[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Well, it was somewhat near a mountain range. Who knows. I'm opening the save game again now and see if its reproduceable. If it is, its uploaded.

I will however comment on AI placements. They tend to build a lot of small settlements now. One to three in size, going deep into the heartland sometimes. I tend to prefer a few nicely producing settlements that spreads from an initial point, not random and having potential to piss the natives straight off.

:( Nope.

I've gone through my python eventtrigger functions to try to clean them up; I didn't identify any obvious problem so far, but I'm not very familiar with how these functions are called by the game during different types of eventtriggers, I will keep looking.

As some others have reported, I have also seen problems with CTDs that aren't reproducible by save-reload, often happening in mid to late game. This now seems to be getting a little bit less with recent versions, but it's still unfortunately much more than the vanilla game and likely enough to cause annoyance to players.

It doesn't seem to obviously happen in one specific type of situation. Perhaps there's a memory leak somewhere, or another minor problem that if corrected could improve performance/stability? It's hard to know how we can track that kind of thing down.. Ray, do you think its possible to use Autorun = 1 in CivilizationIV.ini while using a debug DLL, to make it run several hundred turns on its own and thus catch any random CTDs and see their cause directly?

Ray, do you think its possible to use Autorun = 1 in CivilizationIV.ini while using a debug DLL, to make it run several hundred turns on its own and thus catch any random CTDs and see their cause directly?

Basically that is what I have been doing or trying to do. :)
(I have simply used Cheat Codes though to have Autoplay run for X rounds.)

But I stopped doing so, until we have not cleaned up.

Everytime Python does something like calling "getPlayer(-1)" the Debug-DLL will scream anxiously "SOMEBODY IS TRYING TO DO SOMETHING VERY STRANGE !!!!" and halt at that position. ;)

These are (some of) the Asserts we have been talking about.

Some CTDs might also simply be related to the Issue Performance of Graphics. (Not cleaned up, no FPK)

So after the Python and Graphics are cleaned up and we have created a FPK, I will try debugging again. :thumbsup:

Maybe it is also a very good idea to move a lot of Python Calls of Event System into DLL.
(System Enhancement ...)

We are constantly improving things. :thumbsup:

Yes of course. :confused:
(I have started all my recent games like that.)

Did you clean your caches ?
(Very important, especially if you are switching mods.)

Yes, that is DoaNE. :)

Yes, we do have bugs.
Another issue is performance.

We are working on both. :thumbsup:

But as I said:
I was able to play about 100 rounds today without one single CTD or major bug. :dunno:

In order to fix bugs however, we need savegames where these bugs are reproducable.
(Screenshots only help very little.)

The CTDs are random and I have not been able to capture one yet.

If I save every turn I have no CTD. But if I do Not save but every 4 to 6 turns I get random CTD.

I have activated the dump file and logging in the config file.

Also the very last line in the Config file has a value of -1, all others are either 0 or 1. Is this correct?

Ray I've been on these forums since June of 2007. I started testing and playing Rise of Mankind a Civ IV BtS mod when Zappara 1st put it out. I also played and tested for A New Dawn a Modmod for RoM made by Afforess. I have currently been a tester for Caveman2Cosmos since it's beginnings. Clearing cache and "other" things are familiar to me.

I don't know all your ppl but I do know you interact with Isabelxxx. She was helping out and took over the job (for awhile) of Improving the Rise of Mankind 1.03E Merge with karadoc's K-mod called KROME made by jtanner28. jtanner28 used RoM1.03E because I asked for that specific version.

I said all that to let you know I'm not a stranger to testing and reporting. And I've worked with 3 different modders/teams for BtS over the last 5 years. I'm now retired and have more "free' time available to test. If you could use my help I would be glad to do so. I also have SVN access (not write) to d/l the newest versions Of KROME, AND2, and Caveman2Cosmos. I update and test on a regular basis. I report on a regular basis.

JosEPh :)

I searched some more and did find an instance where event python called getPlayer on a King player when that wasn't needed. Can you tell if fixing that solved an Assert? If not, I could try temporarily inactivating python events to track down which causes it. (Though it could be one of the TAC events, there are very many getplayer calls in those)

JosEPh_II thanks a lot for offering to help with mod testing! I'd vote that we'd be glad to have your help :king:

Alexander Hamilton bug:

No, the bonusses are correct.
The buildings are just listed in the wrong order. :)

Townhall and Villagehall were switched in their order.
(Was a mini bug from TAC that is corrected now in our internal revision.)

This is a "normal" Dump file generated by Colonization and the savegame of a Random freeze. I have an earlier savegame of another random freeze but no dump file (well I actually do have a Dump file for it but I saved it as Full Dump and even compressed it's 89MB).

So far I can reload the Mod and proceed past the random freezes. So I expect you to be able to load the save and be able to continue.

Maybe the Dump file will help.

