

Yes that could be done if you are talking about the regular game. If you are talking about my mod the answer is no, because there is no maintenance cost for units in my mod. There can't be - there isn't any gold. The number of units is limited by other things. You get a limited number of units to start each map, you can also build a limited number of units with factories, and you get the rest of your units by spending reinforcements points. You cant get a lot of reinforcement point unless you sacrifice other things like researching for better units and building units with factories.

Yes that could be done if you are talking about the regular game. If you are talking about my mod the answer is no, because there is no maintenance cost for units in my mod. There can't be - there isn't any gold. The number of units is limited by other things. You get a limited number of units to start each map, you can also build a limited number of units with factories, and you get the rest of your units by spending reinforcements points. You cant get a lot of reinforcement point unless you sacrifice other things like researching for better units and building units with factories.
That's a much better idea, but more difficult to mod though (to me at least). I will just let the money talk!:lol:

I'm using something similar in my Civ4 Panzer General mod and it seems to work pretty well. Most plots hold two units, some more, some less. Things like improvements, features, roads, and cities can change the number by a small amount. I just modified one section of code in the SDK that determines if a unit can move onto a given plot. The AI seems to handle things pretty well.
You hardly count toward what we are talking about.
You are making a total conversion.

It is just a game. And a rather new game. I'm quite sure that as the time passes the AI will be improved and other problems will be fixed.
I personally like 1UPT. It's something new in Civ. (Well I don't have Civ5.)
And remember civ is quite moddable, it helps you to remove or change things you don't like.

Then theres this:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

AI bonuses towards unit and maintenance, resulting in a Blob of Death.

Courtesy of PieceofMind.

hOLY moley!

So the only way for one of your units to cross one of these maps is to "mow the grass" through all the silly little units that are in the way?

If you had one of the best units in Civ 5, the awesomely lame named "Giant Death Robot of Death!" you would have to waste time wading through warriors or whatever someone puts in your way to be able to move across one of those messes of a map!

Top Bottom