1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion and Hell

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dwaxe, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Millman

Millman Mark the Magnificent

As a Universalist is it a crime to believe in everything? I mean, don't some gods claim to 'be' everything. So to believe in a god means to believe in everything including hell, heaven, muffins, whatever...so I don't know where this debate is going?

I have read the bible among others who make that claim. Do you see what kind of claim that is? And I don't let it interfere with my normal life. :D

2. holy king

holy king Chieftain

if you believe in everything you will soon find you believe a lot of contradictory things.
    what is the point of that?

3. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

Hell is a concept to scare those who's piety may apparently be "lacking" and religion enforces similar concepts to scare those into being more faithful/obediant. In my opinion.

4. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Moderator

How can you justify believing in everything?

5. Greizer85

Greizer85 Chieftain

I believe you cannot. :mischief:

6. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

He is the best priest in the world :p. If he was my priest, I may never have gone atheist (Don't really know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing, but in the end, the Salmon of Doubt would win. I guess).

7. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Idly, are you associated with the Michael S writing here?

8. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Idk, I think life in prison or execution would be more likely to discourage criminal behavior :p

Spoiler reference to other thread :
    That is how a virgin could go unmolested with gold through a whole country.

9. candle

candle Chieftain

really now ok let me put it to you this way. Does the bible not say that the all who enter into heaven come onto me. Does it not also say then again that Jesus is the way, the truth and the light. In order to recive the blessings of heaven you must first have faith taht the lord JEsus Christ is your savior. I would point this out to your youth pastor, and point out what he taught goes agasint the very bible itself.

10. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    I once read someone who pointed out that anyone who is kept from murdering only by fear of hell is basically a psychopath; although I am utterly convinced that such are a very small percentage of believers, I still think that if a fear of hell is the only thing keeping psychopaths in check, then so much the better.

11. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Bible is not everything. Parts of what Jesus is thought to have said was written hundreds of years after he died (by the Catholic Church and monks), and thus have no meaning whatsoever. And doesn't God/Jesus contradict himself as he says to share the blessing/love and turn the other cheek, but denying acess to the righteous and the benign just because they believe in other religion, and giving acess to the lesser ones just because they believe in his religion somewhat... mean?

If God is like that, even if he exists, I would refuse to worship him.

12. candle

candle Chieftain

god is a loving god if you worship him, he put man here with freewill to do as they pleased but the punishment for disobeying his law was clear. Jesus gave us all a freash start, we still sin but if you have faith in christ and christ alone your washed in his blood. The wages of sin is death, but you can have everlasting life in JEsus Christ. Thats not some childs joke. Thats true you must be washed in his blood, meaning babties under his name to enter into the kingdom of heaven

13. useless

No i am not.

14. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Job begs to differ.

15. candle

candle Chieftain

read the parable of job and come back k

16. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Um... right back atcha? :crazyeye:

17. useless

Reading's too hard i guess.

18. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I am baptized (In fact, since I am baptized Francisco, I have strange affinity with birds). I revere Jesus Christ but I don't worship him. There's no reason to. Can we do bad things just because if we worship Jesus Christ, we will have eternal life afterwards anyways? Can we get away with calling gays fags just because the bible says that they are sinners? Can we protest in front of a private school just because it was named after a gay despite him being a poet that changed American literature forever? Can we deny a person Professor ship just because that person is pro-choice? Can we tell a doctor who has spent all his life providing medical care to the poor in Africa that he is going to hell because he is an Atheist? If the answer is yes, does God deserve worship?

19. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Correction: You beg to differ on behalf of Job.

Job did not beg to differ. He quite explicitly continued to praise the Lord and rebuke those who did beg to differ.

In a nutshell, this.

20. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

What's a parable of job?

Edit: In fact, what is the job we are talking about again?