1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Religion and Revolution' started by raystuttgart, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Ognepoklonnik

Ognepoklonnik Chieftain

Good afternoon, "brave promotion" does not work in my game. I see it in the colopedia, I see it in xml, but I do not see it on the brave. I created many different games with different conditions and I do not see it.

2. HermanHeydt

HermanHeydt Chieftain

Dunno if this has been reported, since the forum is seriously HUGE.
    (I took a screendump but it did not take unfortunately)

Had an event where it said smth like:
    "The villagers have seeds for "red pepper plant" ....

The confirmation message for this said "coca plant" and it was impossible to aknowledge cause it was on a prairie hill.
    I could only decline (and yes I had more than enough money in previous and current turn)

The info message and confirmation does not match and the event is impossible to confirm as these things do not match.

FYI

3. devolution

devolution Chieftain

4. devolution

devolution Chieftain

@HermanHeydt
    There are several bugs related to python event processing/callbacks. If you have a save from the turn before (assuming that the random seed is not altered), I could have a look at it in the debugger.

5. Henrik SR

Henrik SR Chieftain

Hi Modders

I was so happy to find this mod coming back for a round of Col and to see that it is under active development is just brilliant and I cant wait to try it out.
    However, it crashes during startup and I wanted to post here in case someone has some suggestions.

HW:
    MacBookPro 15 inch 2016, 2.7 Ghz. Radeon Pro 455.
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Steam platform: Built: sept 6, 2017
    Colonization version: 101
    Save version: 2
    Build version: 1.0.0.1 (121000)
    Build Date: Jan 7 2015

Religion and Revolution version 2.6 unpacked in newly created mods folder.

The mod can be selected and the game attempts to restart but fails to so.
    I have not been able to find any info about the mod only being supported in Windows.

Any input is welcome!
    Thank you in advance.

6. devolution

devolution Chieftain

@Henrik SR Mods will not work (natively) in a Mac environment. However, it will work under Parallels\WMware or other similar virtualization methods. I am not aware of any Civ4\Col mod that will work under Mac, I am not totally sure but I guess that none has bothered to setup at Mac build chain. On the other hand I know that Civ4\Col (and mods) work just fine under Linux (using Wine), so that's another option if you don't want to run windows (I am pretty sure that Wine runs on Mac as well)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  7. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

The problem with the mac port is that it can't compile the DLL file as that's a windows thing. When Aspyr ran into that problem while porting, they decided not to turn the DLL into a dylib (dynamic library, which does the same as a DLL on windows), but rather pick the easy solution to link everything into the binary itself. This means it's technically impossible to make a mod for mac, which mods the C++ code. Mods without modifications to the DLL file should work, which is the main argument for mods using python only. Sadly all the good mods change the C++ code and this includes every single mod for Colonization as far as I'm aware.

If the mac version had support for dylib files, then I would have made one long ago. The best option is bootcamp and then play in windows. There are virtualization and while Parallels is great, it will be slower than bootcamp. There is wine, or to be more precise wine bottle (I think it's called) where you emulate a windows environment for just one game and make it run in what seems like native. Works great for some stuff, but it seems dead slow for the civ4 engine.

8. Hecur

Hecur Chieftain

The only problem i encounterd with wine is that you cant load a save game from the main menue. You always have to start a new game and then load your save game. I didnt saw any speed differences to windows

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. devolution

devolution Chieftain

@Nightinggale: I was not aware of the static linking, that is truly a ******** way to restrict the users from experiencing the real mods :(
    As for wine (WIne is Not an Emulator :p ), there is no noticeable difference in speed since there is no (re)interpretation of the assembly. It is true that DX shaders will have to be translated to GLSL, as for the DLL, it relies only on a fairly small subset of the WinAPI which is very performant, at least in my experience. I ran BTS in Wine for years, and some benchmarks even suggest that it is faster than on Windows

10. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

Aspyr has made some good and some not to good ports over the years and the civilization ones (particularly 4) are rather poor. Not just when it comes to static linking, but also regarding performance. If you play the very same vanilla game in bootcamp, you will have to wait shorter for the AI. While bashing versions, steam intentionally crashes the game if you attach a debugger. Of all the versions ever released, the DVD collection edition for windows appears to be ideal. I think GOG allows you to download the installer from the DVD. At least I copied the installer from the DVD to the HD and installed from there because DVD search time makes it a nightmare to install it directly.

11. HermanHeydt

HermanHeydt Chieftain

Unfortunately I do not save that much - and that save is not possible to dig up. Have also only had this event pop up 1 time during 20 playthroughs.
    Saving each turn seems to up the turntime alot.

Is this the only way to spot these bugs in future?

12. devolution

devolution Chieftain

I suppose that one could trigger the python event from the (python) cheat console, so no need for the savegame after all. Currently I am a bit too busy to explore this idea further :cry:

13. Gunther2

Gunther2 Chieftain

I want to thank you for this great mod. I have a savegame of the 2.5 version, which I want to continue. But I think I am suffering from the freezing bug. Is a download available where I can obtain the fix or the 2.5.1 patch.

14. devolution

devolution Chieftain

@Gunther2 : Can you check if the savegame works with 2.6, which is the latest release. If that's the case, I could have a look in the debugger.

15. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

That should not work. 2.5.1 and 2.6 are not compatible. A fix for 2.5. is not available.

16. Gunther2

Gunther2 Chieftain

Thanks for your replies. As expected, the savegame is not working with 2.6.
    I got around this the last time it occured, by destroying a certain AI city in the world builder.

Meanwhile I found an older .dll in the svn. Works with this version.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  17. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

Thanks for reporting. I asssume it is a simple copy+paste issue. Should be easy to solve.

18. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

This is not a promotion that can be achieved in the game. Every native warrior should have this promotion automatically - but I will double check the code.

19. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

Hm, sounds as a strange bug with the map. I have encountered such bug in the past. Please let me know if it appears again. I thought that the bug was fixed.

20. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

Hm, that sounds strange. I never had this issue with the king.