[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Version 2.6
When hovering the mouse pointer over the tasks a pioneer can do, a help text is shown that shows the expected result and in some cases a keystroke to start building the improvement.

Problem: The Lumbermill improvement displays <O>, just as the Lodge which means that someone who doesn’t know that may press O to build a Lumbermill and instead starts building a Lodge. It should either be a different key or no key at all (e.g. like the Trapperhut).

Edit: I don’t understand the resources shown in the display when hovering over the improvements.
e.g. a plot with forest/greenland and the timber resource is listed as giving 7 lumber (4+3).
When hovering the mouse over the icons to build improvements with a pioneer those display
+3 lumber for "Build a Lodge" and
+8 lumber for "Build a Lumbermill".
According to the Colopedia for plots with the Timber resource it should be +1 Lodge and +3 Lumbermill?
Does the "Build Lodge" icon perhaps display the additional timber of the Lumberjack Camp that the Lodge becomes only after 150 turns? Or does the Lumbermill not display the additional lumber but the total sum (4+3+1=8)?

Lumbermill.jpg

Last edited:
The improvements show additional ressources due to the improvement when hovering the mouse over it - i.e. Lodge grants +1 due to timber ressource and +2 for Forrest. Since Forrest gives + 4 without any improvements in total 7 when a lodge is built. A lumbermill grants ADDITIONAL + 5 timber on Forrest and additional + 3 due to the bonus ressource timber which in this case is on Forrest, i.e. in total additional +8 (5+3) due to the lumbermill. That means in total 12 in total when a lumbermill is built instead of a lodge. Please have in mind that the lumbermill is no direct upgrade of the lodge! As stated in the colopedia it can be built directly. Hope that helps.

Problem: The Lumbermill improvement displays <O>, just as the Lodge which means that someone who doesn’t know that may press O to build a Lumbermill and instead starts building a Lodge. It should either be a different key or no key at all (e.g. like the Trapperhut).

Thx for reporting. Has been fixed for the next update.

There's one thing I've noticed, and I have no idea whether it is fixable or not. The script FaireWeather for landmass generating has one issue. When distance from Europe is set to higher (6-8 cells), the script simply deals with it by converting some coastland into ocean. The result is that coast ends up being often hilly, and hard to settle...and many small bays and peninsulas that make great colony spots simply disappear.

This is bad because higher distance is I think very favourable for gameplay, as it allows proper naval combat and piracy. On standard distance, ships can make it from colony to high seas in one turn, reducing the chances of interception by pirates...

There's one thing I've noticed, and I have no idea whether it is fixable or not. The script FaireWeather for landmass generating has one issue. When distance from Europe is set to higher (6-8 cells), the script simply deals with it by converting some coastland into ocean. The result is that coast ends up being often hilly, and hard to settle...and many small bays and peninsulas that make great colony spots simply disappear.

This is bad because higher distance is I think very favourable for gameplay, as it allows proper naval combat and piracy. On standard distance, ships can make it from colony to high seas in one turn, reducing the chances of interception by pirates...
I just checked the code and what happens is this:
The map generator makes a map without Europe access plots. Next it loops all plots. For each water plot matching the min distance (7x7 for 3 plot distance, 9x9 for 4, 13x13 for 6 etc) where the current plot is in the center. It loops all the plots in the box and only if all of them are only water, then it will add a Europe access to the plot in question. This means from what I can tell, the land generation is independent from whatever distance you use.

Having said that, the map generator is quite large and I didn't examine all of it. How did you come to the conclusion that it alters the landmass?

Observation of multiple maps. The size might have something to do with it too, I play only on gigantic.

Lemme just generate a few, make some screenies and you can see the difference.

V2.6 (from May 28) a multiplayer game
It was approaching the sunset in 1669.
The boundaries of one of my city expanded and all the beasts from that continent,
migrated to the other (from the edge of the map to the center)
Before that I was destroying them there conquistador and an Indian with a gun
Do not pay attention to the date on this picture (just an earlier screenshot I did not find)

It's January 1670
1. The animals attacked a group of settlers (one mine, three Victor)
Six animals died
2. There was a seventh battle, attacked the wounded settler Victor
I decided to build a city at that moment
(While the settlers of Victor defended themselves)
3. at the time of Victor's fight with the settler and beasts
I founded a settlement, wrote its name, but
The settler of Victor died,

The detected bug (my version of the explanation of the event):
4 All the other settlers went over to the side of the animals, but since animals can not have settlers, they are killed.
(I do not know if this is so, everything happened very quickly)
My city was captured by animals, but since animals can not have a city life, it is destroyed

Happy end!

