1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Religion and Revolution' started by raystuttgart, Dec 13, 2011.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

@agnat86:

When your area of influence expands you are simply not asked if you want to take away the land of Natives or not.
    (This has never been different. Not in Vanilla, not in TAC not in RaR.)

The difference with this feature is simply, that taking away the land is not as "gradually" but happens at once,
    due to the City Radius expanding and not only Area of Influence.

European City Radius always dominates Native City Radius.
    (It is the same rule that applied when City Radius was still 1 Plot.)

@Nightinggale:

I fully agree, that this is not a bug but a feature request.

The feature Full-2-Plot-City-Radius behaves just as I want it to. :dunno:
    There is nothing I want to change here, but of course everybody is free to do so and publish it as a ModMod.

--------

Maybe I have not stated it clearly yet to everybody.
    But my time as a public Civ4Col modder is over.

Actually it already was after Release 1.3.
    But I had gotten many requests to publish another release so I finally said that I would do it.

Then Release 1.4 was out and I was really happy with it.
    A few small issues were noticed and I said, well ok, let us fix these.

So there will be another (relatively small) Release 1.5.
    But that is it then for me.

All I really want to do at the moment is to fix some real bugs, if they are reported.
    I want to leave the Civ4Col modding community with a clean and stable release.

I will not be coding new features that potentially introduce further bugs.
    No mod can be perfect for everybody anyways.

However, everybody can start modding and change things to his liking. :thumbsup:
    (All sources and everything else you need is available in the download.)

I hope you understand. :)

2. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

As the next release seems to be coming really quickly, I thought I'd report some minor bugs/balancing issues I've encountered.

- When planting forests (a great addition to the game, btw), improvements like plantations, farms and ruins, which normally can't be built in forests, are left standing. They probably should be destroyed when planting a forest. I haven't drained marshes yet, so I don't know if this also occurs in that case.

- If you automate a fishing boat, it often will move to a coastal fish resource, and start gathering 2 or 3 food a turn, instead of the 20 fish it would gather on a Cod resource. Either the coastal resources could give greater yields to fishing boats (say, 5 times as much), or the AI could send fishing boats to high sea fish only.

- The windmill and watermill seem quite useless right now, as they are relatively expensive, compared to their effects. For example, the windmill costs 80 hammers and 40 tools to build, for a bonus of +1 food per turn. The butcher's house costs only 30 hammers for the same +1 food bonus, while providing a place for butchers to work as well. Either the windmill and watermill could be made cheaper, or their effect could be tweaked (for example: a bonus of +10% and +15% food production respectively).

- Currently, there is no way to improve yields from deserts. If you could build mines, you can use these plots to set up a salt production line. Now you need to look specifically for hills to be able to mine sufficient amounts of salt. This isn't really a bug, of course, but a little change that might improve gameplay.

- Some bonus resources seem a little underpowered as well. For example, the buffalo only provides 2 furs, less than a forest bordering a river. Likewise, bananas, turkeys and coconuts give a bonus of just +2, whic means that even an Expert Farmer will produce more food on that tile if you cut away the jungle and build a farm, as if there wasn't a special resource at all. If these bonuses would simply be increased to about +4 or +5, they would be worth seeking out. These resources are a nice decoration of the map, of course, but it would be nice if they also had a more significant effect.

- Treasures have been given a strength of 1 to be able to defend against wild animals, as it seems likely that the little guy pulling the cart of gold would try to defend himself. Pioneers, wagon trains and missionaries, on the other hand still have no strength at all. As it seems unlikely that these units would give up without a fight when attacked by wild animals, perhaps they should have a strength of 1 as well.

- There is a little bug in Tuglawina's leaderhead. Sometimes, his eyes start to shine bright yellow. While this is a minor bug that doesn't really bother me and also looks quite funny, I thought I'd mention in nevertheless.

- Often, my king contacts me to sell me units while I don't have the money to pay him, neither when I ended my previous turn, nor when I start my current turn. Also, sometimes I sell goods in Europe so that I do have money to buy units, but then I only have the option to decline, as the game doesn't seem to look at my current treasury, only at my treasure at some point in the past.

