Relationships?

Hanno

Chieftain
Hi. I haven't got civIII yet, but i intend to get it. I would like to know how the different relationship differ from each other: Peace, Mutual Protection (I find THAT hard to believe) Right of passage, and a military alliance. Oh, and if there anyone how, by any chance, would know, WHEN WILL CIVIII APPEAR IN SOUTH AFRICA???

:) Peace Treaty - stops any wars going on between 2 rival civs (at least until the AI decides to stab you in the back again).

:love: Mutual Protection Pact - if your buddy civ gets attacked, they call on you to help them by declaring war on the attackers. In theory, if you get attacked, your buddies will declare war on the aggressors. In practice, the AI hardly lifts a finger to help the human player out (at least that's my experience).

:goodjob: Right of Passage - a friendly civ has the right for it's units to pass through your borders without causing a war. Likewise, you can do the same with your units in their territory.

:soldier: :soldier: Military Alliance - Two friendly civs declare a third civ to be part of an Axis of Evil and they go to war on it.

:confused: When will Civ3 come to South Africa? As soon as South Africa can win a test cricket match against Australia! :D

Provided you haven't broken any trade agreements or been at war for a long period of time, signing a right of passage or mutual protection pact will give a boost in relations as well. A right of passage often changes the AI's attitude from annoyed to polite, while a MPP will change to gracious as soon as you go to war and begin losing troops to a common enemy.

Having a right of passage and a military alliance at the same time, will usually turn your ally to gracious.

Exporting/importing luxuries has a similiar effect.

Whats the difference between a polite rival and an annoyed one? Not a heck of a lot. :) If you're militarily weak, you can be attacked by even your oldest and most trusted friends. Sometimes, they just get tired of your face and attack you regardless of how strong/weak their military is. ;)

Originally posted by Dinorius R.
:love: Mutual Protection Pact - if your buddy civ gets attacked, they call on you to help them by declaring war on the attackers. In theory, if you get attacked, your buddies will declare war on the aggressors. In practice, the AI hardly lifts a finger to help the human player out (at least that's my experience).

That's been my experience too. I attribute it to the AI being hopeless at attacking itself, not to a lack of trying. Besides, even if they don't do anything else useful, by declaring war on your enemy they have to cut off trades, which can be very helpful.

Top Bottom