[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

It does, which leads me to conclusion (mentioned on forums too) it's might be the problem with game engine - hardware compatibility.
Sad news. Doesn't look like we'll be able to play.
First of all, make sure you have patched your game. If you got it from steam or GOG, then it should already be patched. It should say 1.01f or something like that.

If you bought it through steam/GOG, make a tech support request. GOG has windows 10 listed as supported system.

If so, there are no way to play the former version 2.5 either, but i can do.
I have system win 7, 64 bit and until version 2.5.1 no problems
That does sound like a problem with the mod itself. Maybe I just just plain play the game and see if it stays stable for me in the long run.

Out of curiosity I have checked if it happens on vanilla version.

It does, which leads me to conclusion (mentioned on forums too) it's might be the problem with game engine - hardware compatibility.
Sad news. Doesn't look like we'll be able to play.

Thanks for help Schmiddie and Nightinggale.

Have you re-installed the complete game? I had a problem with the game some years ago (don't remember the concrete issue) and re-installed the complete game. Afterwards all worked fine again.

Curious: Version 2.5.1.4 started (with xml-error) -> new game started -> after 3 turns ctd -> starting program again (with xml-error again) -> loading last autosave -> after that i could play without any error occouring

but:
by restarting Version 2.5.1.4 and loading the last savegame, ctd happens again, i load the savegame one turn before and i could continue.

Looks great!! New version 2.5.1.5 starts without xml-message, and the first turns running properly:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot!!!

I did delete the entire Religions_and_Revolutions folder in the mod folder before unzipping the 2.5.1.4 version. Does the game have a cache at another location?

For win 10 OS this is path to cache to clear : C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\cache

Also this location for the Game is sub-optimal:
New I downloaded and unzipped 2.5.1.4 now, after completely deleting the Religion_and_Revolution folder
E:\User1\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\Religion_and_Revolution
so that there were no leftovers from before.

The My Games folder can also cause problems. This is a much more stable location: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods. Drive letter is not important your E is as good as C or D etc..

For win 10 OS this is path to cache to clear : C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\cache

Also this location for the Game is sub-optimal:

The My Games folder can also cause problems. This is a much more stable location: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods. Drive letter is not important your E is as good as C or D etc..

I have not updated to Windows 10 and probably won’t for the next years. The game is installed in
J:\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization
and during installation the game itself created the folder
E:\User1\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization

It’s on E because I had moved the user folder to a Harddisk that I kept when I exchanged the older, smaller HD that Windows was installed on against a larger one.

And in neither location is a folder "cache"... :confused:

I have not updated to Windows 10 and probably won’t for the next years. The game is installed in
J:\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization
and during installation the game itself created the folder
E:\User1\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization

It’s on E because I had moved the user folder to a Harddisk that I kept when I exchanged the older, smaller HD that Windows was installed on against a larger one.

And in neither location is a folder "cache"... :confused:

there is an easy way to cache everytime you start the game:
In the mainfolder of civilization you choose the file "civilizationIV.ini" and look for the entry
"disable caching of file system" and the entry DisableFilecaching switch to "1" and save the file afterwards.

there is an easy way to cache everytime you start the game:
In the mainfolder of civilization you choose the file "civilizationIV.ini" and look for the entry
"disable caching of file system" and the entry DisableFilecaching switch to "1" and save the file afterwards.

The entry reads
Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

I don’t remember to have consciously disabled that. So 1 means no caching and would be the explanation for my game not having a "cache" folder?
And when I changed it to 0 the game should create a cache folder?

The "Problem" with caching enabled is, if the mod get manual updated, the cache and the "now different" mod can cause problems ...
So you musst every time you update the mod, change this to "non caching" -> load the game to flush/delete the cache -> change back to caching -> now you can play, till the mod get updated again.. not worth IMHO the 10sec faster game start with caching enabled ........

Regards

Hello,

now (with 2.5.1.5) it is a nice upgrade to 2.4 (stable and mostly bugfree ..)
The only problem i (and my friends) still have in multiplayer (only minor) is,
after an game load, on the other player (i am the Host) one msg appear multiple times (like which first words you will say to the nw colonie to get different bonuses) and after he have answerd this 10-15 times, the msg is finish and the game runs fine .... (maybe , we have reloaded in the past only by desyncs or if the client on the other side crashed, maybe this is an side effect of the crash/desync ? )
Playing the Steam version , Win 10 all players.

Regards and Thanks for an very nice Mod

Hi,

haved massive desyncs today .. every 3 or 4 turns ..
Save file included

Pass for players :
R-TEAM -> rr
Savage -> 1

Regards

Attachments

• R+S.7z
    848.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Short Update:

- freezing during round change (fixed by Nightinggale): Fixed.
- AI uses professionals as missionaries: to my view this is not a "bug" due to RaR, but based upon the bad AI of the game: Fixed.
- "In the Europe screen instead of buying "Experienced Line Infantry" it says "European Line Infantry". The problem with the latter is that it is not a profession (so cannot use it to teach in university cities e.g.) and more important it does not have nor get promotions" - issue solved, unit is now a "unitcombat_gun" unit and therefore can get promotions.
- founding father Benjamin Rush, should offer the promotion surgeon 1 for military units - but in fact everybody gets it, from settler to slave: Fixed - this issue was related to the fact, that every unit outside a colony has a combat class and all unity which are no military units get the class "melee" and therefore every unit got this promotion. I have reduced it to military units (gun and mounted) outside a colony.
- FF Nicolas de Villegagnon grants homeland guard promotion 1: Fixed - works properly now.

Last edited:
Short Update:

- freezing during round change (fixed by Nightinggale): Fixed.
- AI uses professionals as missionaries: to my view this is not a "bug" due to RaR, but based upon the bad AI of the game: Fixed.
- "In the Europe screen instead of buying "Experienced Line Infantry" it says "European Line Infantry". The problem with the latter is that it is not a profession (so cannot use it to teach in university cities e.g.) and more important it does not have nor get promotions" - issue solved, unit is now a "unitcombat_gun" unit and therefore can get promotions.
- founding father Benjamin Rush, should offer the promotion surgeon 1 for military units - but in fact everybody gets it, from settler to slave: Fixed - this issue was related to the fact, that every unit outside a colony has a combat class and all unity which are no military units get the class "melee" and therefore every unit got this promotion. I have reduced it to military units (gun and mounted) outside a colony.
- FF Nicolas de Villegagnon grants homeland guard promotion 1: Fixed - works properly now.

This is all certainly good, BUT
Why does the mod take so long to load?
Mod is loaded via a shortcut, registering the parameter Mod = (the path is in the disk's end)
On two nuclear computers, it runs for 3-5 minutes
At the Mononuclear 10 minutes
On the weakest computer starts up to 20 minutes

SUDDENLY:
If the mod copy to the folder with the game (with the replacement of files)
The game starts in 1 minute!
Even on the coffee machine)))
The only problem:
You can not select a vanilla version of colonization

Why is that?

Last edited:
The mod is extremly big, but I never needed longer than 20 seconds to load the mod. From the earliest version 1.3 some years ago up to 2.5. Irrespective of the fact the mod is loaded from the mod folder and irrespective what sort of PC I used.

Of Course the mod could be made a little faster in case we would make the mod files smaller - but this would be very much work. So I will not do that. On modern PC's the mod works fine and only on older systems the mod seems to need some more time to load. This is acceptable. We need to balance time for speed up loading and time for implementation of new features. I cannot comply with everybodies wishes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom