relics - is this how you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakaKhan

King
So I only know of three ways to create relics.
1.) find them in huts
2.) Kandi
3.) martyred apostle.

all three seem to pretty unreliable sources because

1.) I play with huts off. Even if they were on, it's completely luck based, small percentage of huts yield them, and the AI beats you to most of them since they have more units. Furthermore, you can only house 1 of them (except Kongo) until you have temples, and almost all huts are gone by then.
2.) where to start - need to be lucky enough to have the CS in the game, need to find them before finding most of the NW's, need to stop exploring until you gain Suzy status, and even then there's a finite quantity of relics to create.
3.) making a unit for the purpose of losing it is counterproductive. Also, you kill your own religious presence in the area.

However, it seems that killing your own apostles seems to be the most reliable method of getting relics. Often there's a high density of one religion in one part of the world, and a high density of another religion far away in another part of the world. It seems that moving an apostle into the other "gang territory" is the best way to reliably create relics. Right?

Technically, you could kill other civs' Martyred Apostles and when that generates a Relic for them, trade for it.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to see what promotions another players' units have so it makes it hard to know which Apostles have Martyr.

Also, you can use all but 1 charge of your Apostles and then get him/her killed off for Martyr. With no other bonuses, you can still spread 2 times and then Martyr (only losing 1 spread in the process).

Hagia Sophia can provide another charge. Mosque can provide another. There are also two promotions that can provide 2 or 3 additional charges (the latter after visiting a Natural Wonder). If you have Yerevan in the game, you can consistently choose these promotions.

If you are still getting 4-7 spreads before Martyring your Apostle, that is still well worth it.

Build Mont St. Michel. All Apostles will have Matyr Ability.

I don't know what games you're playing, but I find the AI seems to avoid huts at all costs. I've gone 150 turns into a game and popped the hut that is less than 10 tiles away from the AI. Even dumb luck feels like they should have popped it. Now, I do agree that it's pretty random if you get a relic from them. I've gotten a free relic on something like turn 5 once before, and it's just insanely strong, since then you can avoid the God King card to get your pantheon.

As for martyring them, one strategy that seems to work well for me is to use my apostles in the open ocean. I'm playing continents now, and while I've spread my religion to my whole continent (just 2 of us now), the other side of the world is currently spending some effort to spam their missionaries across the ocean. But I find that an apostle can probably kill about 2 missionaries before dying, and if you do it in the middle of the water, the religious pressure sometimes will only hit 1 city.

Another option is taking the belief that causes you not to lose religious pressure when you lose the religious combat. If you want relics but don't want to lose your religion, that could be a decent belief to choose.

Relics are incredibly good so yes they are rare.

Fighting with martyrs is definitely the best way to consistently get them.

If you have a gang of Apostles going after Missionaries, you can generally kill 2-3 Missionaries for each Apostle you lose. If you are in the opposing religion territory, every time you kill a Missionary is like a spread to any city withing range. As was said earlier, you can spend all your religious spreads first, and then with only one spread remaining, send the Apostle off into combat. This method will allow you to convert several cities at the same time that you are generating Relics through attrition.

While all of the above is true, I expect something to change about relics soon. They are difficult to get, extremely powerful for the religious and cultural game and it's all pretty swingy.

If you happen to not have any serious opposition in terms of faith, you can't even martyr your own apostles reliably.

My bet is that temples will get an additional slot or shrines may get one and relics will be created with great prophet points after you have a religion.

My bet is that temples will get an additional slot or shrines may get one and relics will be created with great prophet points after you have a religion.

That is a really solid idea. Not sure about shrines needing a slot, but GPP doing something feels right

If this happens, relics would need to be dialed back in power I think. Or subject to loss by pillaging a Holy site.

Well, this way you build an actual prophet :hmm:Should get extra beliefs for that or something :D

It'd be a heck of an achievement.

If Great Prophets give you relics after creating religions, then it's not that Relics will need a nerf, it's Reliquaries that will need it. And probably Kongo/Poland/Russia too.

Is there a limit on the number of relics you can generate in one game? From the wiki, it looks like there are only 9 different ones, so can there be duplicates?
Also, what happens if you would have created a relic (via Kandi/martyred apostle) but don't have the space to store it? Do you just miss out?
Last question: what would happen to relics that are in a captured city that is razed? (Or any great work in that city, for that matter)

AFAIK, the number is limited, just like Great Works. Dunno the answer to your other questions, though.

Can you finish all the names? and which one is a false relic?

Ark....
Beard...
Blood...
Book...
Footprint ....
Finger...
Grass...
Holy...
Philosophers...
Robes ...
Saint Auberts ....
Sandals.....
Shroud....
Silk....
Splinter ....
Stone ....
Tooth....

It would be a hard challenge to get all 16, I got 11 once.

I ran out of Relic slots (so a couple of Apostles died with no Relic) in my Cultural VC trial. When this happened, I built Holy districts and rush bought Shrines and Temples in several more cities to continue the collection. I dunno how many I ended up with in the end, but I think they did start to have duplicates IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom