1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Religion and Revolution' started by raystuttgart, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

Hmm, a very strange bug indeed!:crazyeye: But now at least I know where to expect problems, which helps a lot. :) Just a thought: if it crashes right after poping up a city-name-window, perhaps it has something to do with changing the look of the tile from "jungle" to "grassland"?

Nice! Thanx again!:) I'm glad to help at least like this, as some sort of a free game tester. :D

2. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

The plot itself does not cause the problems.
    It is the Jungle on the surrounding plots that are somehow related to the CTD.
    (No graphic is changing there. And it would also already be happening in TAC, which it does not.)

If you find another location that causes a CTD when founding a city, please attach a savegame as well. :thumbsup:

3. Naetur

Naetur Chieftain

Hey Ray! I'm afraid my problem is still not solved..

I edited Civilizationiv.ini but it didn't work. After creating a folder named "cortijo" (both in C:\ and in My Games, and both using \ and /) the saved games were not saved there. :blush:

That's not a problem at playing single but it is for playing multiplayer. I've also observed that when I want to save a game, the bar on the top of the screen (where the route should be) is completely empty.

I've also tried changing the routes for all the shortcuts included in the game. These shortcuts take me to folders which are not located in my fake windows but in my Mac. I've checked that they are essential for the game... So if they don't exist previously, the game will create them every time you launch it.

Here I wonder why can't I place all of those folders in C:\Games\Colonization as we usually do with the MODS. MODS are placed in a directory in C:\ instead of being as initially in User\My Games... That doesn't seem to be a problem at all for the game... Is it possible to re-direct those shortcuts or not??

Is there any way for my game to take all the data from C:\ instead of My Games??? Could I place it all in C:\? And so... HOW?

Sorry, many questions I ask now. I'm 100% sure that I'm very close to be able to play from my Mac and the reason it does not work properly must be a silly thing. I guess it would be good if all the data from the game were together in root C:\ avoiding to use the extra part located in My Games. How could I do that?? Thanks :)

4. Robert Surcouf

Robert Surcouf Civ4Col Modder

Hi Dmalleus
    It is quite strange indeed! :crazyeye: For me it works perfectly, no CTD, no nothing. Although I do get a message from the French king telling me I shouldn't build a colony there since there's isn't enough food. Do you get this message or not? Does it crash after the king contacts you or before? If you get his message, what happens if you finally abandon your idea, and therefore no colony is built?
    Yes! Thank you indeed!:goodjob:

Here's you new savegame. You can continue playing. I've only built a new colony (so you can check I there wasn't any CTD for me)

Attached Files:

5. raystuttgart

Sorry Naetur, I am currently way to busy to solve problems with MAC.
    (And as I said, I don't even know about MAC related aspects.)

I need to focus on the bugs and todos that are really caused by the mod itself.

Maybe ask in the Civ4 forums. :thumbsup:
    These guys could probably give you answers to MAC related things.

Interesting. :think:
    (And it might explain a bit, why I have such problems debugging it.)

2 Questions:

1. Did you test with your fix for CvMainInterface.py or was it plain Release 1 ?
    (I did test with plain Release 1.)

2. What is your Windows Performance Index ?
    (I did test on my relatively weak development system and had "Debugging" activated which also needs a lot of performance.)

The messages don't matter.
    (The bug does not seem to be related to food for example.)

It crashes right after the Pop-Up where you enter a name for the city.
    (And thus of course only when you decide to really build the city.)

6. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

Ok, I 'll do that. :)

7. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

Hi. :)
    If I abandon, nothing happend. Even if I accept, everything is ok until a message with a town's name po-up. Then it crashes, everytime. But, you already know that, raystuttgart localised the problem. Now, why would surrounding fields cause a problem, I have no idea...

Thanx! In general, I'll try to "get around" the problem like chopping a jungle on the town spot/surrounding spots via civ4editor, until a general solution of the problem appear.

8. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

@to all

I've tested my idea and it works. I changed the terrain feature "jungle" to a "light forest" via civ4 editor. Then I saved, build a city without a problem, enter civ4 editor again and turn back the surrounding fields to "jungle". I haven't touch the base terrrain like grassland or savannah, just a type of forest on it. A little annoying, but better something then nothing. :)

9. raystuttgart

I have some suspicion what causes the problem.
    (I will check that tonight.)

