Regenerating the map

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Rabbit_Alex, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

I was wondering how long does it usually take to regenerate the map? I just tried it the first time today and I let it run for 5 minutes before I realized it froze my computer. I have 1 Gig of ram so I know it's not low on memory.

Any tips how to make it work?

2. Nieldo

Nieldo Chieftain

A few seconds for me

3. Nilrim

Nilrim Warlord

Humm you must have some kind of bug, takes me about 2 secs to regen a map, I do it offten enough and have had no problems with it. Maybe it was just a glitch have you tried it more then once?

4. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

Thank you both for the fast reply. I've tried it 5-10 times now and I keep getting froze up. Sometimes it freezes my machine outright, other times it just freezes the game so I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out of it. I'm going to try different size maps and see if that makes a difference. I always play on Huge size maps.

5. Cosine

Cosine Chieftain

How do you regen the map, is this during game play? or in the World Builder?

6. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

You regen the map by hitting ESC while playing to open the menu, then hit the "Regenerate Map" button. It gives you a new starting location on a brand new map.

I just tested regenerating on different size maps. On a duel size map, it took me just a few seconds. On Huge, it took up to 30 seconds or so. Maybe it was just a random bug when it froze up before?

Thanks

7. Rane Khan

Rane Khan Chieftain

Size matters; for me Huge takes about a minute while standards are done within seconds.

8. Rayjr

Rayjr Chieftain

I didn't even know you could do that..... thats really cool cause I am a restart guy.... If I don't like my location I start over. now I am assuming it takes you right back to 4000bc with all the setting you had just punched in right.

9. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Regenerate map causes a complete freeze up for me as well, but I haven't found anything that fixes it.

10. jar2574

jar2574 Prince

That sucks. I use the regenerate map a lot. Have you guys reported this in the bugs forum?

11. caknuck

caknuck Chieftain

This only works before you have completed your first turn.

I have a system that barely meets the minimum requirements, and it takes 30-45 seconds to regenerate a Huge map, no crashes or lock-ups.

12. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

Full specs on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9100 I bought last year for college) are:

3.2 Ghz P4 (I know the data path width is smaller than the desktop version but it still rocks)
    1 GB DDRRAM
    Radeon 9100 Mobile 128 MB

I hope that someone with a similar system will report a similar time for regenerating the map.

I can play Battlefield 2 with the graphics almost all the way up just fine.