I realize that some of the things I think are bugs might be intentional, of course. In those cases, please just ignore what I said.:)

3. raystuttgart

AI does not use that feature and Human can simply replace the improvement.
    But well yes, I could destroy any improvement on that plot. :thumbsup:

Coastal Reource more yields --> destroy balancing
    Automation send to "Cod" only --> will make Automation almost useless

So I rather leave it as it is.

A house to simply butcher some animals is much easier to build than a Windmill or a Watermill.
    But I will think about making these buildings a bit cheaper. :think:

Will think about it. :think:

Yes, Buffalo could be increased a bit. :thumbsup:

I rather leave the balacing as it is.

It is known.
    We could not fix it.

That is known as well and has been discussed many times.

There is nothing I can do about the fact that the offered options sometimes do not fit the current money of the player,
    since he happened to buy / sell in Europe just before the DLL-Diplo-Event pops up.
    (Otherwise nothing will happen, since the rest is caught in DLL again.)

Also it is part of the design, that Diplomacy Events are also offered, when the player does not have the money.

4. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Penalty for fishing ground: (2*travel distance)/speed + (cargo capacity/tile production).
    Pick the tile with the lowest number and the average production each turn with be the biggest.
    The problem is where to write how to handle this.
    Another issue could be that it would likely use more CPU power than the current code. Maybe it's best not to do anything about it at all.

Speaking of water movement automation: ships with autoexplore aren't attracted to "ruins" like scouts on land.

Agreed. +1 is not really anything with a colony, which can harvest from 24 tiles + the colony's own tile.

It generates the popup window at the start of turn. Maybe you are send to Europe where you can sell goods, but the window is already generated in the background. I'm not sure if that is even possible to fix.
    McDuck solution: make sure you never spend your gold and you will not encounter low gold issues :p

5. raystuttgart

If you want to, you can take a look at that. :thumbsup:

I could not find a good solution.
    But maybe a better programmer than myself can.

6. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

I've just encountered another problem with the Cod resource. It can appear on any ocean tile, but with the 2-plot city screen, this means that it sometimes falls within the workable area of a colony (see screenshot). Maybe it should be modified to appear only 3 plots or further from the coast.

EDIT: About giving coastal resources higher yields, that isn't necessary to make fishing boats function better when automated.
    You could also leave them as they are, set the yield value of Cod to +4 Food, and give Fishing Boats a standard +400% bonus when producing food. That way, fishermen in colonies will produce the same amount of food as they do now, while fishing boats will gather 20 Food/Turn from Cod, 15 Food/Turn from Fish, 10 Food/Turn from Shells and 5 Food/Turn from Crabs.

Attached Files:

7. raystuttgart

There is no XML setting for that.

That is what I just did. :thumbsup:

Not necessary, I had already coded something similar in the DLL.
    (For the Bonus Resources that gave less Yields than Cod.)

8. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

It just occurred to me that the issues with Cod appearing within your 2-plot city radius could also occur for Whales. Maybe a similar solution is required for whaling boats as well?

9. raystuttgart

No, because there is no Profession in City that can work on Whales.

10. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

There is a little bug when playing the French. The Cooperative trait should give you a permanent +2 relations bonus with all natives, and if the French are played by the AI, they receive this bonus. However, if a human player plays the French, they do not get the bonus.

11. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

when a new Bonus is discovered by a Mine, it does not seem to update the tile yield values to reflect the effect of the Bonus.

12. raystuttgart

The Code seems to be fine. :dunno:
    There is nothing in there, that would make it work for AI but not for Human.
    Spoiler :

Code:
    if (kTrait.getNativeAttitudeChange() != 0)
    	{
    		for (int iPlayer = 0; iPlayer < MAX_PLAYERS; ++iPlayer)
    		{
    			CvPlayer& kLoopPlayer = GET_PLAYER((PlayerTypes) iPlayer);

if (kLoopPlayer.isAlive() && kLoopPlayer.isNative())
    			{
    				kLoopPlayer.AI_changeAttitudeExtra(getID(), kTrait.getNativeAttitudeChange());

if (iChange > 0 && kTrait.getNativeAttitudeChange() > 0)
    				{
    					GET_TEAM(getTeam()).makePeace(kLoopPlayer.getTeam());
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}

Sorry, I don't get it. :dunno:

All "DiscoverRands" of Bonusses through Improvements have been set to 0 in RaR.
    (Because it sooner or later totally detroyed the Balancing.)