10. Robert Surcouf

Oh... Why didn't you try the savegame I gave you ? :dunno:
    1. I tested it with my own personal version of Release 1! It's our release with a few edited xml tags (I've changes gold/silvers/guns Europe prices, some movement points, natives' advance start points etc...). I haven't changed any python file nor any c++ files, only xml modifications... I can try with our plain mod if you want (I might have to downloaded it again though...

2. I really thought my computer was quite weak. The game is quite slow and it takes a long time to launch.
    However I'm surprised with my Windows Performance index which is not bad at all :eek: ( I can't imagine what would happen if I had 1.2 in every category :lol: ):
    5.1 for Processor (AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320 2.10 GHz)
    7.0 for RAM (4GB)
    4.2 for Graphic-Card (2D and Windows Aero :confused:)
    5.9 for Graphic-Card (3D)
    7.2 for Data Storage
    Windows 7 (64Bit)

Oh... I don't know what to say!

11. raystuttgart

It is generally not a good idea to test bugs that are reported by community with a modified version.
    (Even if the modifications are small.)

Results you will get are simply not reliable.
    Please always try to reproduce bugs with a clean Release. :thumbsup:

Your system is really strong. :thumbsup:
    (My development system is much weaker. My business laptop is about the same.)

12. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

I did, but I also tried this later, because I don't want to bother you or raystuttgart every time I want to build a city near jungles.

13. raystuttgart

Mystery about this and other bug is which I could reproduce but not debug is "more or less" solved.
    (All bugs I could not debug seem to be like this.)

@dmalleus:
    Do you play in FullScreen-Mode or in MinimizedScreen-Mode ?

Explanation:

Since I use debugging a lot lately, I have always been playing in MinimizedScreen-Mode lately.
    (Thus I could more easily connect to threads with my development environment and stuff like that.)

In MinimizedScreen Mode I do get those bugs.
    In FullScreen Mode I do not get them.

Conclusion:

1. Everytime a user reports a bug like that we should ask him about MinimizedScreen-Mode.

2. The bug seem not to be related to the logic of the mod itself.

3. I am not sure what it is though. General Problem with MinimizedScreen, Performance Issue considering Graphic Card, ... :dunno:
    (I will try to verify with my strong business laptop next week by seeing how that machine reacts with the savegames in MinimizedScreen Mode.)

I am quite relieved. :)

14. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

Well, FullScreen. Actually, I never played Civ4Colonization in MinimizedScreen-Mode.

15. raystuttgart

Then it is probably related somehow to Performance.
    (Although I cannot explain how "Jungle" fits into that.)

But Performance is something we will also be working on. :thumbsup:

Could you give me the Windows Performance Index of your machine ?

16. dmalleus

dmalleus Chieftain

It's like this:

4.7 for Processor
    6.8 for RAM (4GB)
    6.8 for Graphic-Card (Desktop)
    6.8 for Graphic-Card (3D)
    5.9 for Data Transfer Rate
    Windows 7 (64Bit)

If this can help you somehow, you're welcome. :)

17. Robert Surcouf

Well, I've tested again with a clean Release. Conclusion: no CTD for me :dunno:
    So on the bright side, we might not have done anything wrong (the CTD isn't related to a bug if you're right), but we might want to improve performances, wouldn't we? But how do we do that ? :confused:

18. raystuttgart

Some considerations:

• Introducing good structured FPKs (archives for graphics)
    • Checking and eventually improving code (loops, unnecessary checks, ... in DLL)
    • Always using Atlasses for buttons and Icons
    • Reducing size of graphics
    • Caching variables as Isabelxxx had suggested

But before we start doing that we should first continue with:

• Bugfixing
    • Improvment (Screens, Features, ...)
    • Balancing

19. Robert Surcouf

I don't know "caching variables" means? :confused:
    Isabellxxx hunts down variables? Does she kill them ? ;)
    Where did she suggest that? Have I missed a few messages?

Sure! :goodjob:

20. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Emperor

We can also search in the graphic folder for unnecessary files. I know that there are some unneeded Files.