1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Relic from a goody hut

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by HoTT-NiXX, Aug 27, 2016.

1. HoTT-NiXX

HoTT-NiXX Chieftain

Not sure if this is already posted somewhere but the video below shows the players pop some relic from a goody hut that gives 4 faith. Any word on whether great works of art will all have special properties like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZtqZeTy98

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Probably. We've seen a number of great works, Relics being one of them, Archeological from Dig Sites being another, plus the three Great People ones (Art, Music and Literature)

3. Thunderfist

Thunderfist Chieftain

Nobody has gone into great depth on great works yet, but that seems highly likely. Since great works are receiving more attention now than in Civ V & can be bought/sold/traded or outright stolen by spies, it seems most reasonable that they will now benefit more than just X-amount of culture per turn for the owner. Also, there are different categories of Great Works of Art now (like Sculptures, Religious Art, etc...) which makes it seem even more likely that they will each produce a slightly different bonus from each other. I may come across a screenshot of someone mousing over a great work and see what information the tooltip provides. I'll try to clarify if I manage to do that.

4. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Yeah, I actually prefer this to the simple "get x faith from hut"

6. Silverdawn

Silverdawn Prince

I expect they are going to need to balance the diplomacy more for the relics. Several players had found them and in each of those games other civs kept on asking them to trade them for small amounts of gold (like 20). Seems like a human player would never give them away for gold (you might swap them), and if they put the gold number at a level that might be reasonable it would seem like an exploit when these appear so early.

7. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Prince

Everything older than one hour was already posted here :D

8. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I'm not thrilled about this. The +4 faith per turn from the relic (which was totally random luck) far outpaces the +2 faith per turn they could get from building an early Shrine. I think it really minimizes the strategic element in the game if the bonuses you happen to get randomly are more important than the things you choose to build in your city.

9. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

A bit much for a goody hut perhaps, but I hope this is the kind of thing we can find with archaeologists.

10. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

The random element was also present on civ5 huts. While it does seem like a lot of faith, if you are aiming to getting a religion you should probably place your district for maximum effect and build stonehenge. If you just want good faith yields, again, good palcement of the district. If you don't have a good placement, well, then it's going to take a while anyway.

To me its still better than civ5 where you could only build an early shrine, and thats it.

If there are other artifacts that give science, or culture, it's the same scenario, perhaps you get a culture one, you may be able to trade it for the faith one.

11. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

It's not as effective as Stonehenge, sure, but 4 faith per turn is huge. Double that of a shrine. The player who stumbles onto one of these has a much more effective religion game than the player who builds a shrine, and that just doesn't sit well with me.

I know that Civ V had really powerful huts, too. Popping a faith or culture ruin made a huge difference in that game. In my opinion, though, this is bad design. Random events like that shouldn't overshadow the decisions the player is making to build shrines or monument or whatever, but they definitely did in Civ V.

12. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

I agree with CaiusDrewart

13. Acken

Acken Deity

Those goody hut relics looked really OP from the footage I've seen. I don't even know how someone can think it's a good thing for a strategy game. Huts lack of balance have always been bad, like civ5 +1 pop hut vs discover barbarians (lol) but these +X faith +X tourism relics take the cake.

I hope it's an early build thing or that it will only be available on settler difficulty like free settlers and free workers like civ5.

14. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

It should be small rewards, if any +X Ressource-per-turn maybe only +1? Its total value amounts to X multiplied by the total number of turns in the game... it's huge! I feel like it should be less than what a building provides. The player's decisions should weigh at least quite a bit more than the random elements. Plus, if the huts are too strong it maximises emphasis on scouting as early and as much as possible (scout race) so that it reduces the value of other choices you could make at start, such as delaying building scouts / not building scouts / keeping exploring units nearer your area.

15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Obviously if Teddy is obsessed with acquiring it from the player it has to be good. It's a reasonable way to get relics and the only downside is maybe it will make AIs jealous?

16. Thunderfist

Thunderfist Chieftain

Actually, with Montezuma being obsessed with having more luxury resources than everyone else, it seems very reasonable that some unannounced Civ will have an agenda revolving around great works/relics/artifacts in a similar fashion.

17. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

For those who don't want to watch the entire rambling eye painful video go to 9.25 in it.

18. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

1 faith per turn would be acceptable I should think. It certainly shouldn't provide more than a shrine.
    However I would think that increasing the faith & tourism value per era would be interesting.

That way relics increase in value over time - much like in real life....
    Perhaps +1 faith and +1 tourism per era?

19. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

I fully agree. My hope is that the loot table for goodie huts wasnt finale and this was just an error in the build.

+4 faith from a relic is a holy district with 3 adjacency bonuses. Almost equals stonehenge. Or has more value than a basic holy district plus shrine. It s insanely op.

Also. A relic in 4000 bc doesnt make much sense.

20. chaotoroboto

chaotoroboto Warlord

They were playing on Prince. Can't you still get free settlers from huts on prince in 5?