Last edited:
1: animals can only move on plots not owned by anybody. If somebody gains ownership of the plot it is standing on, it will move to the nearest unowned plot. Based on the screenshot it looks like there is only one unowned plot, meaning once you gain it, the nearest will have to be on another island. There isn't really anything we can do about it other than allowing animals in land owned by players, which leads to other problems.

2: Not sure what to say about that one. Normally once you start your turn, all the attacks planned by the AI will be displayed. Somehow you managed to build the colony before the combat display ended. When you build a colony, the animals will be moved away (in this case to the east) and they can't enter your land. This means the only way for them to attack your colony is if you build it while they are attacking. Considering how rare this is and how tricky (if not impossible) this is to fix, I will say it's likely not worth it to try to fix it.

This means the only way for them to attack your colony is if you build it while they are attacking.
That's exactly what happened.
Since we played in multiplayer and I have a slow defense (as well as Victor)
When attacking animals, I had time to establish a settlement.
But the settler Victor was killed, and I founded the settlement (I wrote the name)

I apologize for my English, I do not know him well

For some reason, after a certain era, animals disappeared into the sea
Marine animals disappeared, land animals remained

In 2.5.1 animals were throughout the game, i.e. It was possible to pump (for the killing of marine animals) for example a galleon (and give him an improvement that would travel faster)
So in this way, it was possible to pump pirates, long but really, before the fight with the frigate (friendly, without declaration of war)

Last edited:
And I would also like that the pirates could attack cities, or to be exact, forts.
As it was in reality, therefore I suggest that the privateer should have one warrior (and / or) two loads. A Frigate could place two (for example) (and / or) one cargo.
And for example, if there are no troops in the colony, then it can be captured by pirates)

And it turns out there is no sense to keep troops when you have peace with everyone.
Especially if the city on the island. But for some reason, people are constantly unreasonably rebelling.

Spoiler Example from MOD Age of Discovery II :
A ship with two pirates (do not pay attention to flags)

An example of a pirate attack

Here's how the pirate can look like

Last edited:
For some reason, after a certain era, animals disappeared into the sea
Marine animals disappeared, land animals remained

In 2.5.1 animals were throughout the game, i.e. It was possible to pump (for the killing of marine animals) for example a galleon (and give him an improvement that would travel faster)
So in this way, it was possible to pump pirates, long but really, before the fight with the frigate (friendly, without declaration of war)

Hm. all I can say that there have been no changes. Animals should be generally able to spawn at sea the whole game.

I checked the code and there isn't any code to disable animals when pirates arrive, at least not directly. Animals can spawn if the number of animals is below a certain threshold (depending on area size and difficulty level) while pirates has a fixed max. The problem appears to be that pirates are capped by the number of pirates explicitly while animals are capped by the number of barbarian units (including pirates). In other words pirates can block spawning animals while animals can't block spawning pirates.

The real solution would be to make animals count just animals, but that's easier said than done since the most obvious solution to the problem will be dead slow. I need to come up with something clever for this.

The Colopedia text of the Roper unit mentions that it needs docks or one of it’s upgrades to work, but already when a pier is built the picture in the cityscreen appears about the production of ropes and sailcloth.

Last edited:
I've noticed an odd thing. Along with removal of the melee professions, you removed melee units from various free promotions from FFs. The problem is, there is still one melee unit available to colonies-conquistadores-and they're getting pretty screwed by this.

v2.6
5 multiplayer games
Two were fully completed
Airbishop has not once proposed a war with the Indians, while the king offered war to Europeans for the whole game (1-3 times)

In v2.5.1, Airbishop offers war

In my game, gigantic/marathon singleplayer, I'm roughly at 1660's and had one request from king for war, and two from archbish. All ended with extermination of target....kinda feels like you get nothing for being too efficient, if you at least keep your target for war alive you will, sooner or later, get request for peace from king, getting you nobleman. Extermination of foreign power, while it should make your king happy, gets you nothing, save for some spoils of war.

Top Bottom