Religion and Hell

I know a priest (yes, an official one) that litteraly says that hell and heaven don't exist, that they are just concepts made by the church themselves to make the people do good (or at least attempt). Among other things: he's also pro condoms and for allowing gay marriage.

I know a priest (yes, an official one) that litteraly says that hell and heaven don't exist, that they are just concepts made by the church themselves to make the people do good

Whoo. Claiming that they are metaphoric is one thing, claiming that they are invented by church is another thing altogether.

Every Christian denomination, and just about every Christian, has at leasta slightly different view on the matters from the others. There's no "official Christian belief" on the matter, it's a spectrum.

This question does show up a lot here on OT, but I have never seen any indication that the people who ask the question (or some who answer) have learned anything from the previous threads.

That's because people here prefer arguing to learning. It's quite sad really.

Nah, he justs has another interpretation of the Bible, he doesn't take it litterally. Ie. he calls himself a Christian because he follos the Christian ideals (no idea what he means with that though) and believes in a watching and friendly God, that doesn't punish as he just wants the best for us.

In Church he does whatever another Priest would do, except that after a text from the Bible he'll usually mention the meaning behind it.

That's because people here prefer arguing to learning. It's quite sad really.
I wasn't aware that the questions I asked in the OP have been asked before :confused:.

I would guess atheism.

:confused:

suiraclaw said:
Nah, he justs has another interpretation of the Bible, he doesn't take it litterally. Ie. he calls himself a Christian because he follos the Christian ideals (no idea what he means with that though) and believes in a watching and friendly God, that doesn't punish as he just wants the best for us.

In Church he does whatever another Priest would do, except that after a text from the Bible he'll usually mention the meaning behind it.
Cool.

Whoo. Claiming that they are metaphoric is one thing, claiming that they are invented by church is another thing altogether.

It's entirely possible that a priest would be critical of religious authority. They don't just have to tow the line. What suiraclaw described is just his minister's particular interpretation of the subject at hand, and one that, I might add, is also held by my minister. So, it's not all uncommon, or even un-Christian.

I think God should bring us one or two eyewitness accounts from Heaven and Hell. Every person seems to have their own personal view of what those places are, and it would be nice if God clears this up once and for all... :worship:

Also, imagine the surprised look on a Christian if they blissfully entered the after-life only to be greeted by a pissed Zeus, ready to torment them in eternity for ignoring and not believing in him... :lol:

If you read Luke 16 you will see that this will not happen, since the evidence there in God's word and if they do not hear that, then they will not hear a person, even though he has been to hell and back.

I thought the whole point of Christianity was that Christ died to save all mankind?
What is the pont of him dying, if there is no punishment for those who do not believe?

What is the pont of him dying, if there is no punishment for those who do not believe?

To me, that's the difference between Christianity and Judaism, which is why I've always had a lot of time for Christianity (despite being pretty much an atheist); in Judaism God will smite you unless you believe in and listen to him, regardless of how well you live, and in Christianity, since nobody can ever say to God that they are worthy, God has the mercy to save everyone. That makes more sense to me, since you could never say that you were anything close to God in terms of being good.

Do you honestly believe that there must be punishment for those who believe in his supernaturaliyt for there to be a point to a death? :confused: :eek:

Many Christians I know of (not including this youth leader) believe that Jesus died for the sins of everyone, ergo everyone will go to heaven regardless of merit...

He died to remove original sin and open up heaven to us, it's still necessary to live a good life. If you're a douche you're still going to be punished or serve your time in Purgatory.

I imagine the idea of Hell is a massive turn off for many non-Christian-raised individuals who would otherwise consider converting, but not at the cost of convincing themselves that their whole family and many of their friends are damned if they don't convert too.

Then again, the two most successful religions do have that "infidels burn" mentality, so maybe Hell is a good scare tactic to keep those converts flowing.

in Judaism God will smite you unless you believe in and listen to him, regardless of how well you live
This is patently false.

Top Bottom