JosEPh :)

System specs:
Win XP Pro x64
Dual Core E7400 2.8GHz
8GB DDR2 1066Mhz ram
MSI R6450 Vid card with 2GB DDR3 ram

JosEPh

I won't be at home until the weekend.
But then I will try to have the game run in Automatic Mode with Debug-DLL again. :thumbsup:

The AI for the Natives is spawning Braves at a very high rate. Too high in this current version 1.1 imho. The map is literally crawling with braves and when they are raiding in the early 1600's they come with just not 1 or 2 braves units but up to a 6+ at a time. And this is just on Explorer level.

There are also too many Native cities.

Northern starts in the New World have a major Food problem, while starting in the Southern has plenty.

Will be happy to see the new version soon I hope. Random freezes occurring ~ every 50 turns in v1.1. Not CTDs but game locks up. Have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get out. Which then produces the Dump file.

Can you all use the Dump file generated by the game? Or did I waste time and effort posting one?

JosEPh

The AI for the Natives is spawning Braves at a very high rate.

Will check when I find the time. :thumbsup:

I had that feeling as well.
Will check and eventually improve when I find the time. :thumbsup:

Northern starts in the New World have a major Food problem, while starting in the Southern has plenty.

That should not be a big problem if you use "Hunting". :confused:

Can you all use the Dump file generated by the game? Or did I waste time and effort posting one?

The Dump file is referring to colonization.exe in another install directory than I have.
Also, it does not match the current internal revision anymore.

So what would help is savegames with reproducible CTDs.
(For something like that I would install Release 1.1 and set up my workspace with that source configuration.)

For random CTDs I will probably simply try to run in Auto-Play with Debug-DLL and see what I find.

---------

We are working on things. :thumbsup:
(But we have real lifes as well and the active team is small at the moment.)

Please be patient. :)

So basically I'm wasting your time and mine then.

Sorry to have been a bother.

JosEPh

So basically I'm wasting your time and mine then.

You did not waste my time, don't worry. :)

Sorry to have been a bother.

There really is nothing to be sorry for. :thumbsup:
I do appreciate very much, that you are trying to help.

But currently I can only tell you:

1. We are working on things and the mod gets better step by step.
2. We will need time to do so. (More experienced modders would be great, too. :lol:)
3. Savegames with reproducible CTDs would be great.
4. Random CTDs I will try to find with Autoplay and Debug-DLL.
5. I am currently much too busy to check balancing but I will do so after the CTDs are resolved and performance is improved.

The AI for the Natives is spawning Braves at a very high rate. Too high in this current version 1.1 imho. The map is literally crawling with braves and when they are raiding in the early 1600's they come with just not 1 or 2 braves units but up to a 6+ at a time. And this is just on Explorer level.

That's something present in vanilla too, it's strange you are the only one who has noticed this too.

I thought about this some time ago and I reach to the conclusion that the main problem is how native units are generated.
First we have units and then professions. The native unit has no cost in food or any other yield, so all cities are constantly creating new native units. Note Europeans can not do that, the city grows and a new unit appears.
Native use the opposite system, they grow and they can create population by using production!

Ray could do whatever he wants; but here are my experiences about what I did with this problem. Also note is still something being tested so I'm open to other things.

I added a yield requirement to the native unit. Food, 50. That way I wanted to relate in some way the amount of units a city can support with the food availability of that city.
First impression: it works as intended! Natives start with a standard number of units, but now the have to spend more time and resources to create new units. Also due to this system, they now use more population to obtain food; but note that at any moment they can convert population in brave units so there is no bad side of this. Only the grow rate has changed.

I also thought about changing the profession... why they can create braves without any type of weapon/yield requirement? So I tried also with food. The results are mixed; it adds much more playability to the game since now you can capture native cities (or better said, the population units which have not been converted into braves). So conquering native cities really makes sense and it's not like they can convert anything into soldiers.
But it requires a small adjustment to 1 AI function; because the AI always try to convert native units to brave by default (it's the default profession for that unit) so it will produce several asserts during game. There is no more game problems associated.

Finally I added other thing, I created a new profession similar to the actual brave. The idea is to let the AI convert native units into braves as default but that brave unit has some tweaks in strength or other parameters (can be used along some limitation as the default one). And then the new profession would have the same stats than the actual braves, but they would required food.
This way you reduce the real spawning rate of soldier units while you allow natives to still convert without costs population units into some type of weak unit.

I reach to the conclusion that the main problem is how native units are generated.
First we have units and then professions. The native unit has no cost in food or any other yield, so all cities are constantly creating new native units. Note Europeans can not do that, the city grows and a new unit appears.
Native use the opposite system, they grow and they can create population by using production!

Sorry, but I am confused and maybe don't understand what you mean. :confused:

Natives use the same system for growth as Europeans do.
If the food goes above a certain threshold a unit (default colonist Unit with its default Profession) is created.

So for both:
more food -> more growth

Edit:

You are right ! :thumbsup:
Native Units are really also created by production.
(I am modding this game for years now and have never noticed ! :eek:)

I really have to think about the implications for our mod. :think:

Top Bottom