Otherwise it could the bonus is simply not vaild on that plot. :dunno:

13. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

I cannot see it in that code either, but it definitely works this way (see screenshots). Could there be codes somewhere else that meddle with this? Perhaps there is something that resets a player's attitude bonus with natives to zero at the start of every game?

Attached Files:

14. raystuttgart

Which difficulty level do you play ?
    Because there are different parts that compose Attitude Extra.

Try to choose the same difficulty level as AI (has as default) and then please check again. :thumbsup:

Just checked the code again, cannot find antything wrong. :dunno:

The only thing I could imagine would be, that at the point of time the human player is initialized, the Native players have not been initialized yet.
    (Thus they would not be considered "alive". But then I cannot do anything about that.)

Also I don't understand why it would work for the AI European players then.

15. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

I just started a couple of games with different difficulty levels and world sizes, and these factors have no influence. If there is an effect of difficulty on attitude, it is a hidden variable, as difficulty level is a variable that is shown when you choose "No Hidden Variables."

But I've found out when it happens now: not when a player is human, but when a player's civ is defined before the start of the game. When I started a game in custom game and defined myself to be the spanish and another player to be the french, they wouldn't get the bonus either, even though they were an AI player this time. But when I only defined myself to be spanish and left the other players random at the start, then the French would get the bonus. So the game somehow doesn't grant the bonus to players whose civs are defined at the start.

Probably, if you would start a game, left your own civ at random, and would be assigned to play the French by the game, you would get the bonus as well.

Edit: No, it's even different. It is caused by the order in which the civs are placed at the start of the game. I just found out: If player 2 is French and player 3 is Arawak, the French don't get the bonus. If player 2 is Arawak and player 3 is French, then they do get the bonus. I think the game adds civs in their numerical order: when it creates the French, it gives a relations bonus to all native civs it already created then. In a normal game, the human player is the first player, then come the natives, and then come the other Europeans. This is why, when the player is French, he gets no bonus, as there are no natives yet when his civ is added. But because the European AI players are the latest civs that are added, they do get the bonus, as all native civs are already created by then.

A solution might be to make the game add first all native players, and then all european players, no matter in what turn order they play. But I don't know if that can be easily done.

16. raystuttgart

Well, yes, that was what I was guessing:

Order of Player initialization

But Human Player must be the first to initialize.

No it can't be done easily.

Well, it is not really pretty.
    But also it does not ruin the complete game.

As long as this usually works for AI, it is not that critical for me.
    (So I rather leave it as it is instead of rebalancing.)

Also, the rest of the trait bonusses of the french still work.
    The "+2 Attitude Extra" is not the most important part.

Normal Player Initialization:

1. Human European
    2. Natives
    3. Other Europeans
    4. Kings
    5. Wild Animals

17. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Chieftain

Don't know if this has already been reported, but I had a CTD when I accidentally removed the only colonist from a city.

18. raystuttgart

That is strange. :dunno:
    (And no, it has not been reported before.)

I could swear that I had just recently tried "Abandoning Cities" and it worked as it should.
    (Also tested "not being possible, when being at war".)

But I will take a look again. :thumbsup:

------

Edit:

2 Questions:

1. Did you play with or without "Wild Animals" ?

2. Is it reproducable ?
    (Or was it "random" and happened only once ?)

Edit 2:

Just checked.
    Everything seems to be fine. :thumbsup:

Abandoning Cities works just perfectly.
    No CTD or other problem when moving (or trying to move) last citizen out of city.

19. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Chieftain

Hmmm, seemed to be random.

But now I have another one for you.

While trying to load a game I got a runtime error

"Program Sid meirers Civilization IV Colonization\Colonization.exe
    this program has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team blah, blah"

20. raystuttgart

Just telling me that your game did not load does not help. :)
    I need much more information.

1. Is it reproducable ?
    2. Your Windows Performance Index ?
    3. Mapsize you have been playing ?
    4. Your Game Settings (Graphics) ?
    5. Is virus scanner running while you load the game ?

--------

For me, savegames load just perfectly. :dunno:
    The mod works without CTDs or any other serious problems.