1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion and Hell

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dwaxe, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

I thought the whole point of Christianity was that Christ died to save all mankind?

2. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

No, that was Neo in the last Matrix movie.

3. suiraclaw

suiraclaw Hell is other people

I know a priest (yes, an official one) that litteraly says that hell and heaven don't exist, that they are just concepts made by the church themselves to make the people do good (or at least attempt). Among other things: he's also pro condoms and for allowing gay marriage.

4. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
  5. suiraclaw

Oh, sorry. Christian, more specific Catholic.

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Whoo. Claiming that they are metaphoric is one thing, claiming that they are invented by church is another thing altogether.

7. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

That's because people here prefer arguing to learning. It's quite sad really.

8. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I would guess atheism.

9. suiraclaw

Nah, he justs has another interpretation of the Bible, he doesn't take it litterally. Ie. he calls himself a Christian because he follos the Christian ideals (no idea what he means with that though) and believes in a watching and friendly God, that doesn't punish as he just wants the best for us.

In Church he does whatever another Priest would do, except that after a text from the Bible he'll usually mention the meaning behind it.

10. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

That's what every priest does. Catholic at least.

11. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

I wasn't aware that the questions I asked in the OP have been asked before :confused:.

12. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

:confused:

Cool.

13. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

It's entirely possible that a priest would be critical of religious authority. They don't just have to tow the line. What suiraclaw described is just his minister's particular interpretation of the subject at hand, and one that, I might add, is also held by my minister. So, it's not all uncommon, or even un-Christian.

14. holy king

holy king Deity

yeah, there are a few good apples.

15. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

If you read Luke 16 you will see that this will not happen, since the evidence there in God's word and if they do not hear that, then they will not hear a person, even though he has been to hell and back.

What is the pont of him dying, if there is no punishment for those who do not believe?

16. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

To me, that's the difference between Christianity and Judaism, which is why I've always had a lot of time for Christianity (despite being pretty much an atheist); in Judaism God will smite you unless you believe in and listen to him, regardless of how well you live, and in Christianity, since nobody can ever say to God that they are worthy, God has the mercy to save everyone. That makes more sense to me, since you could never say that you were anything close to God in terms of being good.

17. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

Do you honestly believe that there must be punishment for those who believe in his supernaturaliyt for there to be a point to a death? :confused: :eek:

Many Christians I know of (not including this youth leader) believe that Jesus died for the sins of everyone, ergo everyone will go to heaven regardless of merit...

18. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

He died to remove original sin and open up heaven to us, it's still necessary to live a good life. If you're a douche you're still going to be punished or serve your time in Purgatory.

19. sumit1207

sumit1207 Prince

I imagine the idea of Hell is a massive turn off for many non-Christian-raised individuals who would otherwise consider converting, but not at the cost of convincing themselves that their whole family and many of their friends are damned if they don't convert too.

Then again, the two most successful religions do have that "infidels burn" mentality, so maybe Hell is a good scare tactic to keep those converts flowing.

20. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

This is